• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tiesj Benoot thread

In the Strade pre-race discussion, I posted this...

Strade: Kwiat is the favorite...period. GVA and Sagan going at it, both are serious customers, that will be interesting. I'd like Bardet to do well. Vincenzo...that feather on his hat would shine. He can do anything. He's the dark horse IMO. Benoot did well last year: can he finally win something?

He did it. With that monkey off his back, I really think that he can win a bunch, quickly. He should be done second-guessing himself and/or wonder what bad can happen. Or have the "here we go again" thoughts.

Super talented rider. As I stated in the Mos-con thread, I'd rather have him in my team than the punk. Now he delivers, and it's just the beginning I believe.

Tonton said:
In the Strade pre-race discussion, I posted this...

Strade: Kwiat is the favorite...period. GVA and Sagan going at it, both are serious customers, that will be interesting. I'd like Bardet to do well. Vincenzo...that feather on his hat would shine. He can do anything. He's the dark horse IMO. Benoot did well last year: can he finally win something?

He did it. With that monkey off his back, I really think that he can win a bunch, quickly. He should be done second-guessing himself and/or wonder what bad can happen. Or have the "here we go again" thoughts.

Super talented rider. As I stated in the Mos-con thread, I'd rather have him in my team than the punk. Now he delivers, and it's just the beginning I believe.

Nice call. Hope that's the case. I'd like to see a whole lot more of what he delivered on Saturday!

Short, he's smart and really talented.

He lacks a good sprint, but it's not like he's really slow either. In his neo-pro year he was 3rd in a bunch sprint once (Handzame Classic if I remember correctly). The problem is that all classic riders have a good sprint nowadays, so in a group sprint there will always be someone faster. Hence why I think he'll never be someone who wins a lot. But when he wins, it will be a big one (like Strade Bianche).

In Belgium there is a debate about what type of rider he is and what type of races he should be focusing on in the future. He's the kind of rider that can do well in literally every classic there is and he also proved that he can climb pretty well for a 23y old. Contrary to popular belief I think he'll be better in the Ardennes classics and San Sebastian, Lombardia, ... than in the cobbles classics. Because of that 5th place in Flanders when he was 20 years old a lot of people in Belgium thought he was the next Tom Boonen. I've never believed that taking into account his results in the u23 category where he was impressive in races as Tour de l'Isard. I don't think he'll ever be one of the best riders on cobbles, but I do think he can be world class in the more hilly classics. Which doesn't mean that I don't think he can win Flanders, he can. Roubaix though... I don't think so. That 5th place made him choose the Flemish races over the Ardennes in his first two years. Last year he finally did Amstel and I'm convinced he was one of the best that day. Without bad luck he would've been in that first group. I'm very excited that he's also doing Liège this year.

Oh, he's also a real "flandrien". Just like Wellens, he loves wind and rain. He doesn't have a problem performing in the heat though.

Re:

Samamba said:

He lacks a good sprint, but it's not like he's really slow either. In his neo-pro year he was 3rd in a bunch sprint once (Handzame Classic if I remember correctly). The problem is that all classic riders have a good sprint nowadays, so in a group sprint there will always be someone faster. Hence why I think he'll never be someone who wins a lot. But when he wins, it will be a big one (like Strade Bianche).

In Belgium there is a debate about what type of rider he is and what type of races he should be focusing on in the future. He's the kind of rider that can do well in literally every classic there is and he also proved that he can climb pretty well for a 23y old. Contrary to popular belief I think he'll be better in the Ardennes classics and San Sebastian, Lombardia, ... than in the cobbles classics. Because of that 5th place in Flanders when he was 20 years old a lot of people in Belgium thought he was the next Tom Boonen. I've never believed that taking into account his results in the u23 category where he was impressive in races as Tour de l'Isard. I don't think he'll ever be one of the best riders on cobbles, but I do think he can be world class in the more hilly classics. Which doesn't mean that I don't think he can win Flanders, he can. Roubaix though... I don't think so. That 5th place made him choose the Flemish races over the Ardennes in his first two years. Last year he finally did Amstel and I'm convinced he was one of the best that day. Without bad luck he would've been in that first group. I'm very excited that he's also doing Liège this year.

Oh, he's also a real "flandrien". Just like Wellens, he loves wind and rain. He doesn't have a problem performing in the heat though.

Thanks, this is great. Exactly the kind of info/background I was looking for!

Escarabajo said:
Great performance in Strade.

Also came to add a post. With a performance like that I thought there would be more kudos to him.

Same, I thought that was one of the most gritty and beautiful classic wins I've seen in years. Great to see a new talent emerge, especially a Flemish talent. :)

I would honestly rather win 1 time like Tiesj than 30 times like Kittel or Cav. Chapeau, what an amazing ride - interesting to see what him and Wellens can do in the Ardennes. Those two can potentially be deadly in the right race at the right moment, but it needs to be hard!

Valv.Piti said:
I would honestly rather win 1 time like Tiesj than 30 times like Kittel or Cav. Chapeau, what an amazing ride - interesting to see what him and Wellens can do in the Ardennes. Those two can potentially be deadly in the right race at the right moment, but it needs to be hard!
Depends on what the 30 wins are honestly.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Depends on what the 30 wins are honestly.
Obviously, if we are talking GT stages and Worlds, but a lot of their victories are very forgettable (even the biggest ones).

6th and la maglia bianca today. Impressive for someone who's heavier than the other guys in the top-10.
I had high expectations for this Tirreno and he definitely met them.
He was a bit conservative though yesterday and today. I think he could've even done better if he fully went for it a bit earlier.

Re:

Samamba said:

Nearly three years ago, i compared him to Claude Criquielion in a discussion with my brother. I might not have been too far off back then. He's not a true climber, but he doesn't mess around either. He 's tough as nails, he can do 3 weeks, he can do classics, hilly, cobbles...

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Really screwed over by that TTT. Strong performance nonetheless.

In the end, the TTT didn't matter that much for Benoot. He would've been second, but only because Yates and Thomas had some bad luck.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
That will be fun to watch the ardennes classics with wellens and benoot. Hope they can prevent another boring Valverde sprint win on FW/LBL

Don't think Benoot is riding FW.
I think his programma is E3, Dwars door Vlaanderen, RVV, Amstel, Liège, Dauphiné, NC, Tour.

Re: Re:

Samamba said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

In the end, the TTT didn't matter that much for Benoot. He would've been second, but only because Yates and Thomas had some bad luck.

Second would have been fantastic. Seems to be on some tremendous form right now, wonder if he's come on too early for some of the later classics.

red_flanders said:
Samamba said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Second would have been fantastic. Seems to be on some tremendous form right now, wonder if he's come on too early for some of the later classics.
I think (hope) that he's just coming into its own, he's not a full time pro cyclist, he is completing his master degree in economics while riding. I wonder what he's going to do when he will be able to live the life of a pro cyclist at 100%

ColonelKidneyBeans said:
red_flanders said:
Samamba said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I think (hope) that he's just coming into its own, he's not a full time pro cyclist, he is completing his master degree in economics while riding. I wonder what he's going to do when he will be able to live the life of a pro cyclist at 100%

Had no idea, that's pretty impressive!

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Eli said:
Fifth at E3. This Lad is talented. I'd be surprised If He does not have both PR and RVV on his palmares in 3-4 years time.
Not sure if PR is in the cards for him. He's fairly lean... but the way he's been climbing, other classics might just be more up his alley.

He is around 71kg. GvA was about 73/74kg when He won it last year. He just needs a bit of experience and maybe bulk up a little bit methinks. He clearly has the engine to do very well in this race.

TRENDING THREADS