• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

SafeBet said:
Nibali on Tom: "he's great, he controlled very well, he's the strongest of all. But he sounds a bit too cocky. He can't ask us to work for him. What does he want? That me and Nairo pull for him until Milano and then thank him? He hopes we lose the podium, why should I care about getting 2nd, 3rd or 5th? He could lose the podium as well if he keeps riding this way."

Beef!

But he also said: "He's a very good guy, he's honest, straightforward. Everybody respect him. When I won in Bormio he came to congratulate me. When we race we all get mean. It's normal.
Nah, seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Nibali on Tom: "he's great, he controlled very well, he's the strongest of all. But he sounds a bit too cocky. He can't ask us to work for him. What does he want? That me and Nairo pull for him until Milano and then thank him? He hopes we lose the podium, why should I care about getting 2nd, 3rd or 5th? He could lose the podium as well if he keeps riding this way."

Beef!

But he also said: "He's a very good guy, he's honest, straightforward. Everybody respect him. When I won in Bormio he came to congratulate me. When we race we all get mean. It's normal.

I never liked nibali, never, but this time i'm totally agree with him. What did Tom expect? Ask an help to people who win almost everything ...for what? To secure a podium?! Nibali and quintana? It is obvious Tom has never won anything.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He's becoming overconfident. Yeah I don't like it either. it's better to keep as many friends as possible if you have such a weak team. Now he just ignites the anger in Nibali and all. Not smart.
Or worse, he's igniting the anger within the tifosi. I'm fully expecting a Froome treatment tomorrow now.

It's still too early to congratulate him on the overall. There are still two more mountain stages where he could easily lose minutes, even though he looked pretty darn good today. He is getting confidence as each tough stage is being counted, and his cockiness is showing a bit, but he needs to stay composed and be smart. No need to go at the front and do the work, unless of course he feels that his position is in danger. Neither Nibali nor Quintana have looked super apart from Quintana's attack on Blockhaus and Nibali's win two days ago. Dumoulin must know this, perhaps that's why he is sounding a bit cocky.

Without the nature break incident, he obviously would have been in a real good position now, but even with 2 or 3 minute buffer it's still not a done deal. It's also not a given that he'll just cruise in the TT. He could be having a bad day, mechanical issues...

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He's becoming overconfident. Yeah I don't like it either. it's better to keep as many friends as possible if you have such a weak team. Now he just ignites the anger in Nibali and all. Not smart.
Or worse, he's igniting the anger within the tifosi. I'm fully expecting a Froome treatment tomorrow now.

Nah, the way Froome is treated in the Tour is so bad I doubt it is even replicable anywhere else.
And recently the only one I remember of riders being treated really bad were Contador in 2011 in one particular stage that had to be shortened due to security and a rumor circulated about him and/or Riis being the one responsible for that. Also Menchov was boo-ed pretty bad in one or two stages near Di Luca's hometown in 2009.
TomD will be fine I think...

P.s. Just saw this video of Domoulin and Quintana meeting after the stage, anybody understands what he is saying to Quintana?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7DaVIX1IBs

Maybe he feels really good and has taken everything Nibali and NQ can throw at him in his stride. He's telling them that if you want to win this race, you got to get past me but if you don't attack me then you ain't gonna win. I don't think Nibali and NQ expected TD to be this good and have been expecting a 2 horse race by this point, not chasing it. They just don't like it.

Hmm

On Dutch TV he is a lot more nuanced. Says Nibali and Quintana are clearly in a pact and that's understandable. Then complains a bit that Kruijswijk and Mollema can't form a 'counter-pact' with him instead.
Then he says he is definately not certain and says any bad day like in the Vuelta 2015 could still ruin everything.

He has every reason to be confident though. Firstly, because by now he knows he has the recovery to go all the way and secondly his two main rivals aren't climbing much if at all better than himself. The latter is an absolutely crucial requirement for any significant attack (long range or not) to succeed given the stages left.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm

On Dutch TV he is a lot more nuanced. Says Nibali and Quintana are clearly in a pact and that's understandable. Then complains a bit that Kruijswijk and Mollema can't form a 'counter-pact' with him instead.
Then he says he is definately not certain and says any bad day like in the Vuelta 2015 could still ruin everything.

I don't understand the reasons why Mollema and S.K. would form alliances with him. Alliances with Zaka, Pinot and Pozzo instead, would make much more sense.
Now that I think about it, the trolling of Nibali and Quintana might have been made to form alliances with the aforement

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm

Wait, what...? I thought they hated each other. Can't keep up with all the latest gossip in the peloton. Is Visconti the go between?

Quintana, Nibali and the tifosi will be out for blood!

Obviously it really won't matter if he has the same legs as today, especially not as its basically a monoclimb stage.. but it could still do damage if he has a not so great day as its a really hard climb, especially in the bottom. I called it the Italian Alpe d Huez before, but its probably a lot more similar to PSM.

Ataraxus said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm

I don't understand the reasons why Mollema and S.K. would form alliances with him. Alliances with Zaka, Pinot and Pozzo instead, would make much more sense.
Now that I think about it, the trolling of Nibali and Quintana might have been made to form alliances with the aforement

In the Eurosport Interview he almost literally said "I hope Pinot gets on the podium"

with the current time gaps, Pinot and Zakarin have nothing to gain letting Nibali or Q go. By doing so they won't win and the podium becomes less likely. They'll take their chances against Dumoulin on the MTF, but Nibs and Q invited the rest of the field in the podium battle.

DFA123 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm

Wait, what...? I thought they hated each other. Can't keep up with all the latest gossip in the peloton. Is Visconti the go between?
As Visconti thrash talked Nairo, I really doubt that.

TRENDING THREADS