• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thor's book

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It as released today. Some of the clinic related highlights

I understand that it can be hard for people to believe that after a long life in the sport never offered any kind of doping. But it's true. No one has ever come to me and asked if I would try. With hand on heart I can say that I have never been tempted,

He payed Kristoff 50,000 for his help winning the Worlds, but refused to pay EBH as he felt he worked for himself

He says he thinks the UCI hid Armstrong positives

He walked into a hotel room of a friend and saw one of his colleagues with a syringe in his arm and five other cyclists on the bed as spectators. He turned around and left the room

He said he and lance were not close friends. Lance assumed that Thor doped as well. Lance admitted doping to Thor in 2011, explaining "We all did it". He did not go public with this as he did not want to be a key witness in the case. After he spoke out about Lance's case he received a SMS from Lance
"Do you really think I'm the only one who cheats out there? How is it possible to be so stupid! "

He writes about the weight hysteria in cycling. He says it is crazy and cannot be healthy. He says he struggled with it his entire career.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It as released today. Some of the clinic related highlights

He payed Kristoff 50,000 for his help winning the Worlds, but refused to pay EBH as he felt he worked for himself

He says he thinks the UCI hid Armstrong positives

He walked into a hotel room of a friend and saw one of his colleagues with a syringe in his arm and five other cyclists on the bed as spectators. He turned around and left the room

He said he and lance were not close friends. Lance assumed that Thor doped as well. Lance admitted doping to Thor in 2011, explaining "We all did it". He did not go public with this as he did not want to be a key witness in the case. After he spoke out about Lance's case he received a SMS from Lance

He writes about the weight hysteria in cycling. He says it is crazy and cannot be healthy.

Hushovd is a moron. Never seen or heard anything about doping. Yeah right.

In 2011 when Lance told him everyone doped he was in shock. But yet in 2012 he was insisting Lance never tested positive and there was no evidence.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Hushovd is a moron. Never seen or heard anything about doping. Yeah right.

In 2011 when Lance told him everyone doped he was in shock. But yet in 2012 he was insisting Lance never tested positive and there was no evidence.

Did you read what Thor said? He didn't say anything because he didn't want to get involved. Like a lot of people he was probably scared of Lance.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Did you read what Thor said? He didn't say anything because he didn't want to get involved. Like a lot of people he was probably scared of Lance.

Did you read what Sceptic posted? Thor did say something and it was to defend Armstrong!

Thor didn't dope? oh look a Norwegian Unicorn!

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
He's gotta be joking. If he wasn't doping in 2011 to save a pretty bland classics campaign I'd be surprised. He salvaged a pretty iffy season with 2 wins in some pretty hilly stages and his rise in form in parallel with EvBH was pretty strange.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
He talks a bit about Steffen Kjærsgaard. Says he never should have been made head of the national team, thought his doping was the result of riding with Lance/USPS. He says Steffen said nothing to him at the time of his admission but after 18 months sent him a long apology text.

He also says Norwegians are naive about doping

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:

Scared of Lance? :rolleyes: they were friends.

Hushovd has always defended Lance in the media.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
earfloss said:
He's gotta be joking. If he wasn't doping in 2011 to save a pretty bland classics campaign I'd be surprised. He salvaged a pretty iffy season with 2 wins in some pretty hilly stages and his rise in form in parallel with EvBH was pretty strange.

Wasn't he with Garmin in 2011? Even if he doped during his career then I think it's safe to say he was clean in 2011.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
He talks a bit about Steffen Kjærsgaard. Says he never should have been made head of the national team, thought his doping was the result of riding with Lance/USPS. He says Steffen said nothing to him at the time of his admission but after 18 months sent him a long apology text.

He also says Norwegians are naive about doping

Thor full of ***.

Google will show how many articles have been done on Norwegians doping and it didn't happen after Armstrong told Oprah about doping!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Wasn't he with Garmin in 2011? Even if he doped during his career then I think it's safe to say he was clean in 2011.

Yeah, those stages wins in TdF while with Garmin really looked clean!!

May 19, 2010
Visit site
He is also complaining abut Antidoping Norge trying to catch old dopers.

