• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas Dekker to Garmin

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It has no point discussing if according to some, the only rational view is that he was always doping :rolleyes:

you're just as prejudiced, in other words :rolleyes:
No, I'm not saying he always doped. I said his whole career is suspect. You're the one saying he was clean 99%, I'm not making the opposite claim. Working with Cecchini is a red flag. Having superb results as a youngster and then testing positive at 23 is another.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Dekker won't be signing to ride for Chipotle. He'll be signing to ride the Vuelta followed by a full season of Ardennes Classics, quality week-long stage races, and at least one grand tour. And lots and lots of JV anti-doping renaissance bs on this website.

I can imagine that.

Like Dekker returning to the big scene by the guidance of Vaughters would prove how clean Garmin is.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
biopass said:
I can imagine that.

Like Dekker returning to the big scene by the guidance of Vaughters would prove how clean Garmin is.

Well, apparently Vaughters thinks he's making some sort of a statement with David Millar. So much so that he made Millar a part-owner of his organization at one point. The message certainly doesn't pursuade me, but apparently Jonathan Vaughters thinks it's really impressive.

I suppose we could try asking JV how his mind works? He pops in here from time to time to try and drop some fairly weak propaganda.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
It's just a shame Matt White won't still be around to make sure that Dekker finds his way to the right doctor. Hopefully White's stand-in at Garmin will also know the score.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
I'm assuming the idea of Dekker riding for the development team would be just another publicity charade from Vaughters. They'll put Dekker in a few races with Chipotle just so that Vaughters can give a bunch of interviews about how Dekker was forced to "earn his way back," when the understanding will have been all along that Dekker is on the fast-track to big races with Garmin.

Dekker won't be signing to ride for Chipotle. He'll be signing to ride the Vuelta followed by a full season of Ardennes Classics, quality week-long stage races, and at least one grand tour. And lots and lots of JV anti-doping renaissance bs on this website.

Garmin already have the maximum 29 riders, so if they wanted to sign him this season they'd have to get rid of someone. And they're not going to do that.

(Note: You can 30 riders if you have 2 or more neo-pros, which Garmin don't).

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Garmin already have the maximum 29 riders, so if they wanted to sign him this season they'd have to get rid of someone. And they're not going to do that.

Good point. Maybe they'll lose a few in the brewing doping investigations...

May 14, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Well, apparently Vaughters thinks he's making some sort of a statement with David Millar. So much so that he made Millar a part-owner of his organization at one point. The message certainly doesn't pursuade me, but apparently Jonathan Vaughters thinks it's really impressive.

I suppose we could try asking JV how his mind works? He pops in here from time to time to try and drop some fairly weak propaganda.

The hate is strong with this one. :eek:

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hate is too strong a word. I certainly don't hate Vaughters. I don't wish to see him gone from the sport forever or wish for terrible things to happen to him in his personal life.

I'm just tired of JV trying to take me for a ride with his absurd holier than thou Garmin set-up. I've followed cycling for a long time and I'm not a sucker. When Vaughters pushes this hard on the pretend doping crusader front without ever explaining the most questionable aspects of his own team, he deserves to have us push back.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
Very surprising news. Especially given their team ethics.

premise = ethics r legit, not agitprop

Michele said:
I remember hearing from the Cervelo italian dealer that at the time of Cervelo team they wouldnt sign any italian or spanish guys cause they didnt want to ruin their image (with doping).

but they wanted Contador last year. Spin = FAIL!

boomcie said:
Yeah, but Millar rode with anoher team (Saunier Duval) first and profiled himself as some kind of "crusader" against doping.

and Millar had the hide to throw them under the bus as part of the bad brigade, one of the orchard of rotten apples, shoot them William Tell.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Hate is too strong a word. I certainly don't hate Vaughters. I don't wish to see him gone from the sport forever or wish for terrible things to happen to him in his personal life.

I'm just tired of JV trying to take me for a ride with his absurd holier than thou Garmin set-up. I've followed cycling for a long time and I'm not a sucker. When Vaughters pushes this hard on the pretend doping crusader front without ever explaining the most questionable aspects of his own team, he deserves to have us push back.
this.

Vaughters expects us to shut up as we take it in the @ss

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
same set up. They dropped Felt, took a richer bike company, and got some women's team to boot. Tell me this is not a Garmin team. Vroomen et al were going down like a two dollar Hugh Grant Hooker//

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
When did Cervelo want to sign Contador last year? You're just making stuff up now.
same set up. They dropped Felt, took a richer bike company, and got some women's team to boot. Tell me this is not a Garmin team. Vroomen et al were going down like a two dollar Hugh Grant Hooker//

Just deleted a post without any merit here...

If you happen to disagree with JV or not like the man, that's fine and up to you - but please keep the tone sober. No need to ruin yet another thread with this garbage.

Thank you...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

But they weren't the same set up were they? By the time Garmin and Cervelo were discussing a deal, Contador had already agreed to join Saxo.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:

Yes, they do: Jack Bobridge and Travis Meyer. Both contracts began January 1, 2010. According to the UCI (see Joint Agreements, Article 7 for full text):
2. The status of new professional ends:
a. If the contract comes into force before 1 July: on 31 December of the subsequent registration year
That means they're neo for the whole two seasons of their neo-pro contract. If you check the Teams section of the UCI website, both Bobridge and Meyer are listed as Neo.

It's always been an interesting question as to why, given that Garmin had to make room for the new Cervelo signings, they left a spot open on their roster. This might just be the reason.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
That was the spring when Dekker was most definitely on the juice, so I won't read too much into those results.

this is the problem at pro level.
He was certainly a massive talent in the espoirs. Really dominated.
The doping obviously clouds mystery over his pro-career tho.

Dekker himself said he wasn't as good as people thought (before being caught). Indicating something.

I like dekker, i liked his attitude regarding the doping and I hope he finds a team. I do agree that gesink was probably the better GT hope, and climber, but they were different riders.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
and yet i believe most doping starts when they just get pro... not junior/espoir level except some sick talentless people like kohl

Are you saying there is a qualitative difference between dopers based on how 'intrinsically' talented they are, and that the use of doping by a so called talented youngster is ultimately excusable, whereas the use of doping by an 'untalented' youngster is not?