• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jspear said:
Hmmm....I was expecting his tt to be better. Anyone think I was expecting to much?
Same here. I had him fourth in my pre-race predictions. But yesterday, when Thibaut found himself 3rd at 10 seconds, I was dreaming of a W. So I'm a bit disappointed. Having said that, it was a good week. Good descents, attacks, the ITT proved not suited to his diesel: he was 1'01" behind Bertie after 6.5km. Yikes. Tibopino's best result on the VaPV was a 9th place in '14 iirc, and that year his TdF wasn't too shabby ;) . The three on the podium deserved to be there. It's cycling.

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Jspear said:
Hmmm....I was expecting his tt to be better. Anyone think I was expecting to much?
Same here. I had him fourth in my pre-race predictions. But yesterday, when Thibaut found himself 3rd at 10 seconds, I was dreaming of a W. So I'm a bit disappointed. Having said that, it was a good week. Good descents, attacks, the ITT proved not suited to his diesel: he was 1'01" behind Bertie after 6.5km. Yikes. Tibopino's best result on the VaPV was a 9th place in '14 iirc, and that year his TdF wasn't too shabby ;) . The three on the podium deserved to be there. It's cycling.

Yah, I actually had him at 3rd when I heard Quintana was sick. Still decent showing from him.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
For all this talk about FDJ making their operation more professional, they still haven't managed to hire a DS to push a mechanic to push a rider. Poor.

Re:

Cannibal72 said:
For all this talk about FDJ making their operation more professional, they still haven't managed to hire a DS to push a mechanic to push a rider. Poor.
Maybe Netserk can start a poll, so we can vote for Tibopino as the "moral winner" of the VaPV :D .

@Alexandre: 4th in July, I'll take it ;) . He's still one notch behind Dawg-Bertie-Nairito...and getting a little better all the time...

Tonton said:
Cannibal72 said:
Maybe Netserk can start a poll, so we can vote for Tibopino as the "moral winner" of the VaPV :D .

@Alexandre: 4th in July, I'll take it ;) . He's still one notch behind Dawg-Bertie-Nairito...and getting a little better all the time...
I would take Aru any day of the week in a GT, however, Pinot has clearly shown he is much more adept at one week racing than Aru. They should do pretty similar in July, but Aru's GC palmares is incredible at this point of his career. I know Giro-Vuelta is easier than the Tour, but even when he has bad days, he survives. I have my doubts about Pinot still about that

Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
Cannibal72 said:

I would take Aru any day of the week in a GT, however, Pinot has clearly shown he is much more adept at one week racing than Aru. They should do pretty similar in July, but Aru's GC palmares is incredible at this point of his career. I know Giro-Vuelta is easier than the Tour, but even when he has bad days, he survives. I have my doubts about Pinot still about that

I agree. Aru has proven himself in multiple GT's, while Pinot has only been really consistent in 1 GT.
I hope Pinot can show he's capable of riding another good GT this year though.

Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
Cannibal72 said:

Aru may not be more talented than Pinot (I think they are equal, maybe climbing wise slightly to Aru, purely for that MTT up Monte Grappa) but his mental resilience is second to none. Honestly, this guy was almost gone up the Mortirolo and still finished just a couple of minutes down, then took the stage to Cervinia. He is strong.

Kwibus said:
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
Cannibal72 said:

I agree. Aru has proven himself in multiple GT's, while Pinot has only been really consistent in 1 GT.

The difference between Giro and Vuelta and le Tour is huge, especially if you dont have the best team in le Tour. I am sure that Pinot focused just in Giro.Vuelta woudl have beated Aru.

Taxus4a said:
Kwibus said:
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
Cannibal72 said:

The difference between Giro and Vuelta and le Tour is huge, especially if you dont have the best team in le Tour. I am sure that Pinot focused just in Giro.Vuelta woudl have beated Aru.
The question is why didn't he? It is better to win some than be 1st loser in TDF

Tirreno was the first big race for Tibopino. Had the only mountain stage not being cancelled, IMO he would have won the whole thing. The TdR is the second rendez-vous. I'm very confident that Thibaut will podium. Stage win, better GC placing than "podium", we'll see. Since the pre-GDL races, he's been there in the mix every single time.

Re:

Jspear said:
A podium will be tough for him. My guess is 4th place overall, no stage win. We shall see.
4th place! Not again :( ! I didn't watch the stage, but looking at the times, pretty good ITT today. Losing 6" on TD isn't bad (1" per km on the top of the crop, I'll take it), and he gained time on Nairito and others.Feeling good tonight.

4th in the GC... :eek: ...not again :eek: ! The team did good, Thibaut hesitated to go after Nairito. The FDJ train worked at the Criterium International, but here the competition was much better. Brave solo effort to keep the gap at 13" or so, then Tibopino faded a little bit. Still, a decent stage.

Tomorrow's ITT will be HUGE! The profile looks like a smaller version of the Pais Vasco's ITT. Only 5km to get in the rythm: I hope the diesel gets going quickly. Or Quintana will increase the gap...big time.

The second mountain stage is good for him too, at least on the paper. By then, he'll know who the direct competition is. And by then I'm afraid that Quitana will be out of reach...which could help him attack without Nairo feeling obligated to chase.

It's going to be interesting...