• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Time for an aussie team

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ambrose said:
Few loose ends to be cleaned up.
In regards to aussie pro tour team. my understading is that there is a consortium trying to build up a team over the next few years. At the moment it is a development squad based in melbourne, and in is meant to be growing over the next few years, ie savings&loans level next year etc.

yep, its called "Australian Road Cycling" and looks pretty amateurish at this point however we will see how it goes in time.......2XU, Singapore Airlines, Malvern Star and Knog are sponsors among others. They have started a Junior Development squad, the intention is this will be a feeder for a future Pro Team.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Team name: Crikey
Sponsor: Outback Steakhouse
Director Sportif. Paul Hogan
Podium Girl: Nicole Kidman
Team spokeman: Kirk Lazarus
Team car: Subaru Outback
Official recovery drink: Fosters beer
Motivational tool: Anyone who fails to win is strapped to a chair and forced to watch the movie Australia.

Yawn!! I guess it may sound funny to outsiders but this is just full of cliches straight out of the aussie book of cliches. Next!!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Just to add, the only corporate sponsors who would be interested are those who have global interests or are looking to expand into Europe. One of the larger Wineries (Wolf Blass, Hardy's) is a possibility although who knows who owns these companies these days. Most of our major national icons already foreign owned. Perhaps the Australian tourism board wants to chip in for the honour, or cosponsor with Qantas. That sponsorship would make sense.

As for bikes, Teschner would be an obvious choice but I'll also add Inexa and Baum as the latter especially are beautiful bikes.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I remember some clown in Queensland last year hyping things up to create an Aussie team.

he had no one fooled, he was just cashing in on publicity and riding off the back of Cadels success.

Doubt Qantas would want to sponsor another Australian sport. Sponsorship will probably be a bit tougher over the next few years with expanded AFL/A-League/NRL and 2010WC and WC bid. But yeh I guess it's a bit difference because the sponsorship would be directed entirely at a foreign market on a ProTour team.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
DSs - Allan Peiper and Scott Sunderland
If we are really wanting to crack the US market and clean up the company image at the same time - James Hardie - green points for sponsoring a cycling team. And it is not the first building products company to sponsor a team - Mapei and Quickstep are good examples. Locally, there was caravello

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Garry Allen said:
If we are really wanting to crack the US market and clean up the company image at the same time - James Hardie - green points for sponsoring a cycling team.

Yeah, but unlike Astana I can't see the team having a rich enough rider to step in and save the day when the sponsor fails to pay up. Given James Hardie's efforts on actually paying settlement monies to asbestos victims, it's a likely situation!

Cheers
Greg Johnson

A

Anonymous

unsheath said:
Just to add, the only corporate sponsors who would be interested are those who have global interests or are looking to expand into Europe.

Marketing is the excuse used to spend money on pro cycling, but what you actually need is a company with a cycling tragic on the board, preferably at owner/CEO level.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
gold dust bro. Especially the punishment.

Fosters is a golden joke to all australians, and I shan't defend it. However I can't think of an australian product sold more widely overseas, even if it is an embarassment.

Kinda like Coors in Colorado.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Corrigan sold out of Patricks. Don't know of others.
Maybe we could get a couple of state premiers to invest. nathan rees - former parramatta A grader, and according to the current "Australian Cyclist", the premier of Tasmania also loves cycling. And SA has poured a lot of money into the Tour Down Under.