Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 5, 2015
556
0
0
Doesn't make sense to me. Why would Dumoulin want to join Jumbo after the way they supported Roglic in the Giro? It's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
 
Re:

cellardoor said:
Doesn't make sense to me. Why would Dumoulin want to join Jumbo after the way they supported Roglic in the Giro? It's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
Jumbo-Visma is performing extraordinarily well. Any issues they have are nothing compared to the ones at Sunweb right now. Add in that Jumbo have amazing TT bikes and probably Ineos was the only alternative for him.
 
Really think Dumoulin is the sort of rider who should get sole leadership. I genuinely think, with Froome injured, he is currently the best gc rider in the world and he is the kind of guy who profits massively from a good team. I mean if Roglic stays at the team I agree he should get co-leadership but at this point I think it would make more sense for Roglic to go to another team and Jumbo signing two really good domestiques instead. I mean I won't complain if he stays and we have two leaders in one team instead of two teams trying to control things in next years tour, but I still find Roglic and Dumoulin in the same team kinda weird.

Also, imagine Kruijswijk ends up winning this tour. Would be kinda weird to tell the current tour winner that he will get relegated to domestique duties for the next season.
 
Gigs_98 said:
Really think Dumoulin is the sort of rider who should get sole leadership. I genuinely think, with Froome injured, he is currently the best gc rider in the world and he is the kind of guy who profits massively from a good team. I mean if Roglic stays at the team I agree he should get co-leadership but at this point I think it would make more sense for Roglic to go to another team and Jumbo signing two really good domestiques instead. I mean I won't complain if he stays and we have two leaders in one team instead of two teams trying to control things in next years tour, but I still find Roglic and Dumoulin in the same team kinda weird.

Also, imagine Kruijswijk ends up winning this tour. Would be kinda weird to tell the current tour winner that he will get relegated to domestique duties for the next season.
Doubt Kruijswijk is gonna be a pure domestique no matter how he finishes this Tour. There's also the Vuelta with both Kruijswijk and Roglic this year, so we'll see how that pans out.

I do think Jumbo is approaching a piont of having too many leaders, and if you bring both Dumoulin and Roglic to win the Tour as a team you gotta ditch the sprint train imo.
 
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Really think Dumoulin is the sort of rider who should get sole leadership. I genuinely think, with Froome injured, he is currently the best gc rider in the world and he is the kind of guy who profits massively from a good team. I mean if Roglic stays at the team I agree he should get co-leadership but at this point I think it would make more sense for Roglic to go to another team and Jumbo signing two really good domestiques instead. I mean I won't complain if he stays and we have two leaders in one team instead of two teams trying to control things in next years tour, but I still find Roglic and Dumoulin in the same team kinda weird.

Also, imagine Kruijswijk ends up winning this tour. Would be kinda weird to tell the current tour winner that he will get relegated to domestique duties for the next season.
Doubt Kruijswijk is gonna be a pure domestique no matter how he finishes this Tour. There's also the Vuelta with both Kruijswijk and Roglic this year, so we'll see how that pans out.

I do think Jumbo is approaching a piont of having too many leaders, and if you bring both Dumoulin and Roglic to win the Tour as a team you gotta ditch the sprint train imo.
Sky were in a similar position and they ditched the sprint train altogether, but with that also comes less stage wins.
 

KZD

Feb 21, 2019
228
2
535
Re:

cellardoor said:
Doesn't make sense to me. Why would Dumoulin want to join Jumbo after the way they supported Roglic in the Giro? It's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
I disagree

Roglic support in the Giro was not good but the team faced some unfortunate circunstances.
Gesink, one of the two major climbing domestiques broken his pelvis before the Giro so was out even before the race started. His replacement Sepp Kuss is a talented climber but he had some problems that prevented him of reaching a good level in the Giro

The other key domestique Laurens de Plus, a guy that has been doing a great Tour de France, crashed in the first week and eventually had to leave before the true mountains started.
Antwan Tolhoek a rider that did a good Tour last year also reached the Giro underperforming because he had an eye infection in the fall that almost made him lose his sight.

So I really think that Giro is an outlier and the team will show again its high climbing level in the Vuelta. Add the very good Bianchi time trial bikes and you have a team that can fight for all GT's in the same season giving at least a decent support to its leaders in all of them.

Regarding Kittel I hope he doesn't come, I don't like his mental stability and the team has other options to Groenewegen in the sprints like Van Poppel, Teunissen or even Van Aert.
 
Lequack said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Really think Dumoulin is the sort of rider who should get sole leadership. I genuinely think, with Froome injured, he is currently the best gc rider in the world and he is the kind of guy who profits massively from a good team. I mean if Roglic stays at the team I agree he should get co-leadership but at this point I think it would make more sense for Roglic to go to another team and Jumbo signing two really good domestiques instead. I mean I won't complain if he stays and we have two leaders in one team instead of two teams trying to control things in next years tour, but I still find Roglic and Dumoulin in the same team kinda weird.

Also, imagine Kruijswijk ends up winning this tour. Would be kinda weird to tell the current tour winner that he will get relegated to domestique duties for the next season.
Doubt Kruijswijk is gonna be a pure domestique no matter how he finishes this Tour. There's also the Vuelta with both Kruijswijk and Roglic this year, so we'll see how that pans out.

I do think Jumbo is approaching a piont of having too many leaders, and if you bring both Dumoulin and Roglic to win the Tour as a team you gotta ditch the sprint train imo.
Sky were in a similar position and they ditched the sprint train altogether, but with that also comes less stage wins.
Sky never had a sprint train. That had Cav freelancing in London Olympic year when British Cycling wanted all the lads riding for the same trade team.

Jumbo would find it very difficult to give a GT to a sprint train and still keep the ambitions of Dumoulin and Roglic satisfied. And that’s me assuming that Kruiswijk won’t retain his own aspirations to keep trying for gc in at least the Giro (unfinished business for him).
 
I can see more Wout van Aert type drama. Some more news on the transfer, in Dutch:
https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/236664/dossier-dumoulin-sunweb-houdt-poot-stijf-en-staat-lijnrecht-tegenover-tjv

Especially interesting bit at the end (Google translated):

"Dumoulin signs, but Sunweb won't let him go

Tom Dumoulin goes to Jumbo-Visma for four years, at least: that's what Sporza thinks . Bram Tankink, a guest on 24 July 2019 at Tourtalkshow Vive le Velo, thinks the transfer will happen anyway. "It would be strange if it didn't happen. It is the right choice. " Presenter Karl Vannieuwkerke goes a little further: "He signs for four years."

On Friday , July 26, 2019 , the soap will get a whole new twist. L'Equipe reports late in the evening that Dumoulin still wants so much, Team Sunweb does not want to let him go. According to the French medium, Iwan Spekenbrink referred to the UCI regulations, which state that all three parties must agree to a transfer in the case of a contract that is still ongoing.

In cycling, according to L'Equipe, it is even true that Team Jumbo-Visma and Dumoulin are not allowed to negotiate with each other as long as no permission has been given by Team Sunweb. According to the French, for that reason there is now tension between Team Sunweb and Jumbo-Visma, which apparently are directly opposite each other. (Photo: Sirotti)"
 
Sep 27, 2017
1,039
4
2,485
Considering how strong JV have looked at the Tour I can see why Dumoulin would be so keen to join...that squad with Dumoulin added in would be about the only credible threat to Ineos at the GT’s next year
 
So officially Dumoulin isn't allowed to negotiate with other teams, and Sunweb hasn't given him permission to do so. There might be a buy-out, but Jumbo-Visma hasn't officially made any moves towards Sunweb for this.
 
Re:

Red Rick said:
So officially Dumoulin isn't allowed to negotiate with other teams, and Sunweb hasn't given him permission to do so. There might be a buy-out, but Jumbo-Visma hasn't officially made any moves towards Sunweb for this.
And I am guessing such a buyout wouldn't come cheap.
 
Re: Re:

Lequack said:
Red Rick said:
So officially Dumoulin isn't allowed to negotiate with other teams, and Sunweb hasn't given him permission to do so. There might be a buy-out, but Jumbo-Visma hasn't officially made any moves towards Sunweb for this.
And I am guessing such a buyout wouldn't come cheap.
Hopefully they are as cheap as they are with getting good domestiques
 
If Sunweb is wise they cash-in on Dumoulin and already have contacted Barguil, so he doesn't sign the agreement to join Arkea-Katusha as a domestique for Quintana!

They don't appear to be wise though and have already burnt a lot of bridges for themselves.
 
Maybe Tom played a part in wanting to get back early to race the Tour also. Not just the team.

It seems to me they didnt know the severity of that knee injury and the following troubles he has had with it. Whether the fault lies or who deserves most of the blame can be discussed. The medical staff and doctors, the team or Tom himself. I think they all can be blamed tbh.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS