Time Landa Will Lose To Nibali In The FIrst Two ITTs

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How much time will Landa lose to Nibali in the first two ITTs of this year's Giro d'Italia?

  • He will gain time

    Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Less than 30''

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 30'' and 1'

    Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Between 1' and 1'30''

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Between 1'30'' and 2'

    Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Between 2' and 2'30''

    Votes: 23 27.7%
  • Between 2'30'' and 3'

    Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Between 3' and 3'30''

    Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Between 3'30'' and 4'

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • More than 4'

    Votes: 4 4.8%

  • Total voters
    83
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
jens_attacks said:
Lol taxus 6 minutes.

2:23 is my prediction.
I didnt say that, man... Read my 2 post again. I voted 3-3-30 with the 2 ITT. But always if Nibali is the reference becouse he is in a big shape.

Landa lost 6:40 with Uran just 2 years ago in this ITT:



That landa was able to climb at a similar level than now and he did several times before: Neila, Bondone, San Sebastian , Indurain,...

Now Landa is a better rider year by year and now he has worked more especifically in the ITT, but to past from 6:40 to 1:30 as some people said in one ITT like that is too much optimistic.

He did well the last 2 ITT of basque country, but thet were really hilly...and last year ITT is a good reference...but he lost 4 minutes, and he had Contador as reference. He can improve, but not miracles.

Could he put more than minutes to everybody in the mountains... I said yes, it is posiblel, depends the circunstances is possible, But he is not good in the ITT, although he is quite obsesed to improve his ITT skills.
You imply that he went full gas on the Barolo time trial, which I certainly doubt because he had no incentive to do that. After all he's no time trialer and being 36th in the GC, 25 minutes adrift of the first and 23 minutes away from the top-10, I certainly think that he saved himself somehow.
 
Re: Re:

Ricco' said:
You imply that he went full gas on the Barolo time trial, which I certainly doubt because he had no incentive to do that. After all he's no time trialer and being 36th in the GC, 25 minutes adrift of the first and 23 minutes away from the top-10, I certainly think that he saved himself somehow.
I agree with this, how many riders actually go full gas in an iTT that's in the middle of a GT? Perhaps the top 20 in the GC and the handful of specialists who have a chance to win? Any rider who has ambition of a stage win, whether it's a sprinter or someone who targets a latter mountain/breakaway stage won't be giving anywhere near their all.

Back to Landa, I'd say if he wants a serious chance of winning the Giro he needs to keep losses to less than 2 minutes.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
No clue how good Nibali is atm in an ITT.

He has 2 done serious ITT in the last 3 years. Tour 2014 and he already won that race and then the long one in the giro 2013 where he performed really well but i'm not sure he'll get that level again.

Oh yea there was the vuelta one, i don't remember how he did there
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re:

Miburo said:
No clue how good Nibali is atm in an ITT.

He has 2 done serious ITT in the last 3 years. Tour 2014 and he already won that race and then the long one in the giro 2013 where he performed really well but i'm not sure he'll get that level again.

Oh yea there was the vuelta one, i don't remember how he did there
Good, he finished 4th, 27sec faster than Valverde (whos always great in a hilly ITT) and about 1'30" faster than Horner. That was the famous Pozzovivo monster ITT, he finished 3rd, but only one second ahead of Nibali.
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vuelta_a_Espana_2013_Stage_11_Tarazona
 
Re: Re:

Ricco' said:
Taxus4a said:
jens_attacks said:
Lol taxus 6 minutes.

2:23 is my prediction.
I didnt say that, man... Read my 2 post again. I voted 3-3-30 with the 2 ITT. But always if Nibali is the reference becouse he is in a big shape.

Landa lost 6:40 with Uran just 2 years ago in this ITT:



That landa was able to climb at a similar level than now and he did several times before: Neila, Bondone, San Sebastian , Indurain,...

Now Landa is a better rider year by year and now he has worked more especifically in the ITT, but to past from 6:40 to 1:30 as some people said in one ITT like that is too much optimistic.

He did well the last 2 ITT of basque country, but thet were really hilly...and last year ITT is a good reference...but he lost 4 minutes, and he had Contador as reference. He can improve, but not miracles.

Could he put more than minutes to everybody in the mountains... I said yes, it is posiblel, depends the circunstances is possible, But he is not good in the ITT, although he is quite obsesed to improve his ITT skills.
You imply that he went full gas on the Barolo time trial, which I certainly doubt because he had no incentive to do that. After all he's no time trialer and being 36th in the GC, 25 minutes adrift of the first and 23 minutes away from the top-10, I certainly think that he saved himself somehow.
I didnt say that,I said that now is a different motivation, but Landa level was similar in all the races, not just that one, and he went always at his best, maybe with not the same motivation, but trying to do it well. and of course Landa in Barolo tried to do it well.

if Landa lose 4 minutes with Nibali (or the reference in GC, maybe Uranor another) among both 2 ITT it will be a good improvement and a very good signal for him, and he could be happy with lot of options to win the Giro.
 
