Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Climber123 said:
Blanco said:
Climber123 said:
phil-i-am said:
If all GC favourites start the same GT I'd say:
***** Froome
**** Dumoulin
*** Quintana, Nibali, Bardet
** Uran, Landa, Aru, Zakarin, Pinot, Porte
* Yates, Valverde, Martin, Kelderman, Lopez, Thomas, Roglic
This is accurate
Accurate my ***!
Dumoulin is certainly not level above Quintana and Nibali, not sure even if he's on the same level with them.
And what the hell Valverde, with 8 GT podiums, has to do with Roglic, Kelderman and Thomas?!!! In that group you don't have one single GT podium!
Based on recent form I would say it is accurate. When last did Valverde actually fight for a win in a GT? Maybe one can class him with Uran, Landa et al. and maybe Nibali can level with Dumoulin. Dumoulin is a more complete GT rider than Quintana without a doubt.
And when did Roglic, Thomas and Kelderman fight for the win ever? Or do they have better form than Valverde this year :confused:
Dumoulin is more complete, but not better.
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Climber123 said:
Blanco said:
Climber123 said:
phil-i-am said:
If all GC favourites start the same GT I'd say:
***** Froome
**** Dumoulin
*** Quintana, Nibali, Bardet
** Uran, Landa, Aru, Zakarin, Pinot, Porte
* Yates, Valverde, Martin, Kelderman, Lopez, Thomas, Roglic
This is accurate
Accurate my ***!
Dumoulin is certainly not level above Quintana and Nibali, not sure even if he's on the same level with them.
And what the hell Valverde, with 8 GT podiums, has to do with Roglic, Kelderman and Thomas?!!! In that group you don't have one single GT podium!
Based on recent form I would say it is accurate. When last did Valverde actually fight for a win in a GT? Maybe one can class him with Uran, Landa et al. and maybe Nibali can level with Dumoulin. Dumoulin is a more complete GT rider than Quintana without a doubt.
Last time he rode one that wasn't the third GT in a season... And then he had to babysit his weak and ridiculous "captain".

The last time he was riding a GT for himself which was the 2016 Giro. 2016 Tour he was babysitting his "race leader" and 2016 Vuelta was the 3rd GT of the season. Last year he didn't exactly get to compete for a GT. You all do remember his podium in the Giro. Then 6th while babysitting Quintana (which some of his interviews showed he was irritated about).
 
Derry said:
I don't get it either. Last year he made a mistake with the comments about Nibali and Quintana, but this year I haven't heard him complaining about anybody.

He only blamed himself for not just time trialing the finale.
It wasn't a mistake. TD was brutally honest, which in today's world may shock some. Nibali and Quintana waited for him to chase after Tibopino, total wheelsuckers, Tom was just honest. I like that.

In this Giro, all he really needed was a little more ITT. He fought hard. I like him.
 
Tonton said:
Derry said:
I don't get it either. Last year he made a mistake with the comments about Nibali and Quintana, but this year I haven't heard him complaining about anybody.

He only blamed himself for not just time trialing the finale.
It wasn't a mistake. TD was brutally honest, which in today's world may shock some. Nibali and Quintana waited for him to chase after Tibopino, total wheelsuckers, Tom was just honest. I like that.

In this Giro, all he really needed was a little more ITT. He fought hard. I like him.
Yeah, he showed excellent form. He was arguably stronger than last year which says a lot. He was one of the best in the mountains, beating everyone bar Froome even if we omit the two time trials. If he continues to progress he can win the Tour next year.
 
Truthfully, I don't have an issue with things TD has said. He's being honest and that's nice to see from an athlete. As for not shaking hands with Froome, well he's not the first athlete to not shake hands with a competitor and most definitely won't be the last one. I don't have a problem with that either. Truthfully I have a bigger problem with him throwing his bike in Abu Dhabi even though I understand his frustration and why he did that.
 
Tonton said:
Derry said:
I don't get it either. Last year he made a mistake with the comments about Nibali and Quintana, but this year I haven't heard him complaining about anybody.

He only blamed himself for not just time trialing the finale.
It wasn't a mistake. TD was brutally honest, which in today's world may shock some. Nibali and Quintana waited for him to chase after Tibopino, total wheelsuckers, Tom was just honest. I like that.

In this Giro, all he really needed was a little more ITT. He fought hard. I like him.
Well he could have done a better second TT but not 46 seconds better I doubt. Dennis and Martin are no slouches. Add some time lost on the descent chasing Froome they could have lost again on the final climb. Who knows. The one thing is clear is that the chase group he was stuck with could not have been worse from a tactics point of views. Two riders battling the white jersey, a tired domestique for Pinot and Pinot himself not feeling the best. A team mate of his own would have made a big difference. Definitely needs a better climber on his team.
 
Well Oomen was with the best 6 today. He is still 22 so its getting there. Also Dumoulin is not the rider who is going for a record TdF amount , doubt he even can. He is going to target things he likes. I hope he succeeds in winning all Gts at least once, and then maybe add some classics as well. Kinda like Nibali. That would be awesome
 
Given his prior experience with those riders and their respective aims/tactics, he clearly should have gone full steam ahead over the descent. He should not have handed Froome over a minute on the descent just so he can remain with a dysfunctional group of riders whose strengths aren’t even particularly aligned with the need of the moment.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Was kinda sad to see him just ignoring Froome after the finish line instead of congratulating him for a great win.
He didn't ignore him, that photo is taken out of context. He was being interviewed and wasn't aware it was Froome poking his ribs for 1 second as he passed by, the pic was snapped just at that moment, but there's a video floating around from a different angle, where it's clear Froome gives him a friendly nudge while Dumo is giving all his attention to the interviewer and doesn't see Froome. Probably assumed it was a friendly fan.

