• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Road Race

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
The provisional route of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games road race has been revealed, and will include two climbs on a 270 km multi-lap course. The men's race is set to tackle the circuit 16 times that include two key climbs of 3.4 and 3.2 per cent.

The two climbs on the route are 1 km at 3.4% and 2.4km at 3.2%, well below the 18% maximum gradient tackled in Rio. The climbs come in the first half of the circuit which opens up the race to puncheurs, sprinters who can climb or a climber who can do a bit of sprinting.

The proposed Tokyo race route, which hasn't been approved but is expected to get the go ahead, will start and finish in the Japanese capital.

767fb.jpg

From Cyclist.co.uk

I think there's just about enough there to keep it interesting. London was nailed on for a sprinter, but was won by a climber-puncheur. Rio looked good for a pure climber but was won by a puncheur. So who knows what will happen on this? Looks like a kind of easyish version of Milano-Sanremo, but will small teams, late in the season and with strong riders who wouldn't normally go to MSR giving everything for the win.

Re:

DFA123 said:
I think there's just about enough there to keep it interesting. London was nailed on for a sprinter, but was won by a climber-puncheur. Rio looked good for a pure climber but was won by a puncheur. So who knows what will happen on this? Looks like a kind of easyish version of Milano-Sanremo, but will small teams, late in the season and with strong riders who wouldn't normally go to MSR giving everything for the win.

Yes. The ORR is quite unpredictable

Re:

DFA123 said:

With 3-5 rider per team everything can happen here. That's the good part of those races. :)

the asian said:
Gigs_98 said:
rghysens said:
If that profile is somewhat accurate, riding the course in the opposite direction seems a better option.
This

Probably will be finishing away from an iconic land mark/city centre. So no chance and this will be a problem in all Olympics.

If Paris hosts the 2024 olympics the finish will be on the Champ Elysees.

Could be something for a news race design challenge. Make Olympic Road Races for Paris, LA and Budapest.

For a finish on the Champs-Élysées Vino should come back from retirement.

Re: Re:

the asian said:
Gigs_98 said:
rghysens said:
If that profile is somewhat accurate, riding the course in the opposite direction seems a better option.
This

Probably will be finishing away from an iconic land mark/city centre. So no chance and this will be a problem in all Olympics.

If Paris hosts the 2024 olympics the finish will be on the Champ Elysees.

But if they ride the same circuit the other way round, they will be finishing at the same place? A moot point as I guess they have their reasons for what they have done.

Re:

Netserk said:
If Paris hosts, it'd be great if the circuit was around Versailles.
Yes, the cotes de la Vallee de Chevreuse are right there. This could be my next Race Design project. Thanks Netserk! :)

Agree that the course should be reversed. From the other side, the climbs look like 6% or so: that's more like...climbs to me. And a shorter run in to the finish, yeah...

3.2%, that's my driveway: come on...

TRENDING THREADS