• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pinot is great allround but just about lacks something in every department.
-Good but not great climber, with a good punch
-Decent ITT when he's into it, but too inconsistent
-Decent recovery, but not enough to suddenly pull out minutes on others.

Today was really a let down, he just followed Dumoulin the entire climb and then had to drop in the final push as well.

If there is little change in the standings tomorrow, what are the odds that Pinot can hold off Froome from catching him in the TT? I fear something like that could be really bad for Pinot, who seems to have a bit more fragile confidence than some of the other favourites.

Re:

DFA123 said:
If there is little change in the standings tomorrow, what are the odds that Pinot can hold off Froome from catching him in the TT? I fear something like that could be really bad for Pinot, who seems to have a bit more fragile confidence than some of the other favourites.
1'30" will be close. Making up time on Pozzo very feasible. Then some serious stages week 3 when Thibaut usually is at his best. A good day tomorrow would be good for morale. I don't see him falling apart. Things just got more complicated though. For the win, I don't see it. A podium? He can. He's still in the race for that top-3, no reason for Tibopino to have any negative thoughts. Tough climb, I read and need to verify that Froome did the 8th fastest time ever on Zonc, if that is the case, his time loss isn't shocking.

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
DFA123 said:
1'30" will be close. Making up time on Pozzo very feasible. Then some serious stages week 3 when Thibaut usually is at his best. A good day tomorrow would be good for morale. I don't see him falling apart. Things just got more complicated though. For the win, I don't see it. A podium? He can. He's still in the race for that top-3, no reason for Tibopino to have any negative thoughts. Tough climb, I read and need to verify that Froome did the 8th fastest time ever on Zonc, if that is the case, his time loss isn't shocking.
6th

Tonton said:
DFA123 said:

6th fastest. Tibo is only human, he'll be fine.

Tonton said:
DFA123 said:
Let's hope so, top 3 is definitely possible; there's question marks about the staying power of all three guys ahead of him imo. I guess he just needs to be consistent and be 2nd or 3rd best among the GT guys each day. Zoncolan is certainly a tough climb, and a one-off. Perhaps he just struggles on the really steep stuff - it's hard to remember him riding too much on stuff consistently above 10%.

It must be frustrating for him that such a high level Yates has suddenly emerged. Now Pinot can't even dominate the last km of climbs with his sprint -and the stage wins and extra handful of bonus seconds that come with it.

Well, he was the worst of the contenders today. Tomorrow doesn't suit him with the descents. Especially not with a strong and aggressive Froome. I'd not say negative, but realistic. Unless you believe that he will gain another level compared to the rest in the last week.

Re:

Netserk said:
Realistically, it is. I also don't give Aru a chance of coming back and making the top-5.
A "best case scenario" is never realistic, it is inherently optimistic.
Tibo is 4th right now and about level with Pozzovivo. A slightly optimistic scenario is that he holds off Froome and manages to pass Pozzo. That is maybe not the most likely scenario but definitely a possibility.

Re:

Netserk said:
Realistically, it is. I also don't give Aru a chance of coming back and making the top-5.
At least we agree on something :D . I'm not an Aru fan, but today I caught myself rooting for him. So much pain on his face. By the way, when you write 6th at best, besides Td, CF, AY, and DP, who else would beat Pinot?

If not bounded by realism, the best case scenario would be trivial: Winning everything would always be best.
Tonton said:
Netserk said:
At least we agree on something :D . I'm not an Aru fan, but today I caught myself rooting for him. So much pain on his face. By the way, when you write 6th at best, besides Td, CF, AY, and DP, who else would beat Pinot?
López. He's more likely not to, but I find it many times more likely than Pinot getting 3rd.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Tonton said:
40'40" on Zoncolan for Tibopino, that's actually 2" faster than Basso '10. I'm starting to think that he didn't have a bad day at all. It just wasn't good enough...but it wasn't bad at all.
Yes, but back in 2010 it was the 2nd consecutive mountain stage and the pace on Duron was higher/seemed to be higher (you probably have to ask jens_attack for exact Durn ascent times), so it's not that easy to compare.
On the bright side you have a really strong Reichenbach, so he could still do a lot of damage in the high mountains.

Post-race interview in l'Equipe:

"I have no regrets, I rode at my level today, the others were simply stronger than me. I didn't really feel bad, but I couldn't give more. I have never ridden such a tough climb in my career. I have never suffered so much. But this too is the Giro. There's still a long way to go, there're still big mountain stages on the menu and a lot to do. I know that my objective, a podium, is still within reach. Now I'm going to rest and keep focusing on this objective".

No looking for excuses. Not demoralized. No reason to be.

Mayomaniac said:
Tonton said:
40'40" on Zoncolan for Tibopino, that's actually 2" faster than Basso '10. I'm starting to think that he didn't have a bad day at all. It just wasn't good enough...but it wasn't bad at all.
Yes, but back in 2010 it was the 2nd consecutive mountain stage and the pace on Duron was higher/seemed to be higher (you probably have to ask jens_attack for exact Durn ascent times), so it's not that easy to compare.
On the bright side you have a really strong Reichenbach, so he could still do a lot of damage in the high mountains.

They should be setting Zonc records with how easy this Giro has been compared to past ones

TRENDING THREADS