• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom Boonen Discussion Thread

Either I suck at using the new search system (Lock if this is the case), or the best cobbles rider of this century still hasn't gotten his own discussion thread.

Was looking for it because I'd want to know if there's updates after his crash? Any idea what the prognosis is?

Red Rick said:
Either I suck at using the new search system (Lock if this is the case), or the best cobbles rider of this decade still hasn't gotten his own discussion thread.

Was looking for it because I'd want to know if there's updates after his crash? Any idea what the prognosis is?

I couldn't find Canc's discussion thread either :p

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Apparently he's feeling good and should be able to fly back to Belgium next week.

http://www.etixx-quickstep.com/en/news/show/tom-boonen-update/2449

Ok, that's encouraging
Yeah, I guess the immediate concern is the head injury, but if he has broken his collarbone or something as well, that could be more of a long term problem. He should be able to at least get on the trainer within a few weeks though so I reckon he'll be fine for the classics.

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Either I suck at using the new search system (Lock if this is the case), or the best cobbles rider of this decade still hasn't gotten his own discussion thread.

Wait, how is this even a contest? Boonen's palmares in cobbled classics are miles ahead of Cancellara's.

Hugo Koblet said:
PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:

Wait, how is this even a contest? Boonen's palmares in cobbled classics are miles ahead of Cancellara's.

For me, 'this decade' implies from 2010 as opposed to last 10 years. Therefore considering results and performances since 2010, I'd go for Canc

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
portugal11 said:
boonen has a palmares better than cancellara but a super cancellara is better than boonen, and i am a big fan of boonen

Right now, yes, but would be interesting to see '05 Boonen vs '10 Cancellara

Or '12 Boonen vs '13 Cancellara... Anyway it would be nice to see them head to head in top form next year, although their top form is not guarantee of a monument win anymore, I think...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Canc was just better than Boonen, at least physically. I give boonen the strategic edge though.

But '05 Boonen wasn't that good, Canc '10 was for sure better

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I love Boonen....just seems like he was happier when he was winning vs. Cance and his "Stop marking me" attitude.

But...Boonen was living "on a cloud"....or is that "Up" in the clouds?

Still a big fan. I hope he has ONE good run left in him.

He looked pretty strong in the Worlds. Add my name to the list of someone who'd like to see both Boonen and Cancellara have a crash-free Spring Classics campaign next year. I suspect that neither have quite got a monument win in them now, but I'd like to see them in the mix one last time.

Re:

Miburo said:
Canc was just better than Boonen, at least physically. I give boonen the strategic edge though.

But '05 Boonen wasn't that good, Canc '10 was for sure better

But, Canc would need to drop him or Boonen wins the sprint. Therefore the question is: would '10 Canc be able to drop Boonen on the cobbles? At RVV, possibly, but I really doubt it in PR

Re:

cellardoor said:
He looked pretty strong in the Worlds. Add my name to the list of someone who'd like to see both Boonen and Cancellara have a crash-free Spring Classics campaign next year. I suspect that neither have quite got a monument win in them now, but I'd like to see them in the mix one last time.
Very much this. And even if they aren't quite good enough to win, they're not just going to sit their passively until the last few km to find out. The races will be much more exciting for having them both there.

DFA123 said:
cellardoor said:
Very much this. And even if they aren't quite good enough to win, they're not just going to sit their passively until the last few km to find out. The races will be much more exciting for having them both there.

Yeah, I will never forget the 50 km solo Boonen did in 2012 P-R - talk about not waiting for the last few km to go :D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Billie said:
Red Rick said:
Lol, I meant to say best cobbles rider of the century

he's the best cobbles rider ever actually
De Vlaeminck is the best P-R rider ever, with worse bikes and finishing 8 times on the podium in 10 years, one of which he wasn't there.

With worse bikes than who? Boonen? Cause I don't think he had a worse bike than his rivals!

TRENDING THREADS