• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Back on topic:

I still believe that Tom Dumoulin can win this bike race. The lost time on Sunday was a blow, no doubt. But he can reasonably sit tomorrow night less than thirty seconds down on the pink jersey, with a ____/ that he can do, a Strade on steroids that could be muddy, nasty, he can climb and ride classics, who knows? The Saturday stage could be tricky, but everybody will be cooked, so it's a lottery.

By the way, flat on the Finestre, should others wait? No one waits in PR...

Until Sunday and the cup, Dumoulin is the champ. And may remain the champ. Can Yates possibly keep riding at this level? Who knows. People need to start attacking him to find out. And that's the tricky thing as you get further and further in a GT. We saw it on Sunday...personal interest, defensive riding often prevails.

Go Tom. Kick some...you know what.

Tom did an interview with MD, and, well, I don't know how on earth he is going to manage this. After the Giro, he'll go on vacation, participate in the Hammer Series, do some altitude training and participate in the Tour de Suisse, before deciding whether to go to the Tour or not. That's too much if you ask me.

And why on earth going to the hammer series too? That will again be 3 super high intensity days. Not exactly perfect for a rest.
If he really does that after the giro he should definitely skip the tour and focus 100% on the vuelta. Not that he had a big chance in the tour anyway

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Tom did an interview with MD, and, well, I don't know how on earth he is going to manage this. After the Giro, he'll go on vacation, participate in the Hammer Series, do some altitude training and participate in the Tour de Suisse, before deciding whether to go to the Tour or not. That's too much if you ask me.
And he should participate at least in 1st part of Footbal WC as goalkeeper, but as Dutch he can't.

Regarding ITT/TTTs: I do miss TTTs in GTs (how's that for abbreviation overload), and I also love when there's a prologue, a hilly ITT and a flat ITT. To me, a Grand Tour should include ALL the disciplines, including team cohesiveness. If you exclude time trials or minimize them, then you might as well get rid of a bunch of rolling or sprint stages, too.

Dumoulin should be able to take 1:30 - 1:45 from Yates today, head- or tailwind, and then hopefully he'll have a chance to attack. We saw yesterday that Pinot and Pozzo probably won't. But we'll see in the next fwe hours!

Dumoulin is very disappointed with his ITT. Started out conservatively as he usually does in long ITTs and then couldn't push through like he normally likes to do.

His goal was either to get pink or win the ITT. He called it an okay ITT, but not one of his better ones.

I think Saturday's climb up the Zonc and Sunday's crazy chase behind Yates may have still been in Tom's legs for the ITT, even after the rest day. True, the other GC guys chasing Yates were in the same boat, but think how deep Dumoulin had to go on Saturday to limit his losses, and then again on Sunday to get back to the small pack chasing Yates. And he still put time into those guys, and Yates, . . . and Froome today. Maybe not as much as he wanted, but when you consider where he's placed right now in the Giro, he's going about as well as he could have expected. (He could not have expected Yates to be so far beyond everyone else's level.)

So will we see Dumoulin attacking, trying to mix it up in the last week to trouble Yates? The terrain and stage design is there for a weaker climber to make like difficult for a stronger one.

Or will he just do what he always does - passively ride at tempo and hope Yates somehow fades?

TRENDING THREADS