• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 26, 2017
369
4
2,285
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Nah, Dennis is outside the top 10 and ITT is a huge carrot. Can't imagine that he wouldn't go for the stage win here.
I'm not saying he won't give it all he has, i'm saying that he's been riding hard and must be just as tired as every other GC contender. But this isn't a Rohan discussion thread, so let's end it there.
 
Jul 29, 2016
365
0
0
I do not buy it. It is unreal He was never before close to that kind of performance.

Does anyone know whether they have new doc in MS? Since it is most probable explanation... .
 
Re:

lartiste said:
I do not buy it. It is unreal He was never before close to that kind of performance.

Does anyone know whether they have new doc in MS? Since it is most probable explanation... .
Agree all the way. One might have expected Simon Yates -- if he was 100% and in top form, and riding the best he's ever ridden -- to be a few seconds behind Pinot and Pozzovivo right now -- and that would be a big step up, at this stage of the Giro. To be dominating like he's been -- this is an improvement that is off the charts. Make you wonder what Adam will do in the TDF.
 
I don't know how clean cycling is. There are a few suspicious results here and there but even yesterday when I posted in the clinic about Froome, I was more joking than being serious as I don't want to speculate about things I don't know anything about. Hardly ever are there nowadays performances where I immediately think "this doesn't make sense, something is definitely wrong here" like Najar in this years Vuelta a San Juan. In other words I don't often really expect that someone will get caught even less that someone really famous will get caught, but this is one of these rare cases. Maybe Yates is clean and really somehow improved so much, but if it turns out that he was tested positive in a few weeks I wouldn't even be a little bit shocked. The way how he easily rode away from everyone really reminded me of Ricco and the fact that he hasn't shown anything before this season which could have made me think he has this in him makes this even more unbelievable. If Froome rides away from anyone like this I would find it suspicious despite Froome being a four time tdf champion. But Simon freakin Yates?
 
Jul 29, 2016
365
0
0
Gigs_98 said:
I don't know how clean cycling is. There are a few suspicious results here and there but even yesterday when I posted in the clinic about Froome, I was more joking than being serious as I don't want to speculate about things I don't know anything about. Hardly ever are there nowadays performances where I immediately think "this doesn't make sense, something is definitely wrong here" like Najar in this years Vuelta a San Juan. In other words I don't often really expect that someone will get caught even less that someone really famous will get caught, but this is one of these rare cases. Maybe Yates is clean and really somehow improved so much, but if it turns out that he was tested positive in a few weeks I wouldn't even be a little bit shocked. The way how he easily rode away from everyone really reminded me of Ricco and the fact that he hasn't shown anything before this season which could have made me think he has this in him makes this even more unbelievable. If Froome rides away from anyone like this I would find it suspicious despite Froome being a four time tdf champion. But Simon freakin Yates?
Have one more argument to support the case - Roman Kreuziger who I like was not flying like this in spring classics since 2013, at first I was thinking, that he is fighting for new contract, now it seems clear, that it is not the case.

Always I see Yates attacks in Giro, it reminds me strongly Saunier Duval. What a shame.
 
Re:

lartiste said:
I do not buy it. It is unreal He was never before close to that kind of performance.

Does anyone know whether they have new doc in MS? Since it is most probable explanation... .
Don't know if this doctor is still with the team. He was in 2016 pictured here with our hero at his first win in a GT, Vuelta:



His name is Manuel Rodriguez Alonso, former jobs: doctor for the Spanish Olympic committee from 1996 to 2004, and Team Doctor at ONCE (2000), Mapei (2001, 2002) and Quick Step (2003 and 2004).

Also to be noted, terbutaline for which Yates was busted, needs a TUE. This means you can basically take as much as you want orally. There is no reason to think Yates is riding this stratospheric Giro without a TUE.
 
You normally get an idea of a rider's level in their fifth year - Dumoulin won the Giro in his sixth year and showed GC prowess from year 4 - Yates finished top 10 in the Vuelta in year 3 and in the TDF in his fourth year - So the progression of both riders is following a linear path - In saying that Dumoulin's performance in the 2017 Giro was somewhat surprising, and S.Yates performance is a bit more surprising - I worry when a rider who has shown nothing on GC suddenly pops up and wins a GT, or if a riders performance jumps out of the ground after 8 or 9 years.
 
Re:

yaco said:
You normally get an idea of a rider's level in their fifth year - Dumoulin won the Giro in his sixth year and showed GC prowess from year 4 - Yates finished top 10 in the Vuelta in year 3 and in the TDF in his fourth year - So the progression of both riders is following a linear path - In saying that Dumoulin's performance in the 2017 Giro was somewhat surprising, and S.Yates performance is a bit more surprising - I worry when a rider who has shown nothing on GC suddenly pops up and wins a GT, or if a riders performance jumps out of the ground after 8 or 9 years.
Nah, don't buy that at all. Yates has gone from top 10 material, no more no less, to dominating a GT in extreme style in 12 months. If he were to podium - fine. Even if he won, it would be extremely surprising, but ok. But this isn't winning, this is destroying. It's not linear at all. Dumoulin was leading the vuelta until the final stage - from there, it was clear that he had the ability, if he lost some weight and prepared for it better, to win a gt. Last year, with some tt miles thrown in, he won. Not by that much, but he won; he was a favourite in the lead up to it, though. Yates hasn't shown this ability, ever. Imagine if Formolo did this. Or Woods. Or Meintjes. Or Jungels. Even if barguil did this it would be astounding. It's weirder when you put into context of riders he was similar to last year, no? Let's not pretend, this is utterly astonishing.
 
Feb 21, 2017
757
0
0
The last week will tell the tale I think. Really suspicious so far, but if the form keeps, heads shold be scratching.
 
I remember in 2016 Orica had a great year and had a lot of guys flying- Yates brothers, Chaves, even Damien Howson turned into a really good domestique in the mountains and had a great Giro and Vuelta. last year they all seemed way off, almost like they got the call to tone it down. now they're back at it and better than ever, Kreuziger was flying in the Ardennes and now Jack Haig is the best climbing domestique in the world.
 
Re:

zlev11 said:
I remember in 2016 Orica had a great year and had a lot of guys flying- Yates brothers, Chaves, even Damien Howson turned into a really good domestique in the mountains and had a great Giro and Vuelta. last year they all seemed way off, almost like they got the call to tone it down. now they're back at it and better than ever, Kreuziger was flying in the Ardennes and now Jack Haig is the best climbing domestique in the world.
this time around is different: While the Yate brothers and the majority of the team members are elevating their game- ((((Chavito seems to be fading)))) which is an interesting detail, given the fact that Estevan was supposed to be the guy meant to lead the team in Italy due to his proven performance record- yet he's downspireling badly (setting aside injuries and personal affairs of course) in a very strange way >>> in comparison to the Yate brothers <<<<<

just too damn good to be true....
 
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
lartiste said:
I do not buy it. It is unreal He was never before close to that kind of performance.

Does anyone know whether they have new doc in MS? Since it is most probable explanation... .
Don't know if this doctor is still with the team. He was in 2016 pictured here with our hero at his first win in a GT, Vuelta:



His name is Manuel Rodriguez Alonso, former jobs: doctor for the Spanish Olympic committee from 1996 to 2004, and Team Doctor at ONCE (2000), Mapei (2001, 2002) and Quick Step (2003 and 2004).

Also to be noted, terbutaline for which Yates was busted, needs a TUE. This means you can basically take as much as you want orally. There is no reason to think Yates is riding this stratospheric Giro without a TUE.
That is actually not good at all. :(
 
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
yaco said:
You normally get an idea of a rider's level in their fifth year - Dumoulin won the Giro in his sixth year and showed GC prowess from year 4 - Yates finished top 10 in the Vuelta in year 3 and in the TDF in his fourth year - So the progression of both riders is following a linear path - In saying that Dumoulin's performance in the 2017 Giro was somewhat surprising, and S.Yates performance is a bit more surprising - I worry when a rider who has shown nothing on GC suddenly pops up and wins a GT, or if a riders performance jumps out of the ground after 8 or 9 years.
Nah, don't buy that at all. Yates has gone from top 10 material, no more no less, to dominating a GT in extreme style in 12 months. If he were to podium - fine. Even if he won, it would be extremely surprising, but ok. But this isn't winning, this is destroying. It's not linear at all. Dumoulin was leading the vuelta until the final stage - from there, it was clear that he had the ability, if he lost some weight and prepared for it better, to win a gt. Last year, with some tt miles thrown in, he won. Not by that much, but he won; he was a favourite in the lead up to it, though. Yates hasn't shown this ability, ever. Imagine if Formolo did this. Or Woods. Or Meintjes. Or Jungels. Even if barguil did this it would be astounding. It's weirder when you put into context of riders he was similar to last year, no? Let's not pretend, this is utterly astonishing.
It's less astonishing than the TT specialist Dumoulin coming out of nowhere in the Vuelta that year. He's had a steady progression. Ok, domination in this style was unexpected, but tbf with Froome this bad and this lack of TT kilometres, even a win isn't SHOCKING. Ok yeah I don't think anyone could have predicted this domination, but his rivals haven't shown a great level.
 
Not Bad. From 7th in the tour and 44th in the vuelta without doing nothing to destroying the field in 7 months was pretty unpredictable. 4 stage wins in 2 weeks, not even Pantani in 99'or Robobasso in 2006 were on this level.
 
hahahaha, that doctors résumé is awesome, about as dirty as you could get. does anyone know if he's still with the team?

i almost want to see this get as ridiculous as possible. how about a Haig-Yates 1-2 on Bardoneccia, a full minute ahead of the next guy? some real Saunier Duval sh*t. oh wait they kinda already did that.
 
EroicaStradeBianche said:
Not Bad. From 7th in the tour and 44th in the vuelta without doing nothing to destroying the field in 7 months was pretty unpredictable. 4 stage wins in 2 weeks, not even Pantani in 99'or Robobasso in 2006 were on this level.
This pretty much sums it up. He's ahead many a confirmed rope a dope on the Z, then the next day does a solo TT not just uphill, but also downhill, gaining every moment on everyone. Nice. I'm just interested in the TT right now to get a sense if this is 'just' silly, over the top doping ... or beyond the pale, likely gonna get popped dopy doping.
 
Re:

zlev11 said:
hahahaha, that doctors résumé is awesome, about as dirty as you could get. does anyone know if he's still with the team?

i almost want to see this get as ridiculous as possible. how about a Haig-Yates 1-2 on Bardoneccia, a full minute ahead of the next guy? some real Saunier Duval sh*t. oh wait they kinda already did that.
LOL! How about Yates being within 30 seconds of Dumoulin on the TT?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS