• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Time for an aussie team

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Come on surely the government would sponsor the team. We already have a budget defecit of $57 billion whats 25 million a year on top of that. Shat all:)
And our prime minister Kevin 'fair shake of the sauce bottle mate' Rudd could be DS.:D

Note: To non-australians when the Prime minister was asked why there werent more women on his front bench in the government his reply was 'Fair shake of the sauce bottle mate"

Team utes could be supplied by one of his 'mates'.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
PACONi said:
I'll pay the Coopers Pale Ale, forgot about them. Not a fan of the Sparkling or heavier beers though. Winter = Red wines in my house.
Little Creatures (love the Pilsner) and James Squire, I consider to be closer to a micro, than say a CUB or Lion Nathan set up.

Good point on Lowe. He's been talked up for a while, but doesn't seem to have made any impression at all.

James Squire is part of the Lion Nathan setup. It's just where the Tooheys brewers make beer that they actually like.

I recall before 2008 CVV and Lowe were being mentioned in dispatches as the team leaders. Then it was all CVV and no Lowe. Vaughters said some encouraging things about him for the mtn stages, but Millar lasted longer in the hills than Lowe did. He was absolute pack fodder. That kind of talent doesn't just disappear, so I wonder what the real story is.

Other questions about talent that vanished:

Sutton?
Walker - I know why he had a bad last year - but what happened this year?

Also wondering about Luke Roberts and the Cookie monster. Seems along time in between drinks for those boys. What happened?

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
James Squire is part of the Lion Nathan setup. It's just where the Tooheys brewers make beer that they actually like.

I recall before 2008 CVV and Lowe were being mentioned in dispatches as the team leaders. Then it was all CVV and no Lowe. Vaughters said some encouraging things about him for the mtn stages, but Millar lasted longer in the hills than Lowe did. He was absolute pack fodder. That kind of talent doesn't just disappear, so I wonder what the real story is.

Other questions about talent that vanished:

Sutton?
Walker - I know why he had a bad last year - but what happened this year?

Also wondering about Luke Roberts and the Cookie monster. Seems along time in between drinks for those boys. What happened?

Walker is at Fuji iirc. They've done stuff all this year that I can think of, so that might explain why we don't hear of him. Always came across as an arrogant little ***. Mind you he won the Aust champ's as a junior, so at least he had some cause. I met his dad once through work. He claimed that it wasn't possible to dope anymore. That might've been before Puerto, so make of that what you will.

Looked up Luke Roberts on the CA website (http://www.cycling.org.au/?Page=8867) his best result this year is 10th in stage 7 of a race I've never heard of. He's 30 now, so maybe his form has dropped away with age.

Aussie to American translation please

El Imbatido said:
Note: To non-australians when the Prime minister was asked why there werent more women on his front bench in the government his reply was 'Fair shake of the sauce bottle mate"

I know that's written in English but I haven't the slightest idea what that means :confused:

A

Anonymous

brodeal said:
team name: Crikey
sponsor: Outback steakhouse
director sportif. Paul hogan
podium girl: Nicole kidman
team spokeman: Kirk lazarus
team car: Subaru outback
official recovery drink: Fosters beer
motivational tool: Anyone who fails to win is strapped to a chair and forced to watch the movie australia.

Hilarious!

A

Anonymous

I say let 'em have their own team and let 'em race in Europe. The sheep in the US will feel much safer.

A

Anonymous

Marmot said:
I think you might be confusing Australians with New Zealanders.

We're all children of the Brits, so I guess we can thank them for our Ovis aries fetish. Understandable though, I haven't seen many Brits I would poke either......I guess we all must have some sheep in us.........

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Fair shake of the sauce bottle....Every language and region has their own sayings that baffle the rest of even those who speak the same language. In australian there are many. Fair crack of the whip, fair suck of the sav, fair go...mean the same thing. Fair shake of the sauce bottle is supposed to mean the same thing, but I haven't yet met an australian who'd heard it before...our PM really is a geek and he said it 3 times in the one interview trying to prove he is just one of the guys.
Seriously any sponsor of an australian team would have to be trying to sell overseas, aussies don't watch cycling. So it would have to be trying to sell an aussie image overseas, not necessarily an australian company. Qantas not a bad pick. My pick of fosters would fail for image reasons (and it tastes ****e). vegemite would do ok until foreigners tasted the stuff.
For reference governments have shown an interest in kicking in, and a tourism agency from queensland of some description has also expressed an interest. Though that was after cadel's first 2nd place, don't know what happened last year I was OS. Anyone have any updates?

Speaking of Australia, sheep and the favourite topic on this forum, drugs, I just saw this in The Age...

Opium-eating wallabies get high, make crop circles

June 25, 2009 - 3:34PM

Wallabies are getting "as high as a kite" on opium in Australian poppy fields and flattening crops as they hop round in circles, according to a report.

The marsupials, which look like small kangaroos, have been getting into medical opium crops in the southern island state of Tasmania and chewing on the plant's intoxicating heads, state officials said.

"We have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles," state attorney-general Lara Giddings told a parliamentary estimates hearing.

"Then they crash. We see crop circles in the poppy industry from wallabies that are high," local media reported Ms Giddings as saying.

Tasmania is the world's largest producer of legally-grown opium for the pharmaceutical market, with about 500 farms supplying approximately 50 percent of the raw material for morphine and other opiate drugs.

Livestock and other animals, such as deer and sheep, which eat the plants had also been seen acting "weird," industry spokesman Rick Rockliff said.

"There have been many stories about sheep that have eaten some of the poppies after harvesting and they all walk around in circles," he said.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I know, but everything I put in the list is "australian" in the eyes of americans. I don't even think the narrator of the Outback Steakhouse TV commercials is australian. His accent sounds a bit fake. I also have my doubts about their menu. Are bloomin onions really an australian delicacy. :D Maybe we need a reall aussie to eat at one of four or five Outback Steakhouses that are in Australia and give a review. That would be a riot.

LMAO - Bloomin onions are not a delicacy I know of... I imagine it would be like one big onion ring? I was in the US in february and commented to my friend that there were all these outback steak houses every where. She asked me didn't I have them at home I said I only knew of one in the whole of Sydney!

Bundaberg Rum....for a sponsor...it is Australian owned, made from sugar cane and could kill a brown dog on a chain. I so could see the Bundy Bear (this 7 foot big white hairy thing) on a bike in the ads on tv.:)

Maybe Team Qantas could be the US based development squad/tourism generating tool. Our tourism campaign stars could be put to good use...Paul Hogan calling the shots with Lara Bingle on the podium.

Seriously though, 2013 is the year. Money is there, a sponsors or two are in, some equipment is just around the corner. Better to destroy the Poms in London in 2012 before making the big announcements though, hence 2013. Aussie Gold then Aussie ProTour onslaught...can't wait.

On T-Lowe, he's been sick this year. Still plenty young though, 2013 should be about when he's coming into his Grand Tour prime. With the Meyer's, Lloyd, Bobridge etc all on board it should be fun.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What about Rory Sutherland and Matt Hayman, bring Karl Menzies in to run security. To intice sponsors, we can dress them up on a beach and have them ask "where the bloody hell are ya?"

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
gold dust bro. Especially the punishment.

Fosters is a golden joke to all australians, and I shan't defend it. However I can't think of an australian product sold more widely overseas, even if it is an embarassment.

Yep.... I dont know one Aussie that actually drinks fosters... its brewed for the rest of the world

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Interesting to see some of the names being kicked around for a possible all australian TDF team. You seem to have overlooked one young Tasmanian currently riding for Saxo Bank. Matt Goss will be a name you will see more of in the next couple of years, Bobridge is still too young for grand tours and I doubt Graeme Brown has the ability to survive a three week stage race or Rabobank would have already used him. I think he is better suited to the shorter tours.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
V&K2009 said:
I've said it for years... Kraft Foods(Melbourne based) have loads of money and Hills Hoists (Adelaide based) are as aussie as it gets!!

VEGEMITE HILLS PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM

What else could it be!

Kraft Foods is a U.S.A.company. a true blue ocker mate of mine refuses to touch the stuff,bercause its tainted by the yanks

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Malvern Star will be bike sponsor for sure....by 2010+ they will have Pro Tour level frames ready and they have the budget (Pac Brands).......Qantas, Tourism Australia, One of the big export winemakers could all make a case for some return on sponsorship investment.

I know its been talked about since the 80's, but i think there is a fair chance we will see something in 3-4 years time.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
PACONi said:
Besides Cascade/Boags we don't make a decent mass produced beer. If you want quality local beer you really need to go the micro-brewery option imo.

So if Boags sponsored a squad, what would the slogan be?

You could have a mysterious shadow riding behind an Astana rider with the slogan 'Who is Cadel Evans'.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
Interesting to see some of the names being kicked around for a possible all australian TDF team. You seem to have overlooked one young Tasmanian currently riding for Saxo Bank. Matt Goss will be a name you will see more of in the next couple of years, Bobridge is still too young for grand tours and I doubt Graeme Brown has the ability to survive a three week stage race or Rabobank would have already used him. I think he is better suited to the shorter tours.

He has ridden the vuelta before (im pretty certain, maybe the giro too?) Just don't think they would ever bring him to the tour, not good enough.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Few loose ends to be cleaned up.
Luke Roberts season was going ok, till he crashed on a training ride and fractured his hip (it was on cn a little while back)

matt goss won't be riding the tour for saxo, as hes not suited to draging the schlecks over the alpes, and they don't need any more strong flat riders at the moment-cancellara, voigt, o'grady.

In regards to aussie pro tour team. my understading is that there is a consortium trying to build up a team over the next few years. At the moment it is a development squad based in melbourne, and in is meant to be growing over the next few years, ie savings&loans level next year etc.

quantas would be a good sponsor, but i think most of the dollars will be coming from tourism operators.