• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And that's one of his strengths; he seems to have a willingness to work with his issues. He had an issue - which he admitted was a sort of phobia - and found a way to get past that. No, he'll never be Nibali in descending, but does he have to be?
He descended well with Alaphilippe in last year's Tour chasing DeGendt which was no small feat. He looked good at Dauphine considering he'll have time to round up form. He should be an animator in the 3rd week if his team holds together...

At least he used the frustration to try and fight back.

Also, and maybe I'm just being desparate here, but the fact of the matter is that he didn't have the guy who's proven to be his most important helper in recent years, namely Gaudu.
The fight back was very important I think mentally. When riders started going up the road he looked really down and I thought it was gonna be another day when he just collapses but the fight back gave me some hope for the TdF. Also seeing that little French battalion power up the road was the most I have smiled in a while

The fight back was very important I think mentally. When riders started going up the road he looked really down and I thought it was gonna be another day when he just collapses but the fight back gave me some hope for the TdF. Also seeing that little French battalion power up the road was the most I have smiled in a while

You raise a good point. In other years (like in 2013 Tour), he would have gone backwards and ride himself out of contention. Last year when he lost time in the crosswinds, he joined Alaphilippe in a succesful raid, and afterwards said that he "rode on rage". Nevermind his inevitable DNF following that freak injury, I think he gained self-confidence in know that he, despite mishaps, could claw himself back into contention. I get really tired of people saying he has a weak mentality and which somehow causes him injuries. That couldn't be further from the truth - he is one of the mentally strongest in the peloton; after every failure, he has endured, he came back stronger. With that said, I still don't think he will win the Tour - Roglic will be too strong, and Dumoulin's form is soaring. But if he could at least podium in a "not heartbreaking" way (like losing yellow on the last TT or being at +8'' at Champs Elysees), I for one, can finally be at peace with the tragedy of last year.

Groupama-FDJ declares that Pinot will take a rest period and as a consequence he will skip the French nats "due to back pain following his crash on Saturday's Dauphine stage"

The weight of the French hopes can be a heavy burden on be back.

In all seriousness, it makes his effort yesterday more impressive and I hope he’s fine for the Tour. The last few days have just added to what is a truly surreal year.

I really hope Ala goes. I bet he would go all out with the Tricolours if he had the French NC kit.

According to DQS' social media he is. And they - DQ - always make awesome NC jerseys. Beaten only by those of the FDJ team.

Meanwhile, Danish site Feltet.dk seems to have decided that they must always illustrate articles about Pinot with pictures where he looks as sad as humanly possible.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS