• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Those fortified medieval villages...

2012_giro_d_italia_stage10_assisi_joaquim_rodriguez_wins1a.jpg

images

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Nice...there's a good example (that's Assisi, Italy)!

That one seems to be a great candidate to run a stage through, rather than to finish. I'm used to seeing (or at least hearing about) the road network running in a spiral, and Assisi seems to be an anomaly in that regard.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
...how come races often will pass by them, but never seem to finish in any of them? Would seem to make for an interesting uphill finish.

Just a thought...

It would be, but usualy there is very little room up there for everything that needs to be at the finish line.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
They should've placed the finish line so that gate was the flame rogue! Of course only if physically possible...

It would be possible but with finish line outside the fortress. But still going uphill.

RedheadDane said:
They should've placed the finish line so that gate was the flame rogue! Of course only if physically possible...

That would have been awesome if the could pull it off

personal said:
It would be, but usualy there is very little room up there for everything that needs to be at the finish line.

The main thing is room for all the team buses and support vehicles. Add to that the area for the podium and and press area you can struggle in the small towns.

Loving all the pics in this thread though

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Tigerion said:
That would have been awesome if the could pull it off

The main thing is room for all the team buses and support vehicles. Add to that the area for the podium and and press area you can struggle in the small towns.

Loving all the pics in this thread though
I agree. I will say, however, that I think it would be make a better race if the routes actually went through some of the small towns rather than just around them...the Tour de France suffers from this malady, where, what, a half-dozen stages decides the tour?