• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thor's book

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
Remember Thor rides for Norway. He had two team mates, neopro Kristoff and EBH whose chances were similar to Hushovd's. Though obviously Hushovd felt he was in brilliant form, which he proved by winning, and wanted Kjærgaard to make him captain. Kjærgaard didn't do this however so Hushovd told EBH and Kristoff he'd pay them 50 000 NOK if they rode for him and he won. What a 3 man Norwegian team does is completely irrelevant for the tactics of the race, so EBH being in the break doesn't help Thor at all. He'd be better off having EBH with him to help pull or lead out the sprint. Understandably EBH would rather race for himself, but then Thor doesn't have any obligation to pay him. Of course it would be the "nice" thing to do, but Thor's never been a particularly "nice" guy.

Even in that race their tactics were awful. Remember Garmin pulling Rasch out of the winning break to try and pull Thor's group back? Rasch called this move ridiculous and commented that it was made by Vaughters who had never ridden Paris Roubaix. Lucky for them their one guy left in the break won it.

You are correct about the Worlds, but Thor was good with it at the time. He changed his mind later.

Rasch was pulled back for Thor. They wanted to keep the gap tight in hopes that Cancellara would try to bridge up, dragging Thor along with him. Thor was glued to his wheel the entire race. This also allowed Van Summeren to sit on in the break as he kept telling the others in the break that Thor was coming. Very smart tactics that worked perfectly.....just not for Thor, they worked for his teammate.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this will make norwegians realize their athletes arent special and more anti doping than everyone else.

Most other norwegian cyclists are exactly like Thor.. super clean, but never saw or heard anything about doping despite riding for some of the dirtiest teams in the sport.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Anders is a good reporter and a good guy. Thor does not like him because he has called him on his nonsense for years. He also was angry at the cover of Anders' newspaper today. The headline was "Shame on you Thor"

It is clear he is trying to smear JV. Communicate only through Twitter? Hard to ignore that JV was at most of his races, that the discussion about the new contract started over dinner in Italy. Regardless if Thor has an issue with his contract that conflict should be handled by his agent, not Thor. That is what Thor pays him for

There was more from the press conference. He continued to push the apologist line that Lance has "Done a lot of good"

He went after Bassons. Says a guy like Bassons should maybe look at his own way of training and living/eating, because – according to Thor – it was possible to win clean.

Says if it happened again he still wouldn’t have gone to anti doping Norway after that lunch in Hollywood in May 2011. “Not my job” he says. :eek:

He was asked him if he would recommend young riders to talk if they see anything in the future, he answers “yes”. Talk to the team manager, and they can forward the message he says

He took a couple shots at Riis. Said he didn’t want to go to Saxo because of the past of Bjarne and Bjarne is hiding things......this from the guy who went to BMC :rolleyes: Och, Rihs, Freddy Viene. ugh.

verdensgang-20141016_000_00_00_001.jpg

Betsy: Shame on you, Thor!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is clear he is trying to smear JV. Communicate only through Twitter? Hard to ignore that JV was at most of his races, that the discussion about the new contract started over dinner in Italy. Regardless if Thor has an issue with his contract that conflict should be handled by his agent, not Thor. That is what Thor pays him for
Gotta love the irony though, JV claiming he 'knows' his riders are clean, even though all the evidence suggests he spends remarkably little time with/around his riders.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:

Good link, looks like I missed a few things

So Thor refuses to help Anti-doping Norway and then says

"Why can't the anti-doping agencies catch the cheaters? That is what should be criticized,"

Wow.

Hushovd said on Thursday this would have disrupted his season and resulted in an exchange of accusations that could not have been proved. Furthermore, in 2011, it was six years since Armstrong had last competed in the Tour de France.

Huh? Lance did not ride the 2009/10 Tours?

Race Radio said:
The feeling I get from the Norwegian journalists is that they feel they have been lied to for a long time and they are not happy with Thor.

Thor thought this book would be received positively and solidify his image......if anything it has done the exact opposite.

They are thinking like children, if that is the way they feel. If they didn't figure out Hushovd was not about to risk his career for them to write a story they weren't very bright.

Journalists in Norway don't decide someones image, they might influence it, but not decide it(they could also make their victim more popular:D). The only thing that is made a big deal out of is that he in 2011 didn't go to the authorities. He choose himself and his career thinking if he would say something he could no longer focus on cycling since that stuff would take too much of his energy.

Also he likely didn't think it would do any good. How many would not do the same in 2011? Race you have known about Lance and done as much as you could to make sure Lance got caught. Yet you want to remain anonymous. I assume because you don't want this part of your life to influence your job which I assume has something to do relating to cycling. And what good will it do if you stopped being anonymous? Probably not much, so why not remain anonymous?

It's a similar thing. Hushovd could have done the Bassons thing, but he wanted to continue his career instead.

Hushovd could have done the heroic thing or the self serving thing. He was not a hero, he was a cyclist.

Here is a link to an article with an online poll asking: "Should Hushovd have told about Armstrongs doping?

As I write: The result is 53% no and 47% yes. This is a question about ethics and morality when you dig a little deeper. And people see it from both sides.

http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/doping/antidoping-norge-mener-hushovd-burde-varslet/a/23316424/

Use your favorite translator.

To view the numbers it says in Norwegian [se resultat] (in case google is being naughty)

gooner said:

From how sure he sounds, it doesn't sound like it. I saw most of it and I feel I need to read the book before i judge.

On the article you linked: The headline says he defended Lance. I didn't see that in the press conference, and I have not heard him defend Lance either. He did however defend his decision not to say anything about what Lance had said. That is something totally different.

the sceptic said:
Has anyone checked if he said anything negative about Betsy or Frankie?
Now I know how much you like reading about us so I'm sorry to say we're not even mentioned - or so I'm told.

ToreBear said:
.... He choose himself and his career thinking if he would say something he could no longer focus on cycling since that stuff would take too much of his energy.

Also he likely didn't think it would do any good. How many would not do the same in 2011? Race you have known about Lance and done as much as you could to make sure Lance got caught. Yet you want to remain anonymous.

Last I heard, Race Radio wasn't a public figure. Johan outed his identity a few years ago, anyway.

I have to wonder if Thor's children are ever in the position of being wrongly and unjustly accused of something they are telling the truth about and people know they're telling the truth but decide to remain quiet as they watch on as his kids face negative consequences for speaking the truth, would Thor be okay with that? After all, why should those people get involved when it doesn't involve them, right?

As the adage goes "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. "

I know for a fact there are many more Thors out there.

elizab said:
Now I know how much you like reading about us so I'm sorry to say we're not even mentioned - or so I'm told.

Last I heard, Race Radio wasn't a public figure. Johan outed his identity a few years ago, anyway.

I have to wonder if Thor's children are ever in the position of being wrongly and unjustly accused of something they are telling the truth about and people know they're telling the truth but decide to remain quiet as they watch on as his kids face negative consequences for speaking the truth, would Thor be okay with that? After all, why should those people get involved when it doesn't involve them, right?

As the adage goes "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. "

I know for a fact there are many more Thors out there.

I agree. If everyone minds their own business, evil things will happen. Still it's more normal for humans to be quiet than to speak out. Very few are brave enough to speak out. But when they are others will often follow. But not everyone.

Not every one is as brave and honorable as you are Betsy. In a perfect world they would be. But most are not.

Ps. About Race Radio. It was just an illustration, the point was that not everyone does the right thing when they have a choice. They choose the thing that often is easier and morally acceptable for them selves.

And personally I don't know who Race Radio is. Though I imagine him as a guy carrying an old radio around. So he shouldn't be too hard to spot.:D

neineinei said:
Hushovd was surprised that there were so many questions about doping at his press conferance today.

http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/...ner-mer-respekt-enn-han-fikk-her-468446_1.snd

Through Google Translate:
- It is a pity that there is so much focus on doping. I think he deserved more respect and credit for what he did throughout his career than he got here, says sports director of the Norwegian Cycling Federation, Hans Falk to Fædrelandsvennen.

Another federation completely committed to doping then. Talk about the cleanest peloton ever.... Ugh.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ToreBear said:
I agree. If everyone minds their own business, evil things will happen. Still it's more normal for humans to be quiet than to speak out. Very few are brave enough to speak out. But when they are others will often follow. But not everyone.

I understand Thor's reluctance to speak publicly but he still could have spoke in private to Norway's ADA. He also could have just said "No Comment" when it came to Lance instead of defending him. He was also with Lance in the day's following Tyler's 60 Minutes interview. He knew Tyler was telling the truth but hung out with lance as his media team set out to decimate Tyler.

