• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas Wiesel Linked to Investigation

Thomas Weisel is getting increased attention.

Tech Financier Thomas Weisel Linked To Lance Armstrong Blood Doping Investigation

"The government is continuing to investigate the Lance Armstrong doping allegations, and it's not clear what their ultimate goal is. But it seems possible that, if Tyler Hamilton's story is accurate, and the Montgomery-Bell team did have a systematic doping program in the late 1990s, that Thomas Weisel might soon be facing some tough questions of his own."

And:

Lance Armstrong Doping Story Points Toward S.F. Company

"As a federal investigation continues, the way forward seems less clear for the owner of of the team that allegedly pressured Hamilton to make his choice."

Dave.

A

Anonymous

D-Queued said:
Thomas Weisel is getting increased attention.

Tech Financier Thomas Weisel Linked To Lance Armstrong Blood Doping Investigation

"The government is continuing to investigate the Lance Armstrong doping allegations, and it's not clear what their ultimate goal is. But it seems possible that, if Tyler Hamilton's story is accurate, and the Montgomery-Bell team did have a systematic doping program in the late 1990s, that Thomas Weisel might soon be facing some tough questions of his own."

And:

Lance Armstrong Doping Story Points Toward S.F. Company

"As a federal investigation continues, the way forward seems less clear for the owner of of the team that allegedly pressured Hamilton to make his choice."

Dave.

I'd imagine Weisel has been not sleeping well for a while. I'm curious about Och, Steve Johnson, Stapleton... I'm thinking if Weisel is getting looked at then it stands to reason these guys are too.

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Weisel is certainly deep pockets - which means he has the resources to fight it, but it could also make him the "big fish" the Feds are after, besides Armstrong.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I'd imagine Weisel has been not sleeping well for a while. I'm curious about Och, Steve Johnson, Stapleton... I'm thinking if Weisel is getting looked at then it stands to reason these guys are too.

But Lance wasn't a part owner of Tailwind....oh wait, he was entitled to stock but didn't get it for months if at all. LOL! They are all in the Fed's sights. This is not just about doping. It's about a criminal enterprise that has defrauded the government for $31million and an insurance carrier for $5million. Along they way they probably facilitated the enterprise with money laundering, tax evasion, bribing foreign officials--a few little things. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:
But Lance wasn't a part owner of Tailwind....oh wait, he was entitled to stock but didn't get it for months if at all. LOL! They are all in the Fed's sights. This is not just about doping. It's about a criminal enterprise that has defrauded the government for $31million and an insurance carrier for $5million. Along they way they probably facilitated the enterprise with money laundering, tax evasion, bribing foreign officials--a few little things. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

BINGO . . . I have been wondring for years how long this was going to take before the dots finally got connected.

A

Anonymous

Cimacoppi49 said:

But wait:D:D (with my best fanboy logic applied)... didn't USPS receive $100,000,000 in exposure for their $31,000,000 "investment"?

For the show, which wine were you recommending earlier?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
When Tyler told the "White LunchBag Story" on 60 Minutes, he was describing the 1997 Tour I believe. Believe.

Anyway, the Postal Team was a WildCard Invite that year.
Here is their roster:

191. Vjatsjeslav Ekimov (Rus)
192. Adriano Baffi (Ita)
193. Dariusz Baranowski (Pol)
194. Pascal Derami (Fra)
195. Tyler Hamilton (USA)
196. George Hincapie (USA)
197. Marty Jemison (USA)
198. Peter Meinert-Nielsen (Den)
199. Jean-Cyril Robin (Fra)

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/archives/tour97/tdfteams97.html

Here are the final standings FYI:

