• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The World Championships, how though are they?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Everytime there's a race in Australia, the local convicts on this board all try desperately to talk up the difficulty of the parcours.

Willunga Hill > Tourmalet, don't you know.
:rolleyes:
Wilunga is a tough climb. Tougher that over rated climbs such as the cipressa or the poggio. 3.5 km at 7% is tough. Definetly not as hard as the tourmalet.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
...but wasn't it basicly a sprint between Boonen, Valverde and Bettini with Samu Sanchez supplying Valverde's leadout? Boonen who climbs well enough to dominate the steep climbs of Flanders and Valverde and Bettini who excell in the Ardennes.

So are you saying Boonen can win in Melb? Don't underestimate our little climbs or winds in Melb!:D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
:rolleyes:
Wilunga is a tough climb. Tougher that over rated climbs such as the cipressa or the poggio. 3.5 km at 7% is tough. Definetly not as hard as the tourmalet.

Meh 7% over 3km isn't something a peleton would fear too much.

anyway somebody like friere, or boonen will win this.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Wilunga isn't a tough climb, in the context of the race its a significant climb, this year it almost decided the race. 3km 7%? what is that cat 3?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
7% over 3km is nothing, maybe when it is your first race of the season but in an other wise dull stage / stage race it's pretty meh. I mean when that kinda climb is the biggest factor in a stage race, well that speaks volumes for the race.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
back on topic...it isn't 3km at 7% at worlds, it 800m at about 12.5% and 400m at about the same 11 times every 16km. 12.5% is harsh but the distance is so short they'll punch over it in under 2 minutes probably much less every time and thats the longer climb. All the sprinters will make the finale unless they are on a bad day or out of form and why would you take someone out of form?
We may wonder about it, but enough teams will have an interest in a sprint that it will be one.

karlboss said:
back on topic...it isn't 3km at 7% at worlds, it 800m at about 12.5% and 400m at about the same 11 times every 16km. 12.5% is harsh but the distance is so short they'll punch over it in under 2 minutes probably much less every time and thats the longer climb. All the sprinters will make the finale unless they are on a bad day or out of form and why would you take someone out of form?
We may wonder about it, but enough teams will have an interest in a sprint that it will be one.
That kind of depends on the various sprinters this season. If Cavendish is as dominating (or more) than last season, I don't think anyone else than the british team will have a particular interest in a bunch sprint.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:

I dunno.. I can see the 800m really hurting some of the sprinters, and if some of the guys give it a go... it could be an interesting situation.

maltiv said:
That kind of depends on the various sprinters this season. If Cavendish is as dominating (or more) than last season, I don't think anyone else than the british team will have a particular interest in a bunch sprint.

That then only begs the question whether or not the British team is strong enough to control a race like the WCs, and in my opinion they're far from strong enough.

But I doubt other countries will totally abandon them.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
That then only begs the question whether or not the British team is strong enough to control a race like the WCs, and in my opinion they're far from strong enough.

But I doubt other countries will totally abandon them.

Well other teams would IMO be well advised to try to attack, but any team that doesn't make the breakaway group, or at least don't get a good rider into it would probably prefer to take their chances in a sprint with Cavendish, rather than just give up.