Edit to add: It was late at nite for me, and there was so much going on, but I think I also saw some vid of them shaking hands (probably later).
 
Re: Re:

***** Froome
**** Dumoulin
*** Quintana, Nibali
** Uran, Landa, Zakarin, Porte, Martin, Bardet
* Pino, S and A Yates, Aru, Valverde, Bernal, Lopez, Thomas, Roglic

IMO. 2018 level. Contador to jump to top spot with Bernal when he makes his comeback in 2019.
 
May 27, 2016
57
0
2,680
I feel sorry for Tom that he gave it a go against Froome, who just kept over taking him to let him know he had no chance, and then Froome pulling out on him at the end and leaving him in his foul stench as he raced over the line...and _then_afterwards putting his hand out expecting tumoulin would shake it to congratulate his repulsive victory. I understand why he was shaking his head. the audacity of it, the insult to us fans. The insult to the sport.

Does no one have any shame anymore?
 
May 27, 2016
57
0
2,680
Tonton said:
Respect to Tom Dumoulin, a heck of a rider. Too little ITT for him to mitigate stage 19 time losses, but the most consistent rider. He more than held his own in the mountains against a very solid group of climbers. On the attack today, he tried. Respect.
Even if he started yesterday with 4 minutes on Floyd Froome he would have lost. Froome crossed the line without a heightened pulse. Froomes heart probably beat faster from the kiss by a podium girl.

Very sad.
 
May 27, 2016
57
0
2,680
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Was kinda sad to see him just ignoring Froome after the finish line instead of congratulating him for a great win..
You uhh, dont think maybe that is a clue for something else do you?

Never mind Froome didnt have to rub it in like that? IMO burning off like that...to take 12th or whatever place, wasnt a clever thing to do under the circumstances.

But these guys all swim in a different pool and depth then I do I guess.
 
Re: Re:

rick james said:
jaylew said:
Climber123 said:
phil-i-am said:
If all GC favourites start the same GT I'd say:
***** Froome
**** Dumoulin
*** Quintana, Nibali, Bardet
** Uran, Landa, Aru, Zakarin, Pinot, Porte
* Yates, Valverde, Martin, Kelderman, Lopez, Thomas, Roglic
This is accurate
What? That list is preposterous.
He was just beaten by Uran...

Yep, bardet the same level as Quintana and nibali
 
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Climber123 said:
phil-i-am said:
If all GC favourites start the same GT I'd say:
***** Froome
**** Dumoulin
*** Quintana, Nibali, Bardet
** Uran, Landa, Aru, Zakarin, Pinot, Porte
* Yates, Valverde, Martin, Kelderman, Lopez, Thomas, Roglic
This is accurate
What? That list is preposterous.
Yep, Dumoulin fanboys are swiftly catching up with Contador and Sagan fanboys as the most ridiculous on the internet.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
jaylew said:
Climber123 said:
phil-i-am said:
If all GC favourites start the same GT I'd say:
***** Froome
**** Dumoulin
*** Quintana, Nibali, Bardet
** Uran, Landa, Aru, Zakarin, Pinot, Porte
* Yates, Valverde, Martin, Kelderman, Lopez, Thomas, Roglic
This is accurate
What? That list is preposterous.
Yep, Dumoulin fanboys are swiftly catching up with Contador and Sagan fanboys as the most ridiculous on the internet.
Considering the size of the internet, I'll take that as a badge of honor
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
jaylew said:
Climber123 said:
phil-i-am said:
If all GC favourites start the same GT I'd say:
***** Froome
**** Dumoulin
*** Quintana, Nibali, Bardet
** Uran, Landa, Aru, Zakarin, Pinot, Porte
* Yates, Valverde, Martin, Kelderman, Lopez, Thomas, Roglic
This is accurate
What? That list is preposterous.
Yep, Dumoulin fanboys are swiftly catching up with Contador and Sagan fanboys as the most ridiculous on the internet.
Considering the size of the internet, I'll take that as a badge of honor
:D
 
AustCyclingFan said:
Tonton said:
Respect to Tom Dumoulin, a heck of a rider. Too little ITT for him to mitigate stage 19 time losses, but the most consistent rider. He more than held his own in the mountains against a very solid group of climbers. On the attack today, he tried. Respect.
Even if he started yesterday with 4 minutes on Floyd Froome he would have lost. Froome crossed the line without a heightened pulse. Froomes heart probably beat faster from the kiss by a podium girl.

Very sad.
No.
 
AustCyclingFan said:
Tonton said:
Respect to Tom Dumoulin, a heck of a rider. Too little ITT for him to mitigate stage 19 time losses, but the most consistent rider. He more than held his own in the mountains against a very solid group of climbers. On the attack today, he tried. Respect.
Even if he started yesterday with 4 minutes on Floyd Froome he would have lost. Froome crossed the line without a heightened pulse. Froomes heart probably beat faster from the kiss by a podium girl.

Very sad.
Really?
I'm sure you can prove that as well by showing us his minute by minute HR.
:lol:
 
It's a little sad he didn't win. 46 seconds isn't a lot and it's actually even less than it seems in a gt with very big time gaps. For example you could also say, he lost by only a fifth of froome's winning margin over him in the crucial stage. How often is that the case?
Anyway I would now officially call myself a fan of him after felt relatively neutral about him before this giro. He is a unique character in a time where most people's character is what their manager tells them and he is a fighter who doesn't care about 2nd places. I hope he'll make climbers attack from far out for many more years
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY