• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tinkov - no doping exists in cycling

Moose McKnuckles said:
Can't even make this stuff up. I guess Santambrogio and DiLuca must have been framed.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov-claims-that-doping-in-cycling-is-over

We need him to head up Sky ZTP committee.

"But before that, I don't care what they talk about. They're all talking. Don't forget that all of those guys, they want to sell their books. All of those riders who are writing now, they want to sell the books. They want you journalists to write about that, and stupid people to go and buy those books. They're making money and you're helping them make money

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
"They're all talking. Don't forget that all of those guys, they want to sell their books. All of those riders who are writing now, they want to sell the books. They want you journalists to write about that, and stupid people to go and buy those books. They're making money and you're helping them make money"

Based on this quote, I'm at a loss as to why Oleg is seen as "The Evil Necromancer of Cycling".

He's not saying anything any other team has said before. In fact, it's a perfect mix of Garmin and Sky PR. Hell, he's even talking about a ZTP.

Mind you, Walsh isn't going to like the above quote very much...

Tinkov is not that naive. During the Tour he was insinuating doping with Froome and comparing him to Armstrong.

They all say its clean now. Ive seen hundreds of these comments in the last few years from riders, managers, commentators, journos etc.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Never have liked Tinkov, but he sure gives funny interviews sometimes. I especially like this part.

"F*ck your doping questions, I don't care about doping"
Translation: "2014 we see the Contador of old return."
Froome won't know what hit him. :D

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Never have liked Tinkov, but he sure gives funny interviews sometimes. I especially like this part.

Translation: "2014 we see the Contador of old return."
Froome won't know what hit him. :D

Not sure about that, actually. Post ban Contador hasn't dialled it all the way back up from anything we've seen so far, and he's none too fond of Tinkov - is he going to risk a life ban for an owner he doesn't like? Possibly, but not certain.

martinvickers said:
Not sure about that, actually. Post ban Contador hasn't dialled it all the way back up from anything we've seen so far, and he's none too fond of Tinkov - is he going to risk a life ban for an owner he doesn't like? Possibly, but not certain.

Waiting for the disclosure of an ASO presentation from Tinkov's team regarding the 2014 TdF. It needs to be bigger than the Sky presentation, that's for sure!

Tinkov has no ethical problem getting on the podium roadmap by buying a WT race and TdF stage start/finish. He needs a local council to launder the payment though! :D

And THEN we'll see the return of turbo-charged Contador.

the question was approximately "Do you think it's a good business decision to sponsor a team with all the doping controversy?" So I think Tinkov's answer was from a business perspective, i.e. providing plausible deniability should his riders later get caught. He's not so clueless as to believe what he's saying.

But I also think it's pretty clear he could give two ****s about the rules and he is, generally speaking, a toxic influence on the sport. But then again, moneyed interests never are a good thing for sport.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
proffate said:
the question was approximately "Do you think it's a good business decision to sponsor a team with all the doping controversy?" So I think Tinkov's answer was from a business perspective, i.e. providing plausible deniability should his riders later get caught. He's not so clueless as to believe what he's saying.

But I also think it's pretty clear he could give two ****s about the rules and he is, generally speaking, a toxic influence on the sport. But then again, moneyed interests never are a good thing for sport.

I certainly agree, but my issue is that cycling (us fans included) has allowed slightly less loud-mouthed (but no less 'evil') influences in cycling for decades.

Cycling is full of toxic people that are way more deeply entrenched in the sport than Oleg, and have a lot more influence on riders. Riis is still running the team, and I wouldn't trust that cheater further than I could throw him...

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
proffate said:

True. He sounds like the kinda guy that would do whatever it takes to win.

At least we will get a nice freakshow next year. Hopefully he will sign Horners.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm just glad that someone with the integrity and reputation of Tinkov finally gave us a stopping point we can believe in. I'm betting he finally discovered the secret that Sky is using, and that next year, we will see more real, credible cycling.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
burning said:
I think he implies that Contador is going to beat his 2007 wattages, I'm really excited :p

I hope that's the case because I relish reading the accusations of the island dwellers when their imported winner gets beat at his own game.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I hope that's the case because I relish reading the accusations of the island dwellers when their imported winner gets beat at his own game.

I really want to see Contador beat Froome and Tinkov to become a master troll and say its normal for clean riders to do 6.6w/kg on Hautacam.

One can hope..

Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov

Dear Chris Froome, You have got to start be worry. If I were you I would go extra hour riding tomorrow :) #TinkoffSaxo is coming big time