Of course the Lance stuff is only part of it. Going after Bassons, EBH, JV, all seem very petty. He went after Riis in his press conference, saying he did not sign with Saxo because of him. He forgets that he signed with BMC at the height of all their issues. Not just Och etc. but also a member of their staff had been arrested with 200 doses of EPO. Thor had no problem with this.....likely because they gave him 2,500,000 reasons not to

A man still clearly in the Lance Armstrong camp (A bit like Hincapie) trying to smooth things over, coming across like a nice guy and lying through his teeth.

Like the charm offensive of Tony Blair,

Never liked Hushovd and now even more reason to.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
He's definitely coming off like a diva with some of his comments. With other comments he sounds like a lying doping apologist. I never cared about Thor as a rider or person until he threw the post-PR tantrums, and that indifference turned quickly to dislike.

Race Radio said:
I understand Thor's reluctance to speak publicly but he still could have spoke in private to Norway's ADA. He also could have just said "No Comment" when it came to Lance instead of defending him. He was also with Lance in the day's following Tyler's 60 Minutes interview. He knew Tyler was telling the truth but hung out with lance as his media team set out to decimate Tyler.

Of course the Lance stuff is only part of it. Going after Bassons, EBH, JV, all seem very petty. He went after Riis in his press conference, saying he did not sign with Saxo because of him. He forgets that he signed with BMC at the height of all their issues. Not just Och etc. but also a member of their staff had been arrested with 200 doses of EPO. Thor had no problem with this.....likely because they gave him 2,500,000 reasons not to

This is your interpretation of the situation. But I think you are interpreting from worst intent. This is one of the reasons I feel it's too early to be as bombastic as you are.

I too would have liked him to talk with ADN, but seing as he had been in the sport for so long, and might have suspicions about UCI involvment, he might not trust "the authorities". Or he didn't want to be involved in any of that stuff(Shultz defence).

I don't remember interviews done 3 years ago. But I find it plausible that saying no comment would create even more questions. No comment = I have something to hide. So that doesn't sound like such a good idea either.

As for hanging out with Lance while his media team were setting out to decimate Tyler. What does that have to do with Thor? I don't think he had any idea about what Lance was planning in the future, how could he have known if Thor didn't ask more about the subject.

The Bassons comment was mentioned in the context of Thor believing Bassons said it was impossible to win clean in cycling. Thor competes clean, hence Bassons is wrong in Thor's eyes because Thor won. Now I don't know in what context Bassons comments came, but I would imagine he was right in regards to winning grand tours. This might have not occurred to Thor who fired off of some headline he had read somewhere.

I didn't interpret anything as going after EBH. He told a story about his perception of the race. I don't see either one of them doing anything wrong. Whether Thor did the right thing or not is between him and EBH.

As for JV, all Thor said that could be interpreted negatively was that he seemed to not respond to his riders(How often do team mergers go well?). All he did was tweet out stuff. He started off talking about JV as someone who he looked forward to working with since he rode with him in CA and was something of a color splat. Or if talking google translate "splash of color".:D

I did not get to see the Riis part because the channel I was pvring switched to the news.

But he did mention something relating to BMC when he said something about why he didn't talk or something. I don't remember what, but it was something about Och and the mechanic(Viveane or something?).

What I have written here is my interpretation of what he said, and also relating that to his context at the time.

Now he does seem to have some views that are quite inconsistent. This is very common for us humans, we tend to be hypocritical about something. We don't necessarily realize what views negate other views. We are all hypocrites in some way if all our views are laid out.

I think I disagree with some of what he said, but I'll need to read the book to be sure of what he means.

DirtyWorks said:
Through Google Translate:
- It is a pity that there is so much focus on doping. I think he deserved more respect and credit for what he did throughout his career than he got here, says sports director of the Norwegian Cycling Federation, Hans Falk to Fædrelandsvennen.

Another federation completely committed to doping then. Talk about the cleanest peloton ever.... Ugh.

I think you misunderstand the context. I agree with Hans Falk, and am against doping. What Falk said has nothing to do with doping in cycling, it has to do with the press conference.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
You're funny!

ToreBear said:
I think you misunderstand the context. I agree with Hans Falk, and am against doping. What Falk said has nothing to do with doping in cycling, it has to do with the press conference.

Thanks for the "perspective." :rolleyes:

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Good link, looks like I missed a few things

So Thor refuses to help Anti-doping Norway and then says

Wow.

Huh? Lance did not ride the 2009/10 Tours?

No, the real Lance could not prepare as well as he would have liked to. This is the "Lance" Thor is/is not,referring to.

Thor has also been quoted as saying, "Thor did not dope during Thor's career." "We like Thor's credibility."

TRENDING THREADS