Re:

Miburo said:
No clue how good Nibali is atm in an ITT.

He has 2 done serious ITT in the last 3 years. Tour 2014 and he already won that race and then the long one in the giro 2013 where he performed really well but i'm not sure he'll get that level again.

Oh yea there was the vuelta one, i don't remember how he did there
Vuelta, 4th with the face swollen by a wasp sting, no cortisone policy, Astana still in MPCC.
 
Nibali can performe very well in a technical ITT.
Of course he is going to be at his best this Giro.
He won Oman easily and training and he was to get Tirreno.
I dont know if he will be the best one, but he will be at his best level of his Giro and Tour.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
I think Nibali is going to do strong TTs as usual but there are some doubts now over whether he will be near his peak. (and, increasingly, whether his 2014 peak was a one time thing, never to be repeated, like Contador's 2009)

Landa's TT is harder to forecast. It all depends on how he responded when Kerrison et al imbued him with the dark arts of time trialling.

At the end of the day, the numerator of the quantities determining time trial and climbing ability is the same. We'll see.
 
Re:

Mr.White said:
If Landa loses 4min to Nibali in both flat ITT's, he can forget about winning the Giro
We dont think the same way, but I dont want landa winning the Giro, I want a good Giro, and Landa doing unforgetteables things.

Last year he woiuld have won the Giro if Astana would have used an strategy using Aru properly.

This year is not the same, Astana has a very strong team, and Landa has a good team, but it is difficult to think Nieve or Roche will be close to a podium level to play his card...but.. he can use them in breaks or in other way...

If there is a man who can win the Giro getiing the last 5 days with 5 minutes lost, he is Landa. He must be inspired mentally and phishycally.

That is not easy, becouse he has never been a leader in a World Tour race, and Trentino is not the same pressure than Giro, but anyway he was the leader and he won... so I dont know what to say, but Landa is that kind of rider that is excepcional when nobody wait for him and he is quite diapointing when people expect big things.

Anyway as far as I know SKY is managing him very well. He is without pressure and he do what he wants in the races...
 
Pantani get the first mountains stage in le Tour with 10 minutes lost, and I said he would won that Tour. There was just a hard stage.

I dont want to talk now about that era...but in facts that way is possible to compare.

(For Landa is better an ITT of 60 Km (if no totally flat) than two of 10 and 40.)
 
How great would it be if Landa tries one long range attack after the other after loosing 4 minutes in the time trials. This giro has so crazily much potential and the scenario in which it would become one of the best gt's of the last decade isnt even that far fetched :D .
I know some people are annoyed by this extremely improbable predictions but IMO thats one of the best things about a gt. The whole speculation what might happen causes most of my anticipation for these races.
 
Jun 18, 2015
774
1
0
Between 2 and 3 minutes. The more the better for race excitement really, as I am convinced he will regain that time in the mountains.
 
May 26, 2015
538
0
0
Re:

blackmamba said:
People who think Landa will loose 45-50 sec in the 9km TT is gonne get surprised. Hell loose at top 30 sec and thats the max.
Precisely as predicted, some of you guys make as little sense as usual :p
 
May 26, 2015
538
0
0
Re:

Taxus4a said:
I think best Nibali can put on Landa about 3 and 4 minutes in the 2 first ITT.

Landa can lose about 50 seconds (with Nibali, with dumoulin more) in the first one,
I wonder do you still get surprised everytime you say something when it turns out to be completely nonsense? :rolleyes:
 
Re: Re:

blackmamba said:
Taxus4a said:
I think best Nibali can put on Landa about 3 and 4 minutes in the 2 first ITT.

Landa can lose about 50 seconds (with Nibali, with dumoulin more) in the first one,
I wonder do you still get surprised everytime you say something when it turns out to be completely nonsense? :rolleyes:
I am happy about Landa performance, and he is happy as well. To say he can lose it is not to say he is going to lose. I have of course the hope he improve in ITT, and I said once he has an important margin, that he is no so different to Quintana, although till now Quintana has been clearly stronger in ITT. Anyway it is 40 seconds in less than 9.8 Km with tailwind, and he took some risk, at least what I saw at the begining.

I expected more from Nibali today, he was 19th and I expected top ten...with him it was just 21 seconds... it is the best ITT of Landa so far by far, considering is totally flat.

For the race is not good.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY