• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TOC stage 3: San Francisco - Santa Cruz, 182.9 km

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Picture-2.png

looks like a challenging stage. Radioshack will look to help Leipheimer off course, while others will go on the attack.

Hopefully we can all see live coverage after the miserable excuses from Amgen. Coverage shouldnt be limited because of rain, so hopefully a day of sunshine, or at least less rain :p

is Sagan going to get his first stage win at the TOC? or leipheimer? Maybe Garmin wants a win with Tommy D, or Dave Z? Or after Goss' win in the Giro, Mick Rogers is a favorite for tomorrow? Or a breakaway with good descenders?

Lets hope we are going to get live coverage tomorrow!

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This will be a day where a break of a handful of riders no one has heard of, from teams no one cares about, will make a early break, gain four minutes, only to be caught on the final climb by the handful of riders in the ToC that at least we know the names of.

Plus we'll have extensive coverage of LA as he finishes 28th.

This goes over my local training rides, and within a few miles of my house. Tunitas creek is a fairly tough climb, with extended sections over 8-9% on rough road. Maybe it seems harder 'cause I'm invariably hitting it as the last climb of the day. Coming back over 84 is pretty smooth and not too steep, maybe a steady 7% +.

Anyone watch it on Bonny Doon last year? I'm going to catch it there tomorrow, and am wondering about the timing of road closures and parking. Best to park somewhere at the bottom and ride up, or can you park on the hill? Thanks for any advice.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I live in Santa Cruz and imagining hitting these descents and final km's in town at race speed frightens me.. Western Dr. in town is very very bad pavement. The boardwalk where the finish is has train tracks and road furniture, gonna go tomorrow morning and see how they dealt with all that crap. climbing beach hill with all those little turns thrown in, with a descent and a sharp turn right before the finish will favor a ballsy bike handler to go on the attack and take those turns like a wild man, the group will have no chance to reel anyone back in who takes a flyer in the last kilometer.

I really hope empire grade isn't wet tomorrow afternoon, some of the grades are very steep and miscalculating a turn could seriously injure a dude, not to mention the pavement has some bumps you don't want to hit at maximum turning velocity...

I'm torn between going to bonny doon rd. and shouting at riders or watching the live feed and then riding to the boardwalk to catch the finish..??? what to do...

is riding your bike after the riders, or along the side of the road, seriously frowned apon?? i don't want to be that douchebag, but something about riding up the same climb in the general vicinity of the pros gives me goose bumps and makes me feel like a kid again, lol.

edit
Anyone watch it on Bonny Doon last year? I'm going to catch it there tomorrow, and am wondering about the timing of road closures and parking. Best to park somewhere at the bottom and ride up, or can you park on the hill? Thanks for any advice.
I watched it from the bottom of Bonny Doon rd. last year since I got there late and that's as far as I could run up before they got there, it was very slow and mellow with everyone looking at eachother.. but that was probably due to the situation that the break was just about to be caught?? and perhaps no one in that break felt they had a chance in hell to attack up BD rd, knowing that levi and crew were only a minute in arrears?? not sure why ben jacques maynes wasn't giving it a go from the beginning.. meh.. i think near the top of bonny doon rd would be more exciting... there are some long stretches of bonny doon rd that would allow you to see the riders coming up from a long ways off, so it might be more fun, especially if you have binoculars.. somewhere around Smith Grade (on bonny doon rd) is a place that affords a lengthy view down the road, it is fairly straight around there. that's my saturday training ride we do 3x bonny doon+martin, to the fire station in 25 minutes or less, but the amgen time list seems to think the riders will do it in 9 minutes, ha ha ha.. that's why i wear a vintage jersey with holes in it and not a pro one i guess, ha ha :(

yah I recomend parking on hwy1 at the beach, and riding your bike up, there will be tons and tons of cars there if you get there close to arrival time... parking up the mountain should be fine if you get there early enough.. want to team up and moon lance?? or we could shotgun beers and shout obscenities..

Cancellara to pull out of the race, today, I reckon. Battling illness apparently.
The Californian climate doesn't seem to suit him.
The GC now looks as it should. Top heavy with Radio Shack's overkill squad, US Pro boys and a couple of Euro riders prepared to make an effort..........
........oh and those pesky Aussies, who are all riding on cloud 9 at the moment.

Are we likely to see any of this interesting finish?
What's the weather forecast?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Radioshack will mash tempo for Levi on the final climb until Lance wants to actually win something so he goes solo on the final climb but the peleton have to stop because Lance will not win unless the peleton comes to a standstill. The crowds will be chanting "U S A, U S A" and will be waving their american flags about as Lance points to the sky due to the death of race radios at the tdf this year.

A

Anonymous

to be honest, after the last two wasted evenings, i think i might give this one a miss

A

Anonymous

theyoungest said:
Meh, don't overdo it. The ToC still has some moderately selective climbs in it, and a stronger field.

The ToC should have paid Thomas de Ghent a couple of million to go over and liven it up. Seriously after a two hour coma stage one, and last night fiasco, i dont think i can put myself through that again.

auscyclefan94 said:
Radioshack will mash tempo for Levi on the final climb until Lance wants to actually win something so he goes solo on the final climb but the peleton have to stop because Lance will not win unless the peleton comes to a standstill. The crowds will be chanting "U S A, U S A" and will be waving their american flags about as Lance points to the sky due to the death of race radios at the tdf this year.

wtf-cat.jpg

MWRoadie said:
This will be a day where a break of a handful of riders no one has heard of, from teams no one cares about, will make a early break, gain four minutes, only to be caught on the final climb by the handful of riders in the ToC that at least we know the names of.

Plus we'll have extensive coverage of LA as he finishes 28th.

Highly unlikely that Lance finishes 28th.

A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
But ask yourself... Can it get any worse!?

Yes,
1) a breakaway group including lance armstrong with phil and paul commentating
2) a breakaway involving any teammate of lance armstrong with phil and paul commentating
3) a teammate of lance armstrong winning with phil and paul orgasming
4) the tv pictures going down and them showing stage 1 AGAIN

as i speak, live giro coverage on eurosport has just been interrupted (because there is nothing happening apparently) by PLANET ARMSTRONG

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
.. Western Dr. in town is very very bad pavement.

You've got that right. Going down Western Drive in a car is scary and bone rattling, with some of the best potholes in town. And the RR tracks near the Boardwalk are nasty on a bike.

Last time I was in SC (a few months ago) it looked like the area of West Cliff Drive near the lighthouse had been repaved - it needed it.

But there is a plus side to ending at the Boardwalk - I hear the guys on the podium get to take a ride on the Big Dipper roller coaster with a podium girl on their lap. :D

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
to be honest, after the last two wasted evenings, i think i might give this one a miss

Still smarting over the loss of the colonies I see. Just sooth yourself with a black and tan or snakebite.

I know it will be late over there but if you are still wakie wakie watch the last climb going up before santa cruz.

I rode it the other day about 9 miles. You will see seperation there.

TeamSkyFans said:
Yes,
1) a breakaway group including lance armstrong with phil and paul commentating
2) a breakaway involving any teammate of lance armstrong with phil and paul commentating
3) a teammate of lance armstrong winning with phil and paul orgasming
4) the tv pictures going down and them showing stage 1 AGAIN

as i speak, live giro coverage on eurosport has just been interrupted (because there is nothing happening apparently) by PLANET ARMSTRONG

That would definitely be a lot worse... How many times has a certain man by the name of Lance Armstrong been mentioned? :D

Can't you watch ToC on Eurosport? Maggie > B1 and B2.

A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
How many times has a certain man by the name of Lance Armstrong been mentioned? :D.

18 times in the first hour of stage 1. I was counting for a competition.

flicker said:
Still smarting over the loss of the colonies I see. Just sooth yourself with a black and tan or snakebite.

I know it will be late over there but if you are still wakie wakie watch the last climb going up before santa cruz.

I rode it the other day about 9 miles. You will see seperation there.

You'd better rest up a while after that marathon.

Not much point in staying up to watch zero pictures.
Over here, in the third world, we can get live racing action, even when it's a bit damp. Must be our old fashioned cameras or something.

Btw: Contador once again confirms he'll be riding the Giro next year.
Will be good for the best race of the year to be supported by the best rider in the world.

TRENDING THREADS