• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Bardamu said:
I think he'll be fine for the Giro, but I wonder what he can do in LBL. EIther working for Matthews or go in the offensive himself?
It's just sad that LBL has become a race where you can even ask the question whether Dumoulin might work for Michael Matthews. How on earth did we get here?

When likes of Dumoulin can't drop Micheal Mattthews :lol:

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Bardamu said:
I think he'll be fine for the Giro, but I wonder what he can do in LBL. EIther working for Matthews or go in the offensive himself?
It's just sad that LBL has become a race where you can even ask the question whether Dumoulin might work for Michael Matthews. How on earth did we get here?
True, but Dumoulin needs to prove himself first as a one-day racer to claim complete leadership. Matthews c climbing skills have improved enormously and he is able to finish it.

exactly as i thought in abu dhabi. He wanted to show the world he was good and prove himself and got way too angry at some mechanicals.

then wanted to make up in strade bianchi while obviously being sick, making it worse. So he was nowhere in the tirreno, and fell on top of it. So demotivated and physically hurt after.

He really needed that MSR to get some mojo back, result wasnt anything, but he had good legs there. Now with fresh mood into the giro. Hopefully he can learn to relax a bit because the pressure is going to be there everywhere.

It's a bit like back in 2004 when Cunego won the pink jersey. We're 1 month away from the Giro d'Italia and no one of the favorites is in any kind of shape.

Dumoulin has been hit by illness and bad luck. Froome's shape is a big question mark this season. Aru looked good at T-A, but he's always very vulnerable and misses consistency. Pinot has chosen a light build-up towards the corsa rosa. Lopez seemed to be good in the middle east, but his T-A performance put his current condition into perspective. In a shockingly bad way.

It's a complete mystery right now, who's gonna line up in winning shape in Israel!

Dumoulin said he missed the punch you need for these races because of just returning from training camp. But he still felt pretty good, slightly better than last year. He says if he ever wants to win these kind of races he needs to make a specific goal out of it.
He's confident for the Giro, also because Oomen was strong too.

He was happy for Jungels that he won and said he deserved a big win.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Dumoulin said he missed the punch you need for these races because of just returning from training camp. But he still felt pretty good, slightly better than last year. He says if he ever wants to win these kind of races he needs to make a specific goal out of it.

Think the Giro team will be similar to last year except with Oomen instead of Kelderman?

Red Rick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Think the Giro team will be similar to last year except with Oomen instead of Kelderman?
Dumoulin, Ten Dam, Oomen and Vervaeke are certain

The other 3 will probably be helpers for the flat/in between stages.

I think Vervaeke is also a good addition btw. Should be able to last long

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Dumoulin, Ten Dam, Oomen and Vervaeke are certain

The other 3 will probably be helpers for the flat/in between stages.

I think Vervaeke is also a good addition btw. Should be able to last long

Yeah, a lot is gonna depend on how good Oomen is though. Don't want to be isolated in a 15 men group with several Astana and Sky riders.

They shouldn't have to carry the race anyway, and if Sky is gonna choo choo that's only good for Dumoulin as long as he can follow Froome.

But the Etna should be telling. Dumoulin should be a favorite for the prologue I imagine? It's quite hilly.

Sky and Froome can be Dumoulins best ally for sure, especially since I really, really doubt Frome will be able to drop the best guys, so he could very well take on a rather conservative approach which should favour Dumolin. He looked good in Liege, but I am a little worried that his shitty spring and his few race days will hamper him.

Re:

staubsauger said:
He should at least do Romandie prior to the Giro shouldn't he?
No

Dumoulin has exactly the same program as last year.

I don't know why people think he is under-raced, knowing that fact (that he did the same program last year). The only thing missing is 3 stages from the Tirreno because he quit. Those 3 race days aren't making a difference. He seems to be in comparable shape

great start
5Ob1W_f-maxage-0.gif

TRENDING THREADS