• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

This weekends Canadian Races

A

Anonymous

Quebec 10th September
GP_QC_Parcours.jpg

Startlist

Montreal 12th September
GP_MTL_Parcours.jpg

Startlist

Neither profiles are overly exciting, some lumps in them but nothing overly major, but should be enough to stop them turning into a sprint fest.

Feeds:
Quebec - live on British Eurosport from 5.45 cet on Friday, or Evasion, Sportsnet or SRC in canada so there will be live feeds. Americans get a roundup 8 days later :D
Montreal - Doesnt look like British Eurosport are covering it. Edit: Apparently on French Eurosport & Canadian TV

Quebec Livestream
http://www.radio-canada.ca/audio-vi...o-canada.ca/util/endirect/sptv02.asx&epr=true

A

Anonymous

Both of the Quebec and Montreal events are televised in Canada (!?) , what a shock.

They are, of course, on French TV which shows a lot of bike racing.

I am going to set the DV Recorder this weekend to record them and watch them when I get home - I am going to be in Vancouver this weekend riding the Whistler GranFondo - Vancouver to Whistler.

A

Anonymous

roundabout said:
Eurosport France is showing the last 2 hours of Montreal live, all other European coverage is delayed

I cant find anything on british Eurosport on the sunday. Most be being showed on the monday afternoon (my schedule wont go that far forward).. French TV it is then :D

I find it amusing that the americans dont get the races till the 18th :D

roundabout said:
Eurosport France is showing the last 2 hours of Montreal live, all other European coverage is delayed

This is why i love eurosport. Not only do they give us every Grand tour, every monument, every classic, every pt stage race, they also give us minor races like this.

Also tbh i prefer a race like this on highlights then watching it live anyway.

hrotha said:
I don't know how to value these races. They're new and Canadian so they sort of don't matter, but they're Pro Tour so they'll have decent fields. Sort of like Vattenfall, maybe?
The field looks quite decent, with SamSan, Basso, Sagan, EBH, Chavanel, Gesink, Breschel, Hesjedal, Cunego... and the races certainly promise to be a lot more interesting than Vattenfall, certainly the Montreal one. Beautiful parcours, featuring a 2 km climb that they'll have to do 16 times! You better bring your climbing legs.

A

Anonymous

hrotha said:
I don't know how to value these races. They're new and Canadian so they sort of don't matter, but they're Pro Tour so they'll have decent fields. Sort of like Vattenfall, maybe?

The fields are actually very good. Sammy Sanchez, Gesink, Levi, Basso, Chavanel, EbH, Voigt, Cunego etc. As far as field goes they are as strong as a lot of the one day races this year, but of course that isnt all that counts, history, parcours all count as well. Similar field to something like Eroica. Vattenfall is probably about right i guess. Romance and history counts for a lot though.

Thanks, I had heard of Samu and Evans going there so I assumed the fields would be good, but I wasn't aware they'd be *that* good. I thought more people would shy away from this kind of transoceanic flights, especially with the WC (and its own transoceanic flight) in sight.

TeamSkyFans said:
The fields are actually very good. Sammy Sanchez, Gesink, Levi, Basso, Chavanel, EbH, Voigt, Cunego etc. As far as field goes they are as strong as a lot of the one day races this year, but of course that isnt all that counts, history, parcours all count as well. Similar field to something like Eroica. Vattenfall is probably about right i guess. Romance and history counts for a lot though.

I dunno, the parcours is pretty good for the Montreal race - really, that hill is tough. Although that may be due to my first memory of doing it, when I was visiting for a week and used a $5 garage sale bike with one pedal having only a spindle. I think it will end more broken up than Hamburg, somewhere between Plouay and San Sebastian as far as selectiveness. I could be wrong, of course. I like the slight uphill finish though. The Quebec course is nothing to write home about, but the 1.2km finishing drag, even if it's only a rise of 50m (making it, what, 4.8%?) will definitely guarantee a non-bunch sprint finish. Someone like EBH could win it, but not a Petacchi or Farrar if they were racing.

As far as history goes, well you can't really get 2 more European cities in North America, so at least there's that. Although I guess the montreal course just goes around the park, so it doesn't show off any of the old city or anything.

I dunno, I have high hopes. And I'm stoked it'll be on TV in Canada!

According to the website, the Montreal race has 3666 height meters, and the following climbs which they'll have to take 16 times:

KM 2 : Côte Camilien-Houde 1,8 km à 8% de moyenne
KM 6 : Côte de la Polytechnique 780 m à 6% de moyenne,
incluant une montée de 200 m à 11%
KM 11 : Avenue du Parc 560 m à 4% de moyenne

A bunch sprint is not very likely.

The Montreal climb appears to be 2 km at around 7% which will make it fairly ardennes like. The Quebeck course is a little easier though the though part is right up to the finish line so it won't be any type of pure sprint there either.

The Quebeck finish is 700m of 5.5% then an easy 500m before the last 1.4km uphill at 3%. Looks like something for a power sprinter like Hushovd though he won't be there. Someone with very good legs could probably go solo in the last few kms as well since there won't be much benefit to a lead out train I would think.

One thing that sets the courses apart from the real monuments are the lengths. Both races are under 200km so it won't be as decisive as a big classic or a worlds course.

I think both races could turn out to be fairly spectacular I think.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
On Sept. 12 in Montreal, they'll push 16 times up and down a 12.1-kilometre circuit on Mount Royal in the heart of the city for a total distance of 193.6 kilometres. It is roughly the same track used for the 1976 Olympic road race and for an event on the former World Cup that ran from 1988 to 1992.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/07/27/uci-protour-quebec.htm

I was on Mont Royal ages ago for the view - I remember there were little arrows pointing towards the States you could might be able to see from the top. I saw in a different summary that there's another decent climb besides that.

Giuseppe Martinelli got silver in that Olympics, but LaPage is DS for Astana for these races.

I've been to Montreal a few times and the hills there are all steep although they aren't overly long. Therefore, I would be very surprised if that race ended in a sprint finish. That being said, watch the riders prove me wrong and have about 60-70 cross the line together. I've only been to Montreal once and besides the fact that it is really cold, I don't remember how hilly it is, so I don't have any guesses for how that race will turn out.

theswordsman said:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/07/27/uci-protour-quebec.htm

I was on Mont Royal ages ago for the view - I remember there were little arrows pointing towards the States you could might be able to see from the top. I saw in a different summary that there's another decent climb besides that.

Giuseppe Martinelli got silver in that Olympics, but LaPage is DS for Astana for these races.

Here's a video of the finish of the 1976 olympics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwtL32iHxWs This was voted the number one olympic moment of the century in Sweden.

A

Anonymous

My tips.. going with the obvious

Quebec - EbH
Montreal - Cunego

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Google Translate from official site for Montreal. British Eurosport has an hour on delay

http://protourquebecmontreal.com/fr/l-evenement-mtl/

U.S.

Versus Versus
Émission spéciale de 60 minutes sur le Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal, le 19 septembre Special Episode 60 minutes on the Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal, September 19

Europe Europe

British Eurosport : couverture en différé le 16 Septembre de 17:45 à 18:45 (CET) British Eurosport coverage of deferred September 16 5:45 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. (CET)

Eurosport 2 « Sud et Ouest » : couverture en différé de 23:00 à 24:00 (CET) Eurosport 2 "South and West" coverage delayed from 23:00 to 24:00 (CET)
Espagne, Portugal, France, Italie, Grèce, Malte, Chypre, Turquie, Allemagne, Autriche, Luxembourg, Belgique, Pays Bas, Suisse, Israël, Liban, Arménie, Azerbaïdjan, Biélorussie, Géorgie, Kazakhstan, Moldavie, Russie et Ukraine Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Greece, Malta, Cyprus, Turkey, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Israel, Lebanon, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine

Eurosport 2 « Nord et Est » : couverture en différé de 23:00 à 24:00 (CET) Eurosport 2 "North and East ': coverage delayed from 23:00 to 24:00 (CET)
Suède, Danemark, Finlande, Norvège, Islande, Estonie, Lettonie, Lituanie, Pologne, République Tchèque, Slovaquie, Roumanie, Hongrie, Albanie, Bosnie Herzégovine, Bulgarie, Croatie, Kosovo, Serbie, Macédoine, Monténégro et Slovénie Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro and Slovenia

Eurosport Asie Pacifique : couverture en différé le lendemain Eurosport Asia Pacific coverage delayed the next
Australie, Fidji, Tonga, Papouasie Nouvelle Guinée, Hong Kong, Brunei, Indonésie, Corée du Sud, Malaisie, Birmanie, Philippines, Singapour, Sri Lanka et Vietnam Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Papua New Guinea, Hong Kong, Brunei, Indonesia, South Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Vietnam

Eurosport France Eurosport France
Dimanche soir, 12 septembre, émission spéciale - diffusion en direct des deux dernières heures – de 21h00 à 23h00-heure locale Sunday evening, September 12, Special Issue - live broadcast of the last two hours - from 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., local time

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what to expect from the Quebec race apart from beautiful shots of the old city, but the Montreal race should see a decent selection made. Looking forward to having cycling on the tv instead of the computer.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Both races are going to be shown live in their entirety (in French) on a channel called Evasion. CBC/RCI is on the site as a partner so is this one of their specialty channels? It might have an official legal web stream if it's from CBC.

I think that Quebec parcours is much harder and more technical than it looks on that map.

I found some photo tours online.

Quebec:

http://www.sdvmag.com/le-parcours-protour-de-quebec-en-images/

Montreal:

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/8/27/1654943/montreal-2010-protour-circuit

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This is why i love eurosport. Not only do they give us every Grand tour, every monument, every classic, every pt stage race, they also give us minor races like this.

Also tbh i prefer a race like this on highlights then watching it live anyway.

Minor? Excuse me? This is the land of Ryder Hesjedal ;):D

I agree, Eurosport is amazing I remember being in Europe in Spring and watching Paris-Roubaix live, on a 32" plasma TV...oh yeah

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
-myra- said:
Both of the Quebec and Montreal events are televised in Canada (!?) , what a shock...
There will be an English feed on Sportsnet One, the newest of the Sportsnet channels. Of course you have to live in the centre of the universe to get that channel or subscribe to the cable company that owns Sportsnet. They're also showing the Vuelta too but not in the West. :mad:

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Tentative roster for the Canadian national team in the Quebec race (from CyclingFever and I added their teams).

211 - ROLLIN, Dominique (Cervélo TestTeam)
212 - ANDERSON, Ryan (Kelly Benefit Strategies)
213 - BOILY, David (SpiderTech powered by Planet Energy)
214 - BOIVIN, Guillaume (SpiderTech powered by Planet Energy)
215 - LANGLOIS, Bruno (SpiderTech powered by Planet Energy)
216 - PARISIEN, François (SpiderTech powered by Planet Energy)
217 - ROUTLEY, Will (Jelly Belly Cycling team powered by Kenda)
218 - VEILLEUX, David (Kelly Benefit Strategies)

Montreal race is the same except for:

215 - BRITTON, Rob (BISSELL Pro Cycling)

Steve Bauer will be their Directeur Sportif:)

TRENDING THREADS