Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You only have so many GTs in your legs as a top level rider. Kind of like elite marathoners. You want to make the most of your chances. But, he's still got a month to recover, so even with the effort in the Giro he should be relatively fresh.
 
Re:

MuskyOurSaviour said:
I don't know if it's mostly because how they edited it, but the biggest takeway seemed to be they were super gloom and doom before Finestre.


thats one of the things i took a way from these videos, Dumoulin knew what was coming from Froome/sky on stage 19

i really like these sort of videos, i know we don't get to see all the ins and outs but it still good
 
Re: Re:

rick james said:
DFA123 said:
Flamin said:
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/362533/dumoulin-aanstichter-neutralisatie-laatste-rit-giro-ditalia.html

Lol, so it was Dumoulin who called for a neutralization in the Giro. Where the Froome bashers at :D
Well that's pretty embarrassing for a few posters, given their comments in the race thread for the stage. :eek:
A lot of people get blinded by hated for Froome..some of the comments on the race thread were uncalled for
I was guilty of that, and I regret it
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Red Rick said:
He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Yep, big mistake. He's now a head of state, going for stages, whatever, top-5 or top-10 adds nothing...
Not convinced he will finish the race. Odd decision when the Giro/Vuelta is much easier and a good schedule for the Worlds. Why would a GC winner want to stage hunt when he admits he is feeling tired and there is no other rider to support for GC ? If not the Vuelta maybe another late season race.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Tonton said:
Red Rick said:
He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Yep, big mistake. He's now a head of state, going for stages, whatever, top-5 or top-10 adds nothing...
Not convinced he will finish the race. Odd decision when the Giro/Vuelta is much easier and a good schedule for the Worlds. Why would a GC winner want to stage hunt when he admits he is feeling tired and there is no other rider to support for GC ? If not the Vuelta maybe another late season race.
Probably because it's the Tour and the sponsors say so.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
movingtarget said:
Tonton said:
Red Rick said:
He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Yep, big mistake. He's now a head of state, going for stages, whatever, top-5 or top-10 adds nothing...
Not convinced he will finish the race. Odd decision when the Giro/Vuelta is much easier and a good schedule for the Worlds. Why would a GC winner want to stage hunt when he admits he is feeling tired and there is no other rider to support for GC ? If not the Vuelta maybe another late season race.
Probably because it's the Tour and the sponsors say so.
I agree, from the outside Sunweb's decisions seem more ruled by sponsors than other teams
 
The team confirms that he'll be starting.

Dumoulin commented: “I am very proud of what we’ve already achieved at the Giro and I consider any result that we can take at the Tour de France a bonus for this season. My season so far has been focused on the Giro and the team purposely waited to the make the decision about the Tour until after the Giro had finished. After a good Giro we’ve chosen to go to the Tour with a GC focus, to learn without a specific result in mind. Doing two consecutive grand tours for a GC will be a new experience for me and the team, and will give us some valuable insights for the future.”
 
So, he will skip the Dutch national time trial championships, since it's held on 27 june, the same date he will finish his current altitude training camp.

Say of it what you want, it seems they are really taking this double GC attempt seriously. Regardless of the non-pressure of a result.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
So, he will skip the Dutch national time trial championships, since it's held on 27 june, the same date he will finish his current altitude training camp.

Say of it what you want, it seems they are really taking this double GC attempt seriously. Regardless of the non-pressure of a result.
Maybe a little rivalry with Froome ?
 
Very promising interview with Dumoulin in the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

He says he has never felt so fresh 2 weeks after a GT as now and is feeling really good. He is going 100% for the GC, no other option.

He had the double as plan since the winter, but held it as an option as he didn't know for sure what would happen in the Giro.
Even though he is feeling really well he says he can't be disappointed if the Tour turns bad, it's a risk he is prepared to take and it won't take away his Giro result.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Very promising interview with Dumoulin in the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

He says he has never felt so fresh 2 weeks after a GT as now and is feeling really good. He is going 100% for the GC, no other option.
Sounds great. I hope he will feel just as fresh as he was at the Giro... or almost.

Any guesses at how will the Sunweb team look like?

In my opinion Dumoulin, Kelderman, Matthews, Andersen and Geschke seems certain. I'm not so sure about Ten Dam but I guess he will be there too (he seems to be on very good terms with Tom and Sunweb don't really have many climbers to choose from). So that makes it six but what about the last two places? Some guys who can do well in the TTT and on the cobbles as well? My five cents are on Arndt and Teunissen, but I don't really know.
 
Yeah that is pretty much their team I think. Think Arndt is also almost certain because of the TTT and his good TT in Suisse.

I think Dumoulin is really well suited for the first 10 days of the Tour compared to other GT riders. But the question is if he's not too tired in week 3 after the Giro. Most Giro/Tour doublers are...
 
Re:

Yeah, Arndt rode a superb TT in TdS. He wasn't that spectacular in the TTT tough. Did he have some problems? I would still select him, there are not too many great alternatives. Stage 3 and 9 should be two important targets for the team and Arndt can help in both stages. If Kelderman finds his TTT boots Sunweb can be up there with BMC and Sky on Stage 3.

From all the favourites maybe one can say that the first half of the race suits Dumoulin the best. It's not at all unthinkable that he will be in yellow comes the rest day.

As for the third week I have my doubts as well. Can he hold his act together? How good TT can he rode after 2 full GTs?

Let's hope the longer break they have between the two races will help him in limiting the fatigue. He managed that last part of the Giro better than he ever done in a GT. Let's hope he continues to show that he stepped up from last year.
 
It's good to read such a positive interview from him and I don't think he's the type to talk up his chances if he's not feeling great. But I can't help thinking back to Suisse last year where he was terrible following the Giro. Also, he looked very tired in the Hammer series compared to Oomen.
 
The route looks to be in Dumoulin's favour alright and I think that he could well take yellow into the first rest day provided Sunweb are able to do a decent TTT. Not sure he will be up there on GC after the 3 weeks though, there are too many diminutive climbers in this race who will likely take time off him in week 3 especially as he has the Giro in his legs.
 
Oct 6, 2016
10
0
0
Serious chance that he will take the yellow in the Alps (if Thomas loses some seconds and Dumoulin doesn't lose anything on the cobbles).

Dumoulin looked by the way very strong today.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY