• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He managed to hold on with the favorites! That is a win in itself. He is still affected by the crash it seems, because he does look like he is missing the kick, he had in Dauphine. In the last 1,5k he looked rather labored and began to fall behind. Hopefully he will be better on Lusette/Aigoual. If he can keep glued to Roglic's wheel there, he will still be in podium contention.

...I would have signed too :). Today, all his teammates did whatever little bit they could, it wasn't that much, but it showed a lot as it relates to their mentality as a group. Ladagnous in particular gave a lot. And Gaudu, still hurting, still found a way to give a good pull. I could go on and on. Great team spirit GFdJ.

Yes, not a Grand Pinot, but the guy is clawing with everything that he has and Simurgh is right about the last mile or so...laborious, a grind, but in the end, he's right there with the top of the crop.

The roller coaster continues...where will it get us? What's next? Only time will tell, and maybe it is the beginning of a great story.

I didn't imagine that the effects of the crash was this "serious". Serious enough to warrant all kinds of therapy I haven't heard of before in my life!
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/to...but-optimism-grows-after-first-summit-finish/
Watching how much motion Pinot puts into out of the saddle attacking you can see why he needs everything to function for that style. It's a powerful climbing acceleration that he has and can sustain; unlike most of last year's Tour contenders. An opposing style example is Roglic: more compact and conservative in motion. He can't accelerate as long and hard as Pinot out of the saddle but can match anyone in a seated climb at the moment. He's also skied enough to know how to descend well and defend himself if he does go down.
My anecdotal experience with taller riders like Pinot is they seem to get more broadly injured on the average rodeo crash. They tend to have lower back issues as well if they have extremely low positions but that is another point. Contador was another rider with a unique style that didn't work as well after he crashed.
Pinot is my favorite rider to watch animate a race. If he's there; everyone knows he may kick their as* on the climb.

Reactions: Tonton and Simurgh
Positives: 1) Another day without time loss in a mountain stage ridden so slow that 2) it could be considered a half rest day. Can recover further tomorrow, and perhaps Saturday, if the GC guys won't bother attacking since its a descent finish.
Negatives: The GC battle feels as boring as 2018 - A Tour so boring that I have to use some moments to remember who actually won. And a full minute to recall the only moment I vaguely remember; when Nibali crashed uphill...

Reactions: Krokro
Positives: 1) Another day without time loss in a mountain stage ridden so slow that 2) it could be considered a half rest day. Can recover further tomorrow, and perhaps Saturday, if the GC guys won't bother attacking since its a descent finish.
Negatives: The GC battle feels as boring as 2018 - A Tour so boring that I have to use some moments to remember who actually won. And a full minute to recall the only moment I vaguely remember; when Nibali crashed uphill...
Considering the shape that he was in, the three hours a day getting treatment, it's a miracle that Thibaut is still there. No time loss but bonus seconds to Roglic. Comments on today's stage thread are on point; teams being conservative (JV in particular) keep riders around that they could have put away, and that may bite them in the derriere later on. After Saturday, I would never have entertained the thought that Tibopino may find himself on par with all the GC contenders on rest day, better than last year when he had left 100 seconds on the table. We're not there yet, but it's a distinct possibility.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Don't feel overly nervous about today, even though I probably will be when we reach Peyresourde. His performance in the crosswinds seemed very convincing. Besides, I don't really think the race will explode into pieces today. Perhaps an attack from Landa/Pogacar 2-3 kms before the top of Peyresourde and that's it. The GC is so close, and the level between them (apart from Roglic) looks almost equal, and any differences might be down to how your legs feel any given day. This close comptetion could definitely also be ascribed to the very defensive riding, that hasn't really separated any pretenders from the contenders. No time loss to Roglic/Bernal would be a win today.

Always talking about bad luck and a curse doesn't describe the situation. Failure after failure is no coincidence. He just doesn't have it. He is not tough enough for a GT. Nothing wrong about that. I agree, its a shame because he physically is an exciting rider. But no one can tell me that not even finishing half of the GTs started is not a mental issue. Sure, props for always fighting back. But must be hard for the team too. Interestingly enough, I do not really feel anything this year.

Reactions: macbindle
Always talking about bad luck and a curse doesn't describe the situation. Failure after failure is no coincidence. He just doesn't have it. He is not tough enough for a GT. Nothing wrong about that. I agree, its a shame because he physically is an exciting rider. But no one can tell me that not even finishing half of the GTs started is not a mental issue. Sure, props for always fighting back. But must be hard for the team too. Interestingly enough, I do not really feel anything this year.

Careful!

I got banned for "trolling" for saying exactly the same thing, last year ;)

Much safer to just say he look really strong and will probably win the Tour this year.

Reactions: glassmoon
Let's hope that this is the time he finally realises that he's not a GT-rider and starts focusing on other objectives.

I wonder if he'll have to move teams to do that? He could have a great career, and actual success, as a one-day and stage race rider. Instead of which, his season is defined every year by his failure at The Tour. Can't be good for his mental health and is waste of his talent

I wonder if he'll have to move teams to do that? He could have a great career, and actual success, as a one-day and stage race rider. Instead of which, his season is defined every year by his failure at The Tour. Can't be good for his mental health and is waste of his talent

He already has had a great career as a stage racer, but a GT winner he is not. He has DNF'd more TdFs than he has finished, and DNF'd the Giro and Vurlta too. That is not the Palmares of a GT winner.

The French got very excited because he got a 3rd podium in the TdF, but actually he should have saved himself the mental anguish and focussed on his strengths. Instead, his whole emotional energy has gone into the very thing which is his weakness.

He has a pretty good career financially though compared with his talent. Probably earned more being the face of FDJ in the Tour for a decade, than he would have done going down any other career route.

Awaiting philosophical reflections from Tonton. -- Sad to see Pinot's demise today (stage 8), but not as painful as last year, when the roller coaster had gone much further and success looked potentially much closer . . . before being torn away.