• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Forever The Best said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
FYI DFA123, Dumoulin doesn't ride numbers.

He's had numerous interviews, including yesterday and today, saying he rides by feeling. He doesn't like looking at numbers and graphs.
I heard something on Turkish ES that Dumoulin planned his numbers on Zonc for every km before the stage.
Makes sense. At least have a baseline that you know you can definitely maintain, and then, if you're feeling great then you can push it a bit more. The way he rode today suggests he had prepared a pacing strategy pretty carefully.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Climbing said:
He limited the damage as expected.
Having Froome with a miraculous recover is bad news tough, could maybe help Yates indirectly.
I still think it's between Dumoulin and Yates, might end up being decided by bonifications.

If Froome can crack Yates it will help Dumoulin

Climber123 said:
Climbing said:
He limited the damage as expected.
Having Froome with a miraculous recover is bad news tough, could maybe help Yates indirectly.
I still think it's between Dumoulin and Yates, might end up being decided by bonifications.

If Froome can crack Yates it will help Dumoulin

Yates rode very smart today, letting Froome go and only pushing on at a more comfortable distance from the finish. But it will certainly make the race less comfortable for him to not be the clear best climb anymore. Unlikely to make it more comfortable for Tom either.

Brave and gutsy ride by Tom, today. I was impressed. Yates and Froome are on another level, I think, and we'll see that in the time trial. I think Yates loses less than a minute to Tom, and Froome -- well, based on what I saw today, I see Froome winning the time trial. Tom will do great to make the podium, and I think he will take 3rd overall in a great defense.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Glad he beat Pinot. I found it pretty arrogant by Pinot when he was asked who his rivals for the giro was at the start of the race to only mention Froome and Lopez. What about the guy who beat you 12 months ago.

Anyway, he did a good ride today. I think he's getting stronger, the race is beautifully poised really.

Re:

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Glad he beat Pinot. I found it pretty arrogant by Pinot when he was asked who his rivals for the giro was at the start of the race to only mention Froome and Lopez. What about the guy who beat you 12 months ago.

Anyway, he didn't good ride today. I think he's getting stronger, the race is beautifully poised really.

To be fair, it was more just daft of the interviewer to treat Pinot like a favourite - he may not have been expecting the question.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

Anyway, he didn't good ride today. I think he's getting stronger, the race is beautifully poised really.

To be fair, it was more just daft of the interviewer to treat Pinot like a favourite - he may not have been expecting the question.
So you reckon he put no thought prior to the giro who his big rivals are...

I'm probably nitpicking, but I found it arrogant.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

Nah, it was arrogant, I was just taking the chance to note I think he's a flake who will never win a GT.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

Nah, it was arrogant, I was just taking the chance to note I think he's a flake who will never win a GT.
This convo :eek: !

Probably Pinot just named two names that came to mind. And with less TT km, maybe he didn't consider Dumoulin one of the top-2 favorites. But sure, keep kicking the dude.
No clue how you can call him arrogant when he's probably the most humble out of the current top-10.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

This convo :eek: !

Probably Pinot just named two names that came to mind. And with less TT km, maybe he didn't consider Dumoulin one of the top-2 favorites. But sure, keep kicking the dude.
No clue how you can call him arrogant when he's probably the most humble out of the current top-10.
I don't dislike the guy, just found that particular instance to be arrogant. Like I said, I'm probably nitpicking and reading into something that isn't there.

That being said, I think it's ok to criticize comments of riders, we don't always have to heap praise on the riders without it being reflected as bashing the rider. Don't be so sensitive.

Great ride by Tom today. He was only really worse than Froome and Yates, and by not a big margin.
The overall win looks very difficult for him now though.

It's hard to see how he can gain more than 2:20 on Yates in the TT, I fear that he won't even gain 2 minutes. Last year he won by 2:39 ahead of Adam Yates on a 40km TT and it's unlikely that he will ride a better TT than last year and Simon will ride a worse one than what Adam did last year after his crash a couple of days before.

As for the mountainous stages, Yates will continue to chip away some seconds... Maybe some breakaways will be successfull... that would help Tom because the bonus seconds won't help Yates then. I'm thinking that tomorrow is a great stage for a breakaway win.

Anyway the win seems very tough now, but the podium is very likely. Nice Giro so far, keep it up Tom!

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah I think a Giro win is highly unlikely unless Simon Yates collapses in form.

I even think he'll only gain between 1'30 and 2 min in the TT

Its pretty simple, he has to gain time uphill. Which at the moment looks impossible

This.
I wonder why do the betting sites still consider Dumoulin the main favourite.
It seems that Yates has this in the bag unless a big collapse.

kiszol said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah I think a Giro win is highly unlikely unless Simon Yates collapses in form.

Its pretty simple, he has to gain time uphill. Which at the moment looks impossible

This.
Not sure it takes such a big collapse from Yates. He probably still needs to gain some time in the mountain stages to come. If his performance drops just 1-2% after the rest day, then that could be too much. Especially if Froome/Sky train starts putting real pressure on during the climbs.

DFA123 said:
kiszol said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

This.
Not sure it takes such a big collapse from Yates. He probably still needs to gain some time in the mountain stages to come. If his performance drops just 1-2% after the rest day, then that could be too much. Especially if Froome/Sky train starts putting real pressure on during the climbs.

Probably. I just hope that Yates won't collect much more boni seconds in the coming stages because it's very annoying.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Yates said on one of his interviews "At least 2 minutes" if I recall correctly, and on a long flat TT I believe him. I thnk he'll lose between 2 and 2'30, which will set up the rest of the Giro nicely.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I do not understand the blind assumption Yates will lose anything more than 1'30.

It's flat, which is better than rolling terrain to limit the damage, it's only 34km, and Yates is in the form of his life. Expecting him to lose 4km/s is ridiculous.

Very very very roughly based on Zoncolan climbing times Yates should be about 2 km/h slower in the TT. Unfortunately for Dumoulin that does indeed equate to about 90 seconds. So probably it's going to be between 90-120 seconds day form depending.

roundabout said:
Red Rick said:
I do not understand the blind assumption Yates will lose anything more than 1'30.

It's flat, which is better than rolling terrain to limit the damage, it's only 34km, and Yates is in the form of his life. Expecting him to lose 4km/s is ridiculous.

Very very very roughly based on Zoncolan climbing times Yates should be about 2 km/h slower in the TT. Unfortunately for Dumoulin that does indeed equate to about 90 seconds. So probably it's going to be between 90-120 seconds day form depending.

Also corroborated by the 2 TTs last year comparing Tom to Adam (and fair to assume Simon will be a little better now).

TRENDING THREADS