• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Disagree with this. The way I see it, Dumoulin descended pretty much in the wheel of Roglic until they caught Majka. Then there was a little gap because Dumoulin did not immediately pass Majka.
Then on the only straight piece of road Roglic went into his tube position and opened a little gap. That only got bigger after that

If Dumoulin passed Majka immediately and went back in Roglic wheel he could not have paced away, motor or not

I rewatched some of it and Dumoulin actually closed the first gap after Roglic opened one up after passing Majka, so Majka had nothing to do with it. The decisive gap opens up with 11k to go, but imo not clear enough to say the moto caused it. Look how aero Roglic is sitting there. Dumo for sure wasn't 'sprinting' when it happened.

Dumoulin powered to victory, very nice ride. He showed why he wears the rainbow jersey. Even after the Giro and the Tour he was able to push himself one more time to win yet another TT in a Grand Tour. A very difficult one. He can be absolutely satisfied with his season.
I must say that maybe Thomas would be able to neat him today but he backed of in the final. But he started strongly so he surely faded at the end anyway. Still, a very good TT from Tom.

Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
jmdirt said:
kiszol said:
Based on that he already rode a successful Giro and came to the Tour with the goal of testing his body on a second consecutive GT. The Giro was the goal of the year, the Tour is the bonus, he said it multiple times. A podium at the TdF is a pretty solid bonus if you ask me. For sure beyond expectation. Absolutely magnificent ride from Tom after that demanding Giro. He handled the fatigue better than Froome, and that says a LOT.

And as others pointed that out, Thomas doesn't really beat Dumoulin even once. It's possible that the difference between the two is smaller than what time Tom can make up on Geraint tomorrow if we take into account that he lost that 50 sec + 20 for penalty and 20 for boni seconds.
Thomas was still better, but the difference is very small, and I'm confident in saying that if they had rode this race with switched teams Tom would've been the winner.
You answered the wrong "based on". I agree that he has been a stud at GTs this year. My based on was why would he lose time to Roglic in a TT?
Because the bookies say so.
...aaand the bookies are wrong.

Tom was brutally strong on that final climb. He raced the TT smartly and won it deservedly.
After losing two mountain top finish stages to Thomas barely it would be hard for him to lose the TT with a minimal margin as well.

odJhjZp.jpg

After seeing the performance in 2018, Dumoulin should focus on one GT only either Giro or the tour. If he not as good as 2017 Giro, it is difficult to win. Also he needs a good team with no secondary targets to at least put the leader into difficulty/make the race hard. They were non existent in the TDF. Considering that the TDF is raced at much higher levels a good team is essential. Cadel lost the 2008 TDF because he had no one to chase Sastre properly.

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
After seeing the performance in 2018, Dumoulin should focus on one GT only either Giro or the tour. If he not as good as 2017 Giro, it is difficult to win. Also he needs a good team with no secondary targets to at least put the leader into difficulty/make the race hard. They were non existent in the TDF. Considering that the TDF is raced at much higher levels a good team is essential. Cadel lost the 2008 TDF because he had no one to chase Sastre properly.

He'll race Tour 2019, no Giro.

Derry said:
IndianCyclist said:

Really missed Kelderman. Geschke and Arndt were great, Kragh Andersen as well.
Add Oomen and you have 5/7 riders for the supporting cast.
Matthews is probably focused on his own goals so maybe he shouldn´t be in the Tour team.
They need to replace Ten Dam with a younger/better climber and add another TT/climbing domestique. Maybe Kämna can grow into that role.

Actually Matthews is really important for the Tour team, especially if there is a TTT

You need people for flatter and inbetween stages as well. As well as people you can send up the road. Matthews is perfect for that

For next year I think it's pretty clear that the Ardennes and the Tour will be main goals

skippo12 said:
Derry said:
IndianCyclist said:

Really missed Kelderman. Geschke and Arndt were great, Kragh Andersen as well.
Add Oomen and you have 5/7 riders for the supporting cast.
Matthews is probably focused on his own goals so maybe he shouldn´t be in the Tour team.
They need to replace Ten Dam with a younger/better climber and add another TT/climbing domestique. Maybe Kämna can grow into that role.
Matthews can work as a good domestique who can sprint for himself in hilly finales, he'll remain the leader in Milan Sanremo, Amstel, share leadership in LBL.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
criteriums, then at least a week rest. Then I think Canadian races and maybe italian race.
He's not going to compete with the dudes coming out of Vuelta though.

And 3 times a peak is hard
This double is a bit of shame in that regard. Probably his only shot at the Worlds RR.

2019 and 2020 will probably both be Tour, with I guess Olympic TT as one of the main goals of 2020

Re:

del1962 said:
Think his team should try at get Gesink as a dom for Tom

It would be nice, yes, but unfortunately Gesing signed a 3 year extension with Lotto-NL Jumbo just a few days ago.
I think maybe Sunweb should try to sign Mollema for next year, he would be a great superdomestique for Tom.
But maybe he is too expensive and a lower profile guy would be enough, preferably one that can TT well and can do some work on the flats as well.

TRENDING THREADS