I think it's bull**** that Anti-Doping Norway will start a witch hunt for old sinners.

I guess he is talking about their investigation into cycling, which didn't catch anyone.

http://www.antidoping.no/om-antidoping-norge/nyheter/intervjuprosjekt-om-doping-i-sykkelsporten/

His criticism of the Norwegian Sports Federation and how they mangaged to send race walker Erik Tysse to the London games is a bit delayed. Alexander Kristoff spoke his mind about it when it happened. Hushovd was savng it for his biography.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
One year after Lance detailed his doping to Hushovd........ Thor said this

"Hushovd says that riders that cheat deserve punishment, but he doesnt wont to judge his buddy today"

"Lance never tested positive thats why this is a difficult case"

"The case boils down to some people, for different reasons, talking about what they have seen and heard, if there was a positive test, the case would be ok"

"If I had a buddy that got caught drunk driving then he is still my buddy. But its disappointing if this is true, on the other hand Lance has done a lot for other people in different circumstances"

- Do you think that Armstrong cheated?

- I can not comment on

Hard to take seriously what he is saying today

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Summary:

Christian Paasche (cycling commentator on TV2 (broadcaster of Tour de France in Norway): So Hushovd was part of the Omerta?
Ole Kristian Stoltenberg (ditto): Yes, he was.

It took 43 minutes for TV2 to read through the book. This included a walk from the publisher to the TV station.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
neineinei said:
Summary:

Christian Paasche (cycling commentator on TV2 (broadcaster of Tour de France in Norway): So Hushovd was part of the Omerta?
Ole Kristian Stoltenberg (ditto): Yes, he was.

It took 43 minutes for TV2 to read through the book. This included a walk from the publisher to the TV station.

Thats not bad considering it took them 10 years to figure out Hushovd is omerta.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:
One year after Lance detailed his doping to Hushovd........ Thor said this

Hard to take seriously what he is saying today

Yes..

He specifically uses the word caught in the drunk driver analogy..
Same as tested positive...
He could have chosen a different wording, but he did not....

the sceptic said:
Scared of Lance? :rolleyes: they were friends.

Hushovd has always defended Lance in the media.

Yeah, but we've been down this road before about Wonderboy. "Friend" in Wonderboy terms is not a conventional meaning. It's shallow at best until you are made an enemy for whatever reason.

I appreciate the honesty from Thor. It seems to me he was trying to keep a job and tow the UCI line.

His comments show, again, how little the UCI is protecting the integrity of the sport.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Armstrong is reading Cyclingnews, at least he was sometime after his Oprah interview. Cyclingnews had found some interview with Hushovd and translated parts of it. (could be this: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd-angry-at-armstrong-for-doping) It spurred Armstrong to send him a SMS:

"Do you really believe I am the only one who cheats out there? How dumb can you be!"
(this is translated back and forth from English, and is probably not Armstrongs actual words)

http://www.tv2.no/2014/10/15/sport/hushovd/6125630

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Lance admitted doping to Thor in 2011

Which is the most laughable point of all, if that is meant to suggest that Thor needed some sort of confirmation...in 2011. :rolleyes:

He rode with Vaughters at Crédit Agricole, and of course spent time at Garmin. But the truth didn't reveal itself to him until Lance mumbled something meaningless in 2011?

Ya. Okey Dokey.

"We all did it." :eek:
Say it aint' so, Thor! Say it ain't so! All the top pros were doping during the "doping era"?!?!

“How stupid is it possible to be?” Indeed.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Thor comes across as a massive hypocrite. Here is his excuse for why he defended Lance

“Many would probably say I almost defended Lance with my evasive answers,” he writes. “So be it. I did not need to judge him. Why should I jump on the wave and crucify Lance because the circumstances and the media expected it?”

He had no problem crucifying Floyd

Among those upset about Landis' inclusion in the conference is Thor Hushovd, one of the cycling world's best sprinters. "He is certainly free to come to a world championship city but he has no place in an anti-doping conference," Hushovd told TV 2 Sport. "When you have managed to lie for so many years and spent lots of money in the system, then he has lost my confidence, and probably that of many others too. Then it is the wrong person to get to work on anti-doping issues."