• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thor's book

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the sponsors could have taken their money and sponsorship elsewhere with Thor if it is true.

like the Lefevre and Davitamon luv in and then conscious uncoupling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/conscious-uncoupling_n_5037190.html

warning:euro trash
media_xl_900800.jpg

Race Radio said:
Ha, true.

Floyd is hardly the only doper Thor jumped on. He was often a go to guy for a quote when a rider was busted. He had no problem jumping on plenty if dopers....but he held his tongue when it came to Lance

This is what i remember about Thor. He was a peloton 'spokesman' many times..and always pretty outspoken

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to tell him that he was wrong. That it wasn't at all correct that everyone doped themselves. That I didn't do it. I should have said that I myself was clean, that I never used dope and would never do it. Because I think Lance believed that I drugged myself too.”

So, why didn't you?

The quotes from this book are one of the biggest crock's of **** I have read since watching an Obama press conference.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:
None of it makes sense. If they sack Vaughters (as if they could) why would he then say he rejected the offer because he couldn't stand the thought of having to work with him anymore? Maybe there is some grain of something somewhere in the story, but the details doesn't add up.
I believe he'd already signed with BMC early in the year.
Race Radio said:
Yeah, it does not make sense.
"Chemistry" issues, saying he would not race GW unless he was paid 400,000 euros. Sounds like a prima donna
This was apparently related to a promised bonus for winning Worlds which he was never paid.

I remember watching the Garmin Cervelo behind the scenes videos from the classics in 2011. Hushovd, Haussler and other Cervelo guys just looked dumbfounded at how terrible the Vaughters-led pre race tactics meetings were. It was funny.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
So how did their little feud start? From JV's riding years? CA? Did JV know more than Thor wanted told?

His contract with Garmin (or whatever they were called then) included a bonus of 500 000 Euro if he won the Worlds in Geelong, but Vaughters didn't pay the bonus. They were probably at each others throats over money even before he started riding for the team. And after that it just got worse.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
neineinei said:
His contract with Garmin (or whatever they were called then) included a bonus of 500 000 Euro if he won the Worlds in Geelong, but Vaughters didn't pay the bonus. They were probably at each others throats over money even before he started riding for the team. And after that it just got worse.

What a swell guy, huh?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
There were some great photos, from a Garmin team perspective, taken when Farrar won the third stage at the 2011 TdF. I remember visting Garmins website at the time and noticing that they used a picture on their front page that only showed Farrar, not the two celebrating teammates other photos had in the background. Maybe it was a coincidence. But from the interviews Vaughters gave to the Norwegian press at the time it was pretty obvious that it was difficult for Vaughters to deliver the Thor praise they were after. The Norwegian press only wanted to talk about Thor, Vaughters only wanted to talk about anything but Thor.

tourdefrance_2011_30.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:

No, Thor had already signed his Garmin agreement before Worlds. It did not include a 500,000 bonus.

Thor has intentionally left it vague as he knows the facts do not support him

Dear Wiggo said:
What a swell guy, huh?

Yeah, Thor being deliberately vague about the facts so it appears to the uninformed that JV screwed him is very "Swell"

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I can’t see how this book is a good thing for Thor. He does not come across good at all.

He complains a lot about tactics, feels that everyone should only focus on him. After Worlds he paid all his teammates a bonus, except for EBH. This seems very petty. Thor himself said in his post race interview.

"I was hesitating on whether to go or not but I saw [Oscar] Freire and a few guys sitting back so I didn't go. I had Edvald Boasson Hagen in front for Norway so that was good

There were still 5 laps to go. EBH being part of the break allowed Thor, and his teammates, to sit in while Spain and Russia worked hard, burning matches

He also complains that Garmin’s tactics did not revolve around him enough. it is hard for any rational person to watch the 2011 Tour and not see the entire team working their a$$ off for Thor. The reality is Thor complaints about tactics revolve around one race, Paris-Roubaix. After that race Thor babbled about it for weeks……even though the race was won by his teammate, Johan Vansummeren. Garmin’s tactics worked, their rider won the race.

Thor spent the days following Tyler’s 60 Minutes interview with Lance. While Tyler is getting decimated by Armstrong’s professional smear machine Thor says nothing.... even though Lance admitted to Thor that Tyler was telling the truth. Thor would had to have been living in a cave to miss Armstrong working hard to destroy USADA, Floyd, Tyler, etc…..but he did nothing. Not only did he do nothing but he stood up for Lance, parroting the “Never tested positive” nonsense and babbling about crucifixions. He says he was shocked that Lance had doped…….has he been living in a cave?

Thor’s talk about money makes no sense. There is clearly information missing. Prior to Worlds Thor signs a deal with Garmin-Cervelo. Does anyone really believe that after the race JV calls him up and gives him 500,000 Euros? There has to be more to the story. Maybe the bonus was contingent on a new sponsor, or a new, longer, contract but otherwise it seems crazy. Anyone think Thor’s agent, Carrera, would ever talk to Slipstream again if Thor had a legitimate case? Thor’s response to this is not to sue for his supposed 500,000 but to throw a tantrum and refuse to ride Gent–Wevelgem unless he gets $7,000? Really?

Thor thinks he should be paid 500,000 for winning Worlds even though it was not in his contract. Maybe Thor should give back some of the 7,000,000 Euros BMC paid him?.....after all he produced nothing the last 3 years.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
goggalor said:
I believe he'd already signed with BMC early in the year.

This was apparently related to a promised bonus for winning Worlds which he was never paid.

I remember watching the Garmin Cervelo behind the scenes videos from the classics in 2011. Hushovd, Haussler and other Cervelo guys just looked dumbfounded at how terrible the Vaughters-led pre race tactics meetings were. It was funny.
That was the pre-race meeting on the bus prior to Milan-San Remo. The look on Thor's face said it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubKhIKyUBI&t=4m50s

neineinei said:
JV's take on the situation:
“After Thor won worlds, he wanted to be paid more, but he had signed six weeks earlier,” Vaughters said. “The night before the Tour of Lombardy we had dinner together, we sat down, and I told him, ‘I agree, you should be paid more as the world champion, but I don’t have the budget. I can pay you more but I’d have to sell the team bus.’ What I said to Thor is ‘if we find an additional sponsor, I’ll give you additional compensation.’ I’d love to pay him more, and I will try to.

I really came to dislike Hushovd throughout his time with Garmin. I remember when he won stage 13 of the 2011 Tour after a long solo attack. The one thing that he was most proud of was that he did it ALL BY HIMSELF. It was all Thor, all the time, as far as Hushovd was concerned. He did nothing publicly to promote a sense of "team" while riding for Garmin. His years at BMC prove just how overinflated his ego was.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
he sounds a little aggrieved and greedy alliteration like Kevin Pietersen. The difference between Thor and KP, KP was a genius. Only need to ask Warne and Rod Marsh. Best batsman of the modern era, better than Lara and Tendulkar and Viv Richards.

hey hey Thor, if you are gonna whine and whinge, you need to be a genius. which you are not.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Parker said:
This is Spinal Tap is 30 years old. Bobbie Fleckman, hostess with the mostest.
oh, ok, well they probably got it off the This Is Spinal Tap mockumentary or whereever

thnx for giving me the genesis which i was ignorant of <thumbs up>

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
JV's take on the situation:

I told him, ‘I agree, you should be paid more as the world champion, but I don’t have the budget. I can pay you more but I’d have to sell the team bus.’ What I said to Thor is ‘if we find an additional sponsor, I’ll give you additional compensation.’

Funny how Thor leaves that part out of the book :rolleyes: