• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The World Championships, how though are they?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
il_fiammingo said:
11 laps of 245 vertical meters totals 2695m. (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/WC-Geelong-2010)

Lombardy has around 4300 vertical meters. Therefor some of the sprinters should have a great chance.

+200m or so on the way to Geelong. What is MSR?

I think Gilbert, if his form is anything like it was at that time last year.

There will definitely be a bigger group going into the final lap, compared with Mendriso. Maybe 20-30, Freire might make that group but who knows...

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Guys I'm thinking Haussler. It's in his native country and the parcours suit him, but I'm a little confused as to his citizenship. I don't think he'll race Worlds as a German, so he may sit out.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
+200m or so on the way to Geelong. What is MSR?

I think Gilbert, if his form is anything like it was at that time last year.

There will definitely be a bigger group going into the final lap, compared with Mendriso. Maybe 20-30, Freire might make that group but who knows...

The only bump onto geelong is the west gate bridge which is only about 4.5%. I've ridden up it and it is quite easy.

ImmaculateKadence said:
Guys I'm thinking Haussler. It's in his native country and the parcours suit him, but I'm a little confused as to his citizenship. I don't think he'll race Worlds as a German, so he may sit out.

+1 agreed.........but also freire and Davis should not be forgotten.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Will you be at the race Auscyclefan94?......
:eek:
Of course I will!:D Coming back from a little holiday before then but will be there!

I have to take every chance to watch a big cycle race I can, especially living in melbourne.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Of course I will!:D Coming back from a little holiday before then but will be there!

I have to take every chance to watch a big cycle race I can, especially living in melbourne.

We should catch up sometime. I'm in Melbourne too.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
That run into Geelong cannot be underestimated. At that time of the year, the crosswinds can be brutal. If the winds are up, then expect a quarter to half the field to drop off and be out of contention when they hit the circuit. It's highly possible. Depends on the weather on the day.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't matter how many times you go over a hill that is a little longer than 1km in length. It might soften the sprinters a little, but won't drop them and 10km is plenty of time to reel in any opportunists. Valid point about the wind.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Madrid had around 3000hm and it was a sprint... so, hmm.
I think attackers will have a difficult time.

...but wasn't it basicly a sprint between Boonen, Valverde and Bettini with Samu Sanchez supplying Valverde's leadout? Boonen who climbs well enough to dominate the steep climbs of Flanders and Valverde and Bettini who excell in the Ardennes.

Angliru said:
...but wasn't it basicly a sprint between Boonen, Valverde and Bettini with Samu Sanchez supplying Valverde's leadout? Boonen who climbs well enough to dominate the steep climbs of Flanders and Valverde and Bettini who excell in the Ardennes.
Petacchi improved in climbing. Bennati can handle this as well. Hushovd idem.. Hagen idem.

There are more sprinters who can survive this then there used to be in Madrid. Zabel and Peta had a bad day in 05

This debate somehow comes back every year. But in the end, I guess it all depends on how the race is ridden.

If there's a very aggresive team like Italy last few years, then anything can happen. Maybe they (Italy) will try and make it too hard for Cavendish, and just perfect for Petacchi...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
This debate somehow comes back every year. But in the end, I guess it all depends on how the race is ridden.

If there's a very aggresive team like Italy last few years, then anything can happen. Maybe they (Italy) will try and make it too hard for Cavendish, and just perfect for Petacchi...

Maybe the Spanish make it too hard for Petacchi, just perfect for Freire? :p:p:p

auscyclefan94 said:

Im going for the TT/Espoirs/Women/Elite Races.......about 3/4 days........We should go for ride?

ImmaculateKadence said:
What about the weather that time of year? I know the winds could create some havoc, but is the weather typically nice or is there a good chance it could be raining?

Its Melbourne so RAINING is definantley on the cards..............I wish they left the small bridge on the decent(from the 2nd climb on course)would be fun to watch 100-140 riders sqeeze into that small corridor....i still think only 20-40 riders will be there at the finish in september...I guess we will wait and see?

ImmaculateKadence said:
What about the weather that time of year? I know the winds could create some havoc, but is the weather typically nice or is there a good chance it could be raining?

The weather at that time of the year should be fairly warm - high 20's maybe low 30's Celsius. However, with the race being Melbourne there is always a chance of rain.

A lot of the race is held on roads right near the coastline, so the hotter it is the more likely there will be race splitting crosswinds...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Im going for the TT/Espoirs/Women/Elite Races.......about 3/4 days........We should go for ride?

I would love to but I am coming back from a holiday on the Saturday morning so will be stuffed by then.Going to the men's road race. I will watch the others races on tv.

TRENDING THREADS