• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dumoulin said afterwards that he usually already has some problems in spring and they chose with reason to keep the spring as short as possible, like last year. But he said this year nothing has gone right with material problems (Abu Dhabi) followed by ilness (strade bianchi, start Tirreno) and now a crash (tirreno). He's tired and broken. I think they will skip MSR and he will go on a long training camp before LBL/Giro

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Dumoulin said afterwards that he usually already has some problems in spring and they chose with reason to keep the spring as short as possible, like last year. But he said this year nothing has gone right with material problems (Abu Dhabi) followed by ilness (strade bianchi, start Tirreno) and now a crash (tirreno). He's tired and broken. I think they will skip MSR and he will go on a long training camp before LBL/Giro
I doubt he's broken. He's perhaps a little fed up, if this is enough to break him then the attention of the past winter has been getting to him.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nooo.

We need Tom to stretch the peloton thin in MSR. I hoped he'd even attack now with no Matthews.

Tbh... Kelderman looking a lot better than Dumoulin right now. He looks very solid.

I wouldnt say it is over for Dumoulin but he needs a few races with just a good result and feel like things is moving in a good direction. Because Abu Dhabi and Tirreno been awful for him. He looked stressed and frustrated at Abu Dhabi and now a crash... it could just be bad luck but he need to find some momentum in the next races or he will he be lining up at Giro with a few questions still on his mind.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nooo.

We need Tom to stretch the peloton thin in MSR. I hoped he'd even attack now with no Matthews.
It's not like Dumoulin did that much on the Poggio.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dumoulin re-schedules for the TdF now, with a more solid preparation. Given Froome very well might end up at the Vuelta only, I still believe Landa gets scheduled for the Giro after a strong Tour of Basque Country. Basically I truly believe that everything's gonna end up completely different now, than instantly planned for those guys.

So Landa wins the Giro, Dumoulin fights for the Tour with Quintana and Bardet, while Froome probably becomes the favorite to win the Vuelta.

Well, this performance can actually change the way this race will be approached in future years. A solo attack on the Poggio succeeded, and last year three riders stayed away. It's still very hard but with 7 man teams and the finish line in via Roma I think this outcome is actually kind of likely. Someone like Tom (being explosive on short hills and a great TTer) should give it a go in the next few years.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Well, this performance can actually change the way this race will be approached in future years. A solo attack on the Poggio succeeded, and last year three riders stayed away. It's still very hard but with 7 man teams and the finish line in via Roma I think this outcome is actually kind of likely. Someone like Tom (being explosive on short hills and a great TTer) should give it a go in the next few years.
I'm not convinced Dumoulin has the same ability Nibali has past the 6'30 mark, though I have no doubt Dumoulin would beat Nibali in a Poggio ITT every time.

Also, the lack of a chase behind was quite unprecdented, cause basically all domestiques exept for Bahrain's were at the front initially. They all thought "Lol Nibbles solo in this headwind, suuure". If Nibali goes and drags Dumoulin along, every dude able will be on the wheel, and then I think Dumoulin values his health a bit too much to try and follow Nibali on the descent of the Poggio

I think most riders are not attacking on the Poggio exactly because they believe everybody else will chase, while in reality if the atttack is strong and rightly timed most domestiques will be too spent to even think about following and most contenders will look at each other hoping someone else will drag them. Of course I'm not talking about a Sagan/Kwiatkowski/GVA atttack, nobody would give them rope, but an outsider (like Dumoulin is in this race) could have a chance.

I don't think all domestiques thought "lol Nibbles solo in the headwind suuuuure" :D
The only domestiques who could chase him at that point were Oss (tried, didn't gain anything), Impey (no way he brings back Nibali on the Poggio) and Alaphilippe (if you consider him a domestique, but QS probably didn't). Most of the other domestiques had nothing left or were too badly positioned to even try, and this happens every single time on the Poggio if a team pulls hard like Bahrain did with Mohoric.

Again, if someone like Dumoulin (or Wellens in the right conditions) is in top shape and gives it a go on the Poggio, I'm convinced he has a chance.

He could also try it like Cancellara and go in the flat part right after the descent, when they hesitate in the organization.

However, I think it's a pipe dream and Dumoulin won't win MSR anytime soon, if ever. I only realistically give him a chance in LBL/Lombardy and even then he'd have to have the right circumstances. He's not explosive enough against real punchers.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He could also try it like Cancellara and go in the flat part right after the descent, when they hesitate in the organization.

However, I think it's a pipe dream and Dumoulin won't win MSR anytime soon, if ever. I only realistically give him a chance in LBL/Lombardy and even then he'd have to have the right circumstances. He's not explosive enough against real punchers.
I like him for Liege without the Ans finish.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

The problem about winning msr cancellara style is that there hardly ever is hesitation on the last two km because there are always some domestiques of sprinters left. Take this year for example. Sagan stopped chasing trentin and immediately the fdj train came to the front (I think it was fdj)

TRENDING THREADS