• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fair enough.

I do think he should focus more on one day races and he's way overperformed in by getting 2nd and 3rd in the Tour.
I agree with this, but so should Pinot in my opinion. For some reason Pinot just can't seem to get it quite right either in Grand Tours or week long stage races. He's a great climber when he has one of his good days, and he showed in 2018 that one-day races are were he really shines.

I agree with this, but so should Pinot in my opinion. For some reason Pinot just can't seem to get it quite right either in Grand Tours or week long stage races. He's a great climber when he has one of his good days, and he showed in 2018 that one-day races are were he really shines.
For me the difference is that Bardet can't really seem to make the difference in the mountains when he's good either. So most of his weakness is time trial terror and just not being good enough uphill. Pinot has his inconsistencies, but his biggest woes have been freak illnesses and injuries. But on his best days, he's great and he can actually make the difference.

Overall, I think a problem for guys like this is actually the calendar. Even if you'd love to focus on one day races, there's just not many at all for a great climber without much of a sprint, and I have long wanted to see more mountainious one day races, especially after the Tour.

And I suppose at the end of the day, if GTs are what Pinot enjoys doing - despite the pain - then that's what he should do.
Sure, nothing is preventing him from riding GT's, and who knows, if he finally gets it right, he might content for a podium again at some point. All I'm saying is that I think he should focus more on one-day races. Heck, he hasn't even ever done the Ardennes, has he?

Sure, nothing is preventing him from riding GT's, and who knows, if he finally gets it right, he might content for a podium again at some point. All I'm saying is that I think he should focus more on one-day races. Heck, he hasn't even ever done the Ardennes, has he?
He hasn't. But the Ardennes don't exactly warrant skipping a GT. Instead they're probably a good replacement for either Romandie or Pais Vasco. It's just the way the calendar is. GTs don't really have an alternative, and there's not much else for a climber to do.

It bothers me that many of the 'new' races are these shortish stage races that usually come down to a few sprints and a weak MTF.

He hasn't. But the Ardennes don't exactly warrant skipping a GT. Instead they're probably a good replacement for either Romandie or Pais Vasco. It's just the way the calendar is. GTs don't really have an alternative, and there's not much else for a climber to do.

It bothers me that many of the 'new' races are these shortish stage races that usually come down to a few sprints and a weak MTF.
Why should focusing on the Ardennes, for instance, make him skip the Tour? I meant, like you're saying, that he should just skip Romandie/Pais Vasco/whatever stage race he's doing, and go for some one-day races instead, as he's doing much better in those. He has exactly 2 podiums in one week WT-stage races in 32 tries. But it's like he's too focused on GT's, which may simply not be for him. I just wished he'd figure that out before it's too late - whether he likes GT's or not :)

Slow and steady wins the race. As long as he maintains the first places.
Tibopino can make 2020 great again ;). Years ago, I was one of the few who saw something...yes, I was born a short bike ride from his hometown. I'm biased. Always have been, always will be, and you know it. I'm LaFlo and he's my Contador. Pinot is my hometown guy, and as it turns out a good, decent human being, someone I can relate to. Human. Not perfect.

Ups and downs, magic, heartbreaks, the People's Champion is not the winning machine and the most consistent rider there is. But his story is one that Homer, Shakespear, Stendhal or Hugo could have written. His saga is a roller coaster, he makes you sheer, he dares, he fights, and sometimes he fails. He's not a hero, but he tries.

Last year I cried. In the Covid year when we need to celebrate life and justice, a big Pinot win would bring back faith in the most basic values that we share: resiliency, hard work, breaking ceilings, and not see the scum rise to the top again in 2020.

Bernal is the one to beat. Ineos just put us on notice. Jumbo is an elephant. But sometimes the gazelle wins...

Still going under the radar. Looked decent today, sat at the front until the very end, let INEOS pull the attacks back and just sitting in their wheels instead of following the vicious accelerations. That being said, it would have been a great showing if he could/did, but one shouldn't read in too much into this performance anyway. Would be a great improvement if he could sit with Bernal and Roglic the coming days, but even a minor deficit is fine at this point I guess.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Very good today! I actually think that if Roglic had waited just a bit before attacking, then Pinot would have been able to hang on. This just shows, that Roglic is still a level above everyone else...but our favorite Frenchman isn't behind by that much. While Roglic looks to be at his very best and perhaps peaking a tad too early, we know that Pinot still has some room for improvement...one may dare hope

Reactions: Mayomaniac
Have to say there is no rider in the peloton I admire more than Pinot. People talk so much sh*te about his mental toughness but it's all nonsense. Time and time again he falls and comes back stronger. Setbacks aplenty in his career but they have done nothing to stunt his development. Last year he was on his best ever form and had to watch his Tour hopes evaporate, yet this year he comes back even stronger AGAIN.

Second strongest climber today. He looks great right now and although Roglic is the man to beat, Pinot still has a chance. If he's on form and in contention, this man will give it absolutely everything on La Planche. Who knows? Certainly not me - but I believe.

Feel like mental weakness became the deal after the descending issues at the 2013 Tour and since then he's basically just been unlucky but fought back every time.
The descending issue is another great example of him bouncing back actually. He's no Nibali in that regard (though he held him off in Lombardia), but his descending is no longer a significant weakness of his.

Reactions: shalgo and Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS