• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2015
Visit site
Actually wouldnt surprise me if this will be the podium for this years TDF not saying it will happen, simply saying I wouldnt be suprised at all if it would.

Contdaor, Quintana and Pinot.

Quelle performance aujourd'hui, chapeau Thibaut ! Well deserved, from the bottom of the FDJ's pyramide (staff), Fred Grappe, TT bike constructor (Lapierre) to Thibaut, straight improvement through the seasons in TT. Wait and see for tomorrow, maybe the yellow.

I don't see Thibaut making up 20+ seconds on Quitana, but I hope he attacks first, put the ones behind him on a GC in difficulty. Defensive riding could be a big mistake, when the two behind him are just a handful of seconds away. If I were Pinot's DS, I would be scouting tomorrow's final climb RIGHT NOW, find one or two steep spots between 4 and 2km to go, and plan a Vinot. Or, as mentioned in the TdR thread, a Thinard Pinault.

Quelle journée mes amis! :D

The comparison with PV is a bit tricky. Different weather (big difference), as well as PV having the beginning of the climb sooner in the ITT iirc: not good for a diesel. Also, the profiles look somewhat identical, but the one at the TdR was more "emphasized" (in Cronoescalada terms), meaning that the scale is different and makes the hill larger/steeper than actual (in comparison). Hence the different result when comparing riders who did both ITTs, i.e. Pinot and Quintana.

Having said that, in both cases, Tibopino did a very good descent. Today, he lost 8" on TD, 2" on Izaguirre, but gained 2" on Quintana and 4" on Zaka.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
The comparison with PV is a bit tricky. Different weather (big difference), as well as PV having the beginning of the climb sooner in the ITT iirc: not good for a diesel. Also, the profiles look somewhat identical, but the one at the TdR was more "emphasized" (in Cronoescalada terms), meaning that the scale is different and makes the hill larger/steeper than actual (in comparison). Hence the different result when comparing riders who did both ITTs, i.e. Pinot and Quintana.

Having said that, in both cases, Tibopino did a very good descent. Today, he lost 8" on TD, 2" on Izaguirre, but gained 2" on Quintana and 4" on Zaka.

Thats actually somewhat telling aswell since Pinot biggest problem with descending has always been high speed, thats the part hes have had the biggest problem with and todays downhill was extremely fast so definitely a improvent on that part seeing he did a good job on that part today too and actually gained some seconds to many guys and lost very little to others.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Robo-Thibaut beats Major Tom in an ITT, that should be a great moral booster. :)
The whole FDJ team is flying in TTs, today they had 4 guys in the top 15!
I want him to finish on the Tour podium, I've always had a soft spot for great diesel climbers.

Tonton said:

Totally agree.

I know the País Vasco climb because I was there watching the race and, in my opinion, today's climb was so much appropiate for the conditions of Thibaut Pinot. I think he struggles more in very steep climbs like Arrate. That was the perfect scenario for riders such as Contador or Purito Rodríguez (at least when he is in good form).

Moreover the Eibar time trial was the last stage of the race after a really hard week under the rain (the last day it was not a cold day but very wet) and very painfull roads with climbs which don't suit perfectly Pinot (as I said before, climbs with high percentages as Aia, Arrate (on Friday stage) or the the "côte" where Landa won).

In my opinion, Pinot is still young and he has had a very steady progression since he won the Porrentruy stage at the Tour, 4 years ago. With 26, he should be looking forward to his best years as a professional rider. He makes step forwards not only on time trials but also on the downhills (and I think there are no reasons related to doping to explain this improvement) and he keeps on his skills as "escalador". I give him total credit and I really hope that, after today's moral bust, he is going to be a hard rival for Quintana tomorrow.

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
liamito said:
will he do Dauphiné or Switzerland this year?
The plan was to race the Dauphiné. I'm writing "was", because the TdS has since come up with a Pinot-friendly course. So maybe things will change. But right now, the plan is to race the Dauphiné.

Thanks. :) Maybe it would be nice for Reichenbach to have a go as team leader at his home race.

I still can't believe when I think of last year's ITT in Tour de Suisse when he couldn't keep up with Dumoulin, Thomas and Spilak and actually fell out of the podium despite being the race leader before the TT and having a pretty decent advantage. But in reality I always thought he was underrated as a TTer. Many thought of him as a bad TT rider but he was constantly between 10th and 20th position in the last few years. The problem was some GC riders were always better than him. So I thought he was still good and underrated. Until this year, when I started to believe he's become overrated. A lot of people talked about how he's developed in a great TT rider, but I thought to myself that's what I heard last year, too. So I wanted to see this big improvement first. After Pais-Vasco I wasn't convinced. I thought he did OK, but nothing special and still lost too much time to the best. But that ride yesterday convinced me. If he can constantly come out with these performances he'll be a contender for the win in every stage race he enters. Chapeau to him and to FDJ.