• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno - Adriatico Stage 7: San Benedetto del Tronto: 9,2 kms ITT

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Has Nibali this win already locked up?

• No, the skyborg will rise again and catch purito and contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He wasn't really that great in 2011 in this part of the season.

He won a stage in Algarve, which is no big deal and he also won Strade Bianche(only narrowly) which he didn't ride this year.

Brabantse Pijl is when Phil 2011 became really impressive.

Valverde, nah he's the least of my worries of being in someone's way. I'm more concerned about the Astana team. :eek:

That stage win in T-A was just stunning. I don't see this gilbert doing it.

El Pistolero said:
He won a stage in Algarve, which is no big deal and he also won Strade Bianche(only narrowly) which he didn't ride this year.

And a 240km long medium mountain stage in T/A and a top-10 spot in the final GC.
In 2011 Gilbert was wáy better than he is now (or than he ever will be again, I think). I consider Gilbert to be on his 2009 level.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
That stage win in T-A was just stunning. I don't see this gilbert doing it.

Meh, he was getting beaten on all other stages. It was a stunning stage, but narrowly outsprinting Wout Poels isn't a super amazing achievement or something.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
rghysens said:
And a 240km long medium mountain stage in T/A and a top-10 spot in the final GC.
In 2011 Gilbert was wáy better than he is now (or than he ever will be again, I think). I consider Gilbert to be on his 2009 level.

Gilbert had to abadon Paris-Nice in 2009 because he was bad.

Ryo Hazuki said:
whiper behind their backs? lol. I often go there to have a good laugh and throw around my arguments there, besides the clinic is changing rapidly in having the idiots like the hog being exposed for what they are. and for arguments explain to me why sky are still doped and de jongh and julich were fired after signing that contract, you honeslty think they would;'ve signed that contract if they were still doping in sky? :rolleyes: also hilarious to suggest they only dope froome, wiggins, rogers, david lopez(?), cataldo(?) and porte(?), why not henao, uran, knees, cavendish(last year), boasson hagen? your logic(and most of the clinics) who aren't riding super for their doing at all.

hillarious to suggest gobernacion antioquia only doped sevilla and not Henao or any other colombian.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Meh, he was getting beaten on all other stages. It was a stunning stage, but narrowly outsprinting Wout Poels isn't a super amazing achievement or something.

Are you degrading a performance of Gilbert? :eek:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Most of you absolutely don't care about the way Froome came up and its nature. You are hurt by the fact someone dares to beat your rider. Stop lying to yourself. I'm absolutely sure that some childish agression would have been directed at Nibali too, if some fans had realized he is able to beat Contador in the GT easily. But so far they are more or less calm about that. :)

Somehow or other, without wanting to treat Froome the way he deserves it, some fans guarantee a lot of negative emotions for themselves for many сoming years...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Underestimate Chavanel at your own peril. :cool:

Phil was faster than Chava, just had to sprint from too far out. No shame in losing to Chava anyway, one of the better classic riders of the moment.

in a sprint it definitely is. chavanel isn't exactly very fast

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Nibali was known as a really talented cyclist right from the bat. I still remember GP de Plouay and the Eneco Tour of 2006. He was 21 years old back then.

Unfortunately this forum is rapidly become populated with a lot of people who've clearly only watched the sport for 12-18 months, but are suddenly experts.

Context is everything when it comes to judging a rider's "normal" or "abnormal" career progression, and unfortunately if a fan has been following the sport for 12 months, and Froome has been a big hitter for the whole time these certain posters have been watching bike races, they aren't going to be asking where the f*ck he came from.

Anyway getting sidetracked - I too remember Nibali as a big talent even back in his Fassa Bortolo days.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
hillarious to suggest gobernacion antioquia only doped sevilla and not Henao or any other colombian.

gobernacion antioquia didn't dope anyone, sevilla doped himself, why do you think he was the only rider caught at the end of the vuelta? :rolleyes: his itt spoke more than enough, clear proofe of bloodtrasnfusion

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Unfortunately this forum is rapidly become populated with a lot of people who've clearly only watched the sport for 12-18 months, but are suddenly experts.

Context is everything when it comes to judging a rider's "normal" or "abnormal" career progression, and unfortunately if a fan has been following the sport for 12 months, and Froome has been a big hitter for the whole time these certain posters have been watching bike races, they aren't going to be asking where the f*ck he came from.

Anyway getting sidetracked - I too remember Nibali as a big talent even back in his Fassa Bortolo days.

exactly. especially influx of british here. they don't understand anything quite clearly and think they really rule cycling.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Are you degrading a performance of Gilbert? :eek:

only out of pure desperation to defend a completely out of shape gilbert right now. I don't think anyone here will agree with calimero that gilbert looked good in p-n...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, the unbeatable Phil of 2011 started at the Brabantse Pijl. Before that, he won races narrowly.

He won 3, that's pretty good :D He could have won RVV and also MSR.

I doubt this phil will come even close to that.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
He won 3, that's pretty good :D He could have won RVV and also MSR.

I doubt this phil will come even close to that.

More because of Sagan than Phil's own form. ;) And it's not like he ever came close to winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2011. Chava was better than him in that race!

But anyway, he really is ready. If you don't believe me then fine, I'm not worried about his form. Boonen on the other hand... :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Gilbert is a hilly rider. Boonen isn't.

Both was there to gain shape, and both looked bad while doing so.

Phil didn't look bad, was a domestique for most of the week.

Boonen on the other hand dropped out on flat stages as well... Boonen wished he had Phil's shape right now and you know it.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Phil didn't look bad, was a domestique for most of the week.

Boonen on the other hand dropped out on flat stages as well... Boonen wished he had Phil's shape right now and you know it.

Boonen's wishing he had Sagan's shape right now...

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Gilbert is a hilly rider. Boonen isn't.

Both was there to gain shape, and both looked bad while doing so.

Gilbert looked far from great, but remember how pitiful he was last year in the E3 prijs, dropped like an amateur before the race even started. A couple of weeks later he almost won the Gold Race (although the Waalse Pijl and LBL showed he still wasn't 100%^).

Boonen has a lot less time for the classics, although he is lucky that their are barely a couple of great riders who focus on his races.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Gilbert looked far from great, but remember how pitiful he was last year in the E3 prijs, dropped like an amateur before the race even started. A couple of weeks later he almost won the Gold Race (although the Waalse Pijl and LBL showed he still wasn't 100%^).

Boonen has a lot less time for the classics, although he is lucky that their are barely a couple of great riders who focus on his races.

Just some of the best riders in the peloton right now like Sagan, Cancellara, Pozzato, Gilbert(he always does well in the Ronde), Hushovd, Phinney, Boom, etc

That's pretty stiff competition if you ask me. Especially when you're not at 100%.

TRENDING THREADS