1 Jan Ullrich (GER) Team Telekom 100h 30' 35"
2 Richard Virenque (FRA) Festina-Lotus 9' 09"
3 Marco Pantani (ITA) Mercatone Uno 14' 03"
4 Abraham Olano (ESP) Banesto 15' 55"
5 Fernando Escartín (ESP) Kelme-Costa Blanca 20' 32"
6 Francesco Casagrande (ITA) Saeco 22' 47"
7 Bjarne Riis (DEN) Team Telekom 26' 34"
8 José Maria Jiménez (ESP) Banesto 31' 13"
9 Laurent Dufaux (SUI) Festina-Lotus 31' 55"
10 Roberto Conti (ITA) Mercatone Uno 32' 26"
11 Beat Zberg (SUI) Mercatone Uno 35' 41"
12 Oscar Camenzind (SUI) Mapei-GB 35' 52"
13 Peter Luttenberger (AUT) Rabobank 45' 39"
14 Manuel Beltrán (ESP) Banesto 49' 34"
15 Jean-Cyril Robin (FRA) US Postal 58' 35"

Polish said:
When Tyler told the "White LunchBag Story" on 60 Minutes, he was describing the 1997 Tour I believe. Believe.

Anyway, the Postal Team was a WildCard Invite that year.
Here is their roster:

191. Vjatsjeslav Ekimov (Rus)
192. Adriano Baffi (Ita)
193. Dariusz Baranowski (Pol)
194. Pascal Derami (Fra)
195. Tyler Hamilton (USA)
196. George Hincapie (USA)
197. Marty Jemison (USA)
198. Peter Meinert-Nielsen (Den)
199. Jean-Cyril Robin (Fra)

Thanks Polish.

Now, do everyone a favor and identify which of these were receiving the white lunch bags.

We know that there was more than one (Bags is plural, not bag), so just saying 'Eki' isn't good enough.

Dave.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
obviously, they didn't have the best stuff in their white lunch bags. It would now be interesting to hear what Tyler has to say about this story:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/08/road/old-doping-accusations-lead-to-altercation_82154

I'm not a religious guy, but if there's a hell, there's a special place in it for Jemison. Smearing a guy like this to perpetuate your own lie, a lie you've told so many times that you actually believe....there really aren't words to describe this sort of d-baggery.

131313 said:
obviously, they didn't have the best stuff in their white lunch bags. It would now be interesting to hear what Tyler has to say about this story:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/08/road/old-doping-accusations-lead-to-altercation_82154

I'm not a religious guy, but if there's a hell, there's a special place in it for Jemison. Smearing a guy like this to perpetuate your own lie, a lie you've told so many times that you actually believe....there really aren't words to describe this sort of d-baggery.

Marty Jemison's legacy is going to be as a bottle carrier for one of the biggest frauds in sports history. Maybe his next cycling tour will be around the grounds of a federal prison.

131313 said:

Roid Rage?

During the stage 3 criterium in Salt Lake City last Friday, Tour of Utah team liaison Marty Jemison, a former U.S. Postal Service rider, punched Steffen after the team doctor made what Jemison considered to be an inflammatory remark about alleged doping dating back over a decade

Dave.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Thanks Polish.

Now, do everyone a favor and identify which of these were receiving the white lunch bags.

We know that there was more than one (Bags is plural, not bag), so just saying 'Eki' isn't good enough.

Dave.

I would guess the Polish guy and the French dudes were "brown" bagging.

But the Feds should have NO problem finding systematic doping at the 1997 TdF.

Might be able to "connect the dots" to Eddie B too.
Greg LeMond's old mentor.

If Eddie B gets indicted, will Greg testify for or against Eddie B?
Prosecution witness or Defense witness?

Polish said:
I would guess the Polish guy and the French dudes were "brown" bagging.

But the Feds should have NO problem finding systematic doping at the 1997 TdF.

Might be able to "connect the dots" to Eddie B too.
Greg LeMond's old mentor.

If Eddie B gets indicted, will Greg testify for or against Eddie B?
Prosecution witness or Defense witness?

Thread is about Weasel being linked to the Postal etal investigation and yet the polisher is still trying to come up with some GL/doping connection.

