• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno - Adriatico Stage 7: San Benedetto del Tronto: 9,2 kms ITT

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Has Nibali this win already locked up?

• No, the skyborg will rise again and catch purito and contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
del1962 said:
In 2008 TDF Timetrial Stage 20 - Froome was nearly 2 1/2 minutes ahead of Nibali, and on the Alp D'Huez stage Froome was over 6 minutes ahead of Nibali (and no Froome was not in a break)

it's a shame CQ doesn't give some1 the whole picture isn't it?

nibali was 23 in 2008 and was doing a giro-tour double, he finished 11st at the giro while working for pelizotti and had some good performances in the mountains there like for example on the monte pora stage and in the tour he still finished inside top 20 while once again not being a team leader having to work for beltran who was kicked out of the race and pozzato.

ofc he was fading towards the end but it seems only normal.

now can you please remind me where froome finished on the 08 tour GC wise? And how far ahead of nibali did he finish all the other mountain stages? And the other time trial of the race?

del1962 said:
In 2008 TDF Timetrial Stage 20 - Froome was nearly 2 1/2 minutes ahead of Nibali, and on the Alp D'Huez stage Froome was over 6 minutes ahead of Nibali (and no Froome was not in a break)

Froome was enjoying the atmosphere of autobus in many stages and you seem to ignore these days.

That's a nice way to support your ideas man, I like it

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
so you only saw a picture of the wc u23 itt, in which he crashed :eek: your lack of cycling knowledge is baffling anyway, but just keep it for the clinic, you will feel at home there with all the other idiots that have never rode a bike.

I know it must feel painful to see your belgian heroes and contador suck as much as they do now.

Lol, did you even watch Paris-Nice? I'm more than happy with the form of a certain rider. ;)

Anyway, Froome was an extremely mediocre cyclist in just about everything before 2011. Even in the U23 ranks he didn't stand out.

Besides, Contador is third in T-A, not that I cared much for his results here. Still better than everything your Colombians will achieve this season. So I'll take it as a compliment to Contador if you think he sucks when he podiums T-A.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:

Nibali was known as a really talented cyclist right from the bat. I still remember GP de Plouay and the Eneco Tour of 2006. He was 21 years old back then.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Lol, did you even watch Paris-Nice?

Anyway, Froome was an extremely mediocre cyclist in just about everything before 2011. Even in the U23 ranks he didn't stand out.

Besides, Contador is third in T-A, not that I cared much for his results here. Still better than everything your Colombians will achieve this season. So I'll take it as a compliment to Contador if you think he sucks when he podiums T-A.

Come on, it's getting pretty ridiculous now. At first when he rode that incredible Vuelta almost noone saw it coming, including me, but I'm getting less and less sceptical about his improvement and talent.

Looking at his U23 results and his lack of good support there(both in his team and in his training), before going pro with Barloworld meant he always had lots of room for improvement. I think he can get even stronger than his current level.

The Bilharzia held him back and his talent only showed at age 26, but what's the difference with someone like De Gendt suddenly riding to 4th on Alpe d'Huez or Peter Velits ending 2nd in a Vuelta? They too showed some talent, but they hadn't shown anything to the extent you'd really expect those performances.

Nothing is impossible these days, it's the conservative power in cyling fans that opposes sudden rising stars such as Froome.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Come on, it's getting pretty ridiculous now. At first when he rode that oncredible Vuelta almost noone saw it coming, including me, but I'm getting less and less sceptical about his improvement and talent.

Looking at his U23 results and his lack of good support there(both in his team and in his training), before going pro with Barloworld meant he always had lots of room for improvement. I think he can get even stronger than his current level.

The Bilharzia held him back and his talent only showed at age 26, but what's the difference with someone like De Gendt suddenly riding to 4th on Alpe d'Huez or Peter Velits ending 2nd in a Vuelta? They too showed some talent, but they weren't exactly top GC riders/climbers before those performances.

De Gendt isn't winning races from left and right now is he? Besides, this is only his third year in a WT team.

His U23 results aren't good what so ever, I've seen better U23 riders struggle to get a pro contract. The bilharzia held him back? How exactly? He was a mediocre domestique before he got the disease and only started performing well when he actually had it. So no, he didn't get held back.

As for Peter Velits, he was third in a very weak field. He got 6 minutes during a time trial on Rodriguez or something. :eek:

It's not breaking through at age 27 I find surprising, but showing absolutely nothing before that age that is very strange. He could've at least won a 1.1 race or something. :eek:

Pentacycle said:
The Bilharzia held him back and his talent only showed at age 26, but what's the difference with someone like De Gendt suddenly riding to 4th on Alpe d'Huez or Peter Velits ending 2nd in a Vuelta? They too showed some talent, but they hadn't shown anything to the extent you'd really expect those performances.
Are you serious? :rolleyes:

El Pistolero said:
Nibali was known as a really talented cyclist right from the bat. I still remember GP de Plouay and the Eneco Tour of 2006. He was 21 years old back then.

Yes, and Froome didn't get to ride in Europe till much later, had he grown up in say one of cyclings major european he would have probably have shown his potential much earlier. But he grew up in a cycling backwater. (EDIT : though he would never had the advantage of growing up at altitude)

El Pistolero said:
Lol, did you even watch Paris-Nice? I'm more than happy with the form of a certain rider. ;)
I guess you mean Gilbert... who wasn't impressive at all in Paris-Nice.

del1962 said:
Yes, and Froome didn't get to ride in Europe till much later, had he grown up in say one of cyclings major european he would have probably have shown his potential much earlier. But he grew up in a cycling backwater. (EDIT : though he would never had the advantage of growing up at altitude)
But he had been a pro for 4 years before suddenly, in one season, he made the jump from mediocre rider who was almost let go by his team, to super climber and time trialist outperforming his team leader.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

why do you always turn this into a colombian thing. do you honestly think that hurts me? :eek:

and you mean gilbert? seriously? Even the belgian announcers didn't dare to defend how badly he rode there. also he looks again 6 kg overweight

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I guess you mean Gilbert... who wasn't impressive at all in Paris-Nice.

Compare his P-N with that of 2009 and 2010. ;)

He'll be ready, whether you like it or not. :cool:

Also was a domestique for most of the week(something some people say he was incapable of), sometimes you need to look at more than just results. Anyway, nearly won a sprint from 300 meters out, not many people that can do that.

del1962 said:

so don't you have any counter argument for me? i mean you seemed to sure that froome beating nibali on those 2 stages was such a great demonstration of his talent, or at leats his superior talent compared to nibali :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Come on, it's getting pretty ridiculous now. At first when he rode that incredible Vuelta almost noone saw it coming, including me, but I'm getting less and less sceptical about his improvement and talent.

Nothing is impossible these days, it's the conservative power in cyling fans that opposes sudden rising stars such as Froome.

the only difference is, is he's belgian and thus el calimero defends him and thinsk he's normal and clean

El Pistolero said:

Also was a domestique for most of the week(something some people say he was incapable of), sometimes you need to look at more than just results. Anyway, nearly won a sprint from 300 meters out, not many people that can do that.
He didn't nearly win that sprint. I thought he looked quite unimpressive on the climbs, I'm not that convinced. I'm curious if he can handle Sagan.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

the p-n fieldfs in 2009 and 2010 were so much better and the course was much harder.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
why do you always turn this into a colombian thing. do you honestly think that hurts me? :eek:

and you mean gilbert? seriously? Even the belgian announcers didn't dare to defend how badly he rode there. also he looks again 6 kg overweight

Funny, considering you tried playing the Belgian card just 5 minutes ago even though that wasn't the topic. And yes, it bothers you a lot when Colombian cyclists fail.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
He didn't nearly win that sprint. I thought he looked quite unimpressive on the climbs, I'm not that convinced. I'm curious if he can handle Sagan.

For Milan-San Remo? No.

For the Ardennes classics? Sure, Sagan ain't even riding them.

He's 3kg overweight, as he always is at this time of the year. He looked more than good on all the stages, just ask Tejay on twitter what he thinks of Gilbert's work for him this week. ;)

I'd be more concerned about other riders if I were you, Phil should be the least of your concern right now.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
For Milan-San Remo? No.

For the Ardennes classics? Sure, Sagan ain't even riding them.

He's 3kg overweight, as he always is at this time of the year. He looked more than good on all the stages, just ask Tejay on twitter what he thinks of Gilbert's work for him this week. ;)

I'd be more concerned about other riders if I were you, Phil should be the least of your concern right now.

Valverde will be in his way ;)

Besides this gilbert is not even close to the gilbert of 2011 who won that great stage in T-A. He'll be ready but not at 2011 level, doesn't mean he can't win though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Valverde will be in his way ;)

Besides this gilbert is not even close to the gilbert of 2011 who won that great stage in T-A. He'll be ready but not at 2011 level, doesn't mean he can't win though.

He wasn't really that great in 2011 in this part of the season.

He won a stage in Algarve, which is no big deal and he also won Strade Bianche(only narrowly) which he didn't ride this year.

Brabantse Pijl is when Phil 2011 became really impressive.

Valverde, nah he's the least of my worries of being in someone's way. I'm more concerned about the Astana team. :eek:

El Pistolero said:

You mean the sprint where he got beaten by the incredibly fast Sylvain chavanel? ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bushman said:
You mean the sprint where he got beaten by the incredibly fast Sylvain chavanel? ;)

Underestimate Chavanel at your own peril. :cool:

Phil was faster than Chava, just had to sprint from too far out. No shame in losing to Chava anyway, one of the better classic riders of the moment.

TRENDING THREADS