• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
I'd actually argue that he has a strong mentality; what with his ability to come back despite all his struggles.
Take last year: Got sick during the Giro, skipped the Tour (I actually remembered that as having been the plan all the time), then returned to win two stages at the Vuelta, and then winning Lombardia.
any news on his injury, is defending Lombardi realistic?

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
macbindle said:
We can all have a little cry for Thibaud...then we can come back and face reality.

Loads of people crash out of Tours for all sorts of reasons. It's an occupational hazard.
You can troll all you want. Like it or not but Thibaut Pinot has shown in this year's TdF that he's a legitimate GT contender. That's not debatable...that's a fact. In many ways, it's his best display ever in a GT, and he has had a few good ones. Talking about his mental strength...poor guy...you wish you had one tenth of his toughness. You probably never rode a bike, competed, or you would know that to make it to that level genetics is not enough...you have to be a tough sob to put your body through misery like all these guys do. All of them.

This is not over for Tibopino. It would be devastating for someone lacking his mental toughness and writing smack in a cycling forum, but he will get over it. How fast can he recover depends on the extend of the injury. Hopefully we'll see him in Italy...hopefully before that.

Merci Thibaut. Keep your head up high. It's cycling, it's life...not always fair.

Yes I ride a bike. Yes I have ridden races. Yes, I still ride endurance events., yes i do win from time to time. Quite willing to meet you on the road for a ride if you want to put your theory to the test. But you wont, will you.

You can call it trolling if you want, but you are looking at it from a nationalistic point of view, from a nation that hasn't won their own event since 85. I'm looking at it dispassionately. I'm sorry he has DNF'd (again) and he has been one of the riders who has animated this years race.... but I repeat, he will not win this race ever.

Singer01 said:
RedheadDane said:
I'd actually argue that he has a strong mentality; what with his ability to come back despite all his struggles.
Take last year: Got sick during the Giro, skipped the Tour (I actually remembered that as having been the plan all the time), then returned to win two stages at the Vuelta, and then winning Lombardia.
If it's strictly a muscular injury I think he'll be more than ready for that.

macbindle said:
Tonton said:
macbindle said:
We can all have a little cry for Thibaud...then we can come back and face reality.

Loads of people crash out of Tours for all sorts of reasons. It's an occupational hazard.
You can troll all you want. Like it or not but Thibaut Pinot has shown in this year's TdF that he's a legitimate GT contender. That's not debatable...that's a fact. In many ways, it's his best display ever in a GT, and he has had a few good ones. Talking about his mental strength...poor guy...you wish you had one tenth of his toughness. You probably never rode a bike, competed, or you would know that to make it to that level genetics is not enough...you have to be a tough sob to put your body through misery like all these guys do. All of them.

This is not over for Tibopino. It would be devastating for someone lacking his mental toughness and writing smack in a cycling forum, but he will get over it. How fast can he recover depends on the extend of the injury. Hopefully we'll see him in Italy...hopefully before that.

Merci Thibaut. Keep your head up high. It's cycling, it's life...not always fair.

Yes I ride a bike. Yes I have ridden races. Yes, I still ride endurance events., yes i do win from time to time. Quite willing to meet you on the road for a ride if you want to put your theory to the test. But you wont, will you.

You can call it trolling if you want, but you are looking at it from a nationalistic point of view, from a nation that hasn't won their own event since 85. I'm looking at it dispassionately. I'm sorry he has DNF'd (again) and he has been one of the riders who has animated this years race.... but I repeat, he will not win this race ever.
Congratulations. I hope it makes you happy.

Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
RedheadDane said:
If it's strictly a muscular injury I think he'll be more than ready for that.

Let's hope so.

Tonton said:
macbindle said:
Yes I ride a bike. Yes I have ridden races. Yes, I still ride endurance events.
...so you should know better...

Know better about what?

In the stuff I do it is mental strength that counts. It's no different for the top of the top at pro level. With the exception of Froome-like inexplicable strength there is very little between the top GC guys. It doesn't matter who won Il Lombardia. Le Tour is not Il Lombardia.

You can wave your flag all you like for Pinot. I'll wave your flag for you for Alaphilippe because he is nails hard. Pinot has the fragility of Wiggins and Evans, but more of it, and he lacks the team that Wiggins had to win, so I stand by my prediction. Pinot lacks the mental toughness to win the Tour. The only way it will ever happen for him is if he joins Ineos, and all his rivals experience bad luck.

Evans didn't DNF any GTs IIRC. Wiggins DNF'd a couple. Nibali has ridden 19 and DNFd once.

Pinot has ridden 11 and DNFd most of them.

Spot the difference?

macbindle said:
Tonton said:
macbindle said:
Know better about what?

Know better about what it takes for a rider to get to where Thibuat Pinot is...not blaming mental strength when what happened is that he tore his quad...and not surprisingly no one here agrees with you. Because we watched this Tour de France, and maybe you were on something, but what we saw was Bernal's biggest threat just falling short because of an injury. An injury. Will Pinot ever win a GT? You don't know. I don't know. I hope so.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
He's got some cursed bad luck, that's for sure.
Imagine avoiding a crash and still getting so injured you have to quit… :(
Cadel Evans can attest to bad luck in the TDF.

2008 - crashed in stage 10, but recovered to take Yellow at the end of the stage, but the injuries hampered him for the remainder and he got worked over by CSC on Alpe d'Huez.
2009 - lost time due to echelons in Stage 3, then more in the Stage 4 TTT and had a meltdown in stage 16 after Contador's attacking in the previous stage got to his brain.
2010 - crashed in stage 8, but recovered to take Yellow at the end of the stage, but on the rest day that followed it was found that he had broken a bone in his elbow, which cost him 10 minutes in the next stage.

Then in 2011 it all came together.

So Thibaut Pinot has hope, as well as a few extra years on his side.

Yingge said:
RedheadDane said:
He's got some cursed bad luck, that's for sure.
Imagine avoiding a crash and still getting so injured you have to quit… :(
Cadel Evans can attest to bad luck in the TDF.

2008 - crashed in stage 10, but recovered to take Yellow at the end of the stage, but the injuries hampered him for the remainder and he got worked over by CSC on Alpe d'Huez.
2009 - lost time due to echelons in Stage 3, then more in the Stage 4 TTT and had a meltdown in stage 16 after Contador's attacking in the previous stage got to his brain.
2010 - crashed in stage 8, but recovered to take Yellow at the end of the stage, but on the rest day that followed it was found that he had broken a bone in his elbow, which cost him 10 minutes in the next stage.

Then in 2011 it all came together.

So Thibaut Pinot has hope, as well as a few extra years on his side.

Cadel's 2008 crash was stage 9. Otherwise you are spot on with all points and I agree with Pinot too.

Many said Evans cracked under pressure of the 2008 TT conveniently overlooking he lost a large amount of skin and had bruises head to toe after that fall when some goose crashed right in front of him. Carried these injuries for 10 stages including a stint in yellow.

Evans's ride on the Alpe in futile pursuit of Sastre with the Schlecks and rest of GC contenders sitting on his wheel was quite heroic in the circumstances. Rival teams and riders admitted as such. In hindsight that day was actually a little prelude of the grit Evans showed in his ride on the Galiber in 2011 in lone persuit of Andy.

I too enjoyed Pinot's attacking and was impressed he even managed a decent TT also (the first time in a GT?) but wasn't completely surprised by his abandon. He's finished only half of the 12 GTs he's entered, suggesting he is relatively fragile compared to his competitors. Still, really hope he can come back and challenge for the win at the Vuelta this year. He needs to win a GT sometime soon.

Tonton said:
macbindle said:
Tonton said:
macbindle said:
Know better about what?

Know better about what it takes for a rider to get to where Thibuat Pinot is...not blaming mental strength when what happened is that he tore his quad...and not surprisingly no one here agrees with you. Because we watched this Tour de France, and maybe you were on something, but what we saw was Bernal's biggest threat just falling short because of an injury. An injury. Will Pinot ever win a GT? You don't know. I don't know. I hope so.

Ah...I get it...your reading skills arent great.
I have said several times that I am not talking about his crash...and therefore not about this tour. I thought that was pretty obvious, but apparently not.

Anyway, it's time to put this to bed. We disagree in our opinion of a cyclist. Big deal.

Just a bit weird that you jump in when a guy just had to drop out (while in the running for the win) because of an injury, and blame lack of mental strength.
Besides; lack of mental strength? We're talking about a guy who got onto his bike, despite barely being able to walk, on the off-chance that maybe, just maybe the issue wasn't so big!

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Just a bit weird that you jump in when a guy just had to drop out (while in the running for the win) because of an injury, and blame lack of mental strength.
Besides; lack of mental strength? We're talking about a guy who got onto his bike, despite barely being able to walk, on the off-chance that maybe, just maybe the issue wasn't so big!

I dunno, Pinot finished stage 20 of the 2018 Giro with pneumonia, fever, and barfing and dry-heaving the entire course. Had the nerve not to check out of the hospital to start stage 21 the next morning. Seems pretty wimpy. I think the real reason he was weeping after abandoning on stage 19 of this year's Tour is he knew he'd be taunted by Macbindle on the CN forums. :lol:

Re:

RedheadDane said:

You are still misrepresenting what I said.

I posted (after Pinot had abandoned) saying that he will never win the Tour. Clearly, if I posted AFTER he had abandoned I was not saying that he wouldn't win THIS tour. Therefore I was talking about future tours, and was suggesting that he lacks the grit to win. Thus his injury this year was not relevant to what I was saying.

I appreciate that english isnt your first language and therefore you will inevitably struggle...but perhaps you should also acknowledge this too and have the humility to accept that perhaps your lack of understanding is at play here.

Anyway. Let's park this now. You can always bookmark this page and come back next year and rub my nose in the dirt if Pinot wins. Deal? :)

On the contrary. I didn't believe in Pinot before this tour. After what he showed in this tour, I know he can win it. Ala might be able to win the tour also if he trained specifically for it and stopped doing sprint trains. Ineos would love to buy Ala because he's a threat. Bernal will probably be the favourite next year, along with Dumoulin. It's a changing of the guard.

macbindle said:
RedheadDane said:

You are still misrepresenting what I said.

I posted (after Pinot had abandoned) saying that he will never win the Tour. Clearly, if I posted AFTER he had abandoned I was not saying that he wouldn't win THIS tour. Therefore I was talking about future tours, and was suggesting that he lacks the grit to win. Thus his injury this year was not relevant to what I was saying.

I appreciate that english isnt your first language and therefore you will inevitably struggle...but perhaps you should also acknowledge this too and have the humility to accept that perhaps your lack of understanding is at play here.

Anyway. Let's park this now. You can always bookmark this page and come back next year and rub my nose in the dirt if Pinot wins. Deal? :)

And how would we know that if Pinot does not win, it was because he lacked grit? Because you said so? :lol:

TRENDING THREADS