He gets an A for effort, but an F for content.:rolleyes:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Marty Jemison's legacy is going to be as a bottle carrier for one of the biggest frauds in sports history. Maybe his next cycling tour will be around the grounds of a federal prison.

Incorrect. MJ won the national championship jersey in 1999, then made an off hand comment in an interview that he would like to maybe win a stage of Le Tour while riding in support of Lance. He never road The Tour again, was banished to a bunch of US crits, and was basically black-listed by LA.

So really, he never even got to carry water. His legacy is that of being a giant d-bag.

Hugh Januss said:
Thread is about Weasel being linked to the Postal etal investigation and yet the polisher is still trying to come up with some GL/doping connection.

Silly.

Personal disclaimer: My uncle actually went to school with Weisel.

Even though I could have a personal agenda to protect Thomas, I have launched this thread.

In other words, thread-jacking really ****es me off.

Dave.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Sept. 3, 2010, for the Whistle-blower side of things

Lance Armstrong and his closest supporters are named as defendants in a whistle-blower lawsuit Armstrong's former teammate Floyd Landis brought under the federal False Claims Act earlier this year but kept confidential until now.

Landis, who has accused Armstrong of hardcore doping, named Armstrong and his corporate backers Bart Knaggs, Bill Stapleton and Thom Weisel in the complaint, according to a person familiar with the situation, as well as Johan Bruyneel, the sport director who oversaw Armstrong's teams.

Other defendants include Tailwind Sports Corporation, Tailwind LLC, Montgomery Sports, Inc. and Capital Sports and Entertainment - all corporate entities that backed Armstrong's teams over the past decade.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...yneel-positive-testosterone-test-floyd-landis

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

Didn't Eddie B and Thom Weisel co-found the US Postal Squad?

I suppose Eddie B can be a seperate thread if the mods think thats appropriate.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

I think the highlighted names will be sleeping worse than Weisel.
Weisel will probably have protected himself somewhat and delegated a lot of the jobs to Ochowitz, Johnson and Gorski - in the same way that Stapleton did a lot for Armstrong. These guys are the ones who are in danger of getting caught in any paper trail (as these were the bag men) and doing jail time.

Weisel & Armstrong will be somewhat insulated and will feign ignorance to what they did. Which is why I think as regards future Federal sanctions they may have to pay fines but avoid jail time.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
But wait:D:D (with my best fanboy logic applied)... didn't USPS receive $100,000,000 in exposure for their $31,000,000 "investment"?

For the show, which wine were you recommending earlier?
In garden variety fraud cases detrimental reliance is one of the elements of the cause of action. Government contracts and criminal statutes can vary that standard as to representations made to induce a contract. It's not my area of present expertise, but for a small retainer, I'll get back to you with an opinion. :D

I'm going with Babbich Sauvignon Blanc. or St. Michael from Washington State.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I think the highlighted names will be sleeping worse than Weisel.
Weisel will probably have protected himself somewhat and delegated a lot of the jobs to Ochowitz, Johnson and Gorski - in the same way that Stapleton did a lot for Armstrong. These guys are the ones who are in danger of getting caught in any paper trail (as these were the bag men) and doing jail time.

Weisel & Armstrong will be somewhat insulated and will feign ignorance to what they did. Which is why I think as regards future Federal sanctions they may have to pay fines but avoid jail time.
I will be interesting to see which of the perps cut deals to hang Weisel and Armstrong. I don't see Stapleton going down for Lance (God, that sounds weird) or Och for Weisel.

Cimacoppi49 said:
I will be interesting to see which of the perps cut deals to hang Weisel and Armstrong. I don't see Stapleton going down for Lance (God, that sounds weird) or Och for Weisel.

Judging by the simple fact Stapleton was documented as checking Wonderboy's blood values in the SI article, I'd say the other thieves will try to throw their business partners into the Fed's man eating shark tank.

Well, you have to wonder how Law Enforcement will deal with that den of thieves. You couldn't trust a single fact from any of them.