• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tmobile - Freiburg

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I searched didn't find a thread highlighting this one so apologies if not appropriate for a new thread.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/freiburg-doctor-pays-fine-to-settle-doping-related-charges

"Admits to having provided five doses of EPO to Telekom/T-Mobile riders

Dr. Andreas Schmid has agreed to pay a fine equal to three months salary in settlement of charges that he violated prescription drug laws. The case stems from the German investigation of the involvement of the Freiburg University Clinic in relation to doping with Team Telekom/T-Mobile.

Schmid “admitted to letting pro cyclists from the former team have five packages of EPO,” his attorney, Ferdinand Gillmeister, told the dpa news agency. The names of the rider or riders involved with the EPO were not made public.

The settlement is not an admission of guilt and Schmid will not have a criminal record."

I find this a curiosity of German law. This was also what Klöden did to make his Freiburg troubles go away

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
timbat said:
I searched didn't find a thread highlighting this one so apologies if not appropriate for a new thread.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/freiburg-doctor-pays-fine-to-settle-doping-related-charges

Dr. Andreas Schmid has agreed to pay a fine equal to three months salary in settlement of charges that he violated prescription drug laws. The case stems from the German investigation of the involvement of the Freiburg University Clinic in relation to doping with Team Telekom/T-Mobile.

Schmid “admitted to letting pro cyclists from the former team have five packages of EPO,” his attorney, Ferdinand Gillmeister, told the dpa news agency. The names of the rider or riders involved with the EPO were not made public.

The settlement is not an admission of guilt and Schmid will not have a criminal record."

I find this a curiosity of German law. This was also what Klöden did to make his Freiburg troubles go away
if i remember rightly this is the germans way of making cases that will probably come to nothing finish early. they can pay and not waste anyones time.. i think

palmerq said:
if i remember rightly this is the germans way of making cases that will probably come to nothing finish early. they can pay and not waste anyones time.. i think

It makes a lot of sense for many cases. The accused does get punished to some degree when he would likely get off scott free in the U.S. Paying a percentage of income certainly makes a lot more sense than fines in the U.S.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
timbat said:

The CN article also noted that the NADA might take over the action à la USADA, but unlike USADA they won't be trying to overcome the SoL, so the NADA will, if anything, only look at the years 2005 and, most likely, 2006. That means Klöden could become the focus of their investigations.
I'm not positive we're gonna here anything from this, though.

The fact that these docs could (like Klöden previously) buy themselves a way out of the accusations is really disappointing considering the Germans pretend to be at the forefront of the fight against doping.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
timbat said:
What I find interesting is there is no disputing, there was EPO. Who were the 5 riders ?

I think Jaksche, Sinkewitz and Klöden were among them (I might be wrong about Jaksche). Dunno who the two others were.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
timbat said:
What I find interesting is there is no disputing, there was EPO. Who were the 5 riders ?

sinkewitz, kloden, kessler, honchar and mazzoleni it's my bet. rogers and guerini were the missing ones.

le:
honchar won the following TT - good TTer but not that good - freiburg
rogers 4'th - but he was the 3 time en-titre tt world champ
sinkewitz 6th - FREIBURG
kloden 8'th - after a season with no racing days - freiburg
kessler 14'th - freiburg all the way
mazzoleni 16'th - he must have been the driver so was a little tired
guerini 34'th - normal result