• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Tbh I think he is dead exhausted and ride's Velon purely because he must. If he didn't he wouldve ended his season I'm pretty sure

After what he achieved he has every right to end his season now or do whatever races he still want to do. It's very possible that he must ride the Hammer series, but maybe he wouldn't ride Lombardia even if mustn't.

Re: Re:

kiszol said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Tbh I think he is dead exhausted and ride's Velon purely because he must. If he didn't he wouldve ended his season I'm pretty sure

After what he achieved he has every right to end his season now or do whatever races he still want to do. It's very possible that he must ride the Hammer series, but maybe he wouldn't ride Lombardia even if mustn't.

Like Spekenbrink and Kemna ever cared for what anyone deserved. The horse will ride what it's told to ride, because the team's sponsors demand it.

With a smile, of course.

GuyIncognito said:
kiszol said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Like Spekenbrink and Kemna ever cared for what anyone deserved. The horse will ride what it's told to ride, because the team's sponsors demand it.

With a smile, of course.
Exactly.

I never understand why people take quotes at face value when they wouldn't say the opposite if it were true.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He was on Dutch TV stating he really wants to go TDF next year and also have a peak in the hilly classics if that is the case. However he did not want to confirm that as a definite because he still says if he doesn't like the TDF route he still might decide differently.
Also talked of how tough it was to do 2 GTs in a row, so it seems it's only the Tour for 2019.

Red Rick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He was on Dutch TV stating he really wants to go TDF next year and also have a peak in the hilly classics if that is the case. However he did not want to confirm that as a definite because he still says if he doesn't like the TDF route he still might decide differently.
Also talked of how tough it was to do 2 GTs in a row, so it seems it's only the Tour for 2019.
Just heard it in the news on SLAM! as well, sounds like pragmatic decision-making IMHO!

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Best doesn't equate to most succesful.

True. Which is why Sagan beyond doubt has been the best rider for the last many years.

If there's a rider around who, in the previous 4 years, has won 3 Tours, a Giro and a Vuelta, in addition to a couple of other GT podiums, by default, they're pretty much the world's best rider, almost regardless of the results of any other rider and how much they're disliked on this forum. That's pretty legendary form, almost for any era. Hell, just a few months ago, he held all GT titles simultaneously.

Not by default, but it takes some serious domination in other races to stand up to that.

It depends on what period where talking, but Froome probably tops the list this decade.

Although actually if we count 2010 then I think there's a solid case for Nibali.

I was just going by Red Rick's admission that the best rider doesn't need to be the most successful.

Nibali has probably been close to the most successful rider of recent years but especially since he stopped being relevant for 80% of the season, he is IMO quite far from claiming the honours of being the best, ability-wise, rider in the peloton.

To me, that's Sagan because he can win on so much different terrain and he is always the reference point of any race he rides (with the recent Worlds as a very rare exception).

Re:

tobydawq said:
I was just going by Red Rick's admission that the best rider doesn't need to be the most successful.

Nibali has probably been close to the most successful rider of recent years but especially since he stopped being relevant for 80% of the season, he is IMO quite far from claiming the honours of being the best, ability-wise, rider in the peloton.

To me, that's Sagan because he can win on so much different terrain and he is always the reference point of any race he rides (with the recent Worlds as a very rare exception).
I don't discount Nibali cause in the biggest races he really does bring it everywhere he can. Minor stage races are the least relevant for me if we're talking best rider in the world. Now this year Nibali is kinda nowhere but if he say podiums Tour and Worlds he's up there.

Best 3 riders of the year are Froome, Dumoulin and Yates for me.

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:

I don't discount Nibali cause in the biggest races he really does bring it everywhere he can. Minor stage races are the least relevant for me if we're talking best rider in the world. Now this year Nibali is kinda nowhere but if he say podiums Tour and Worlds he's up there.

What if Valverde wins Lombardia?

Well in recent times I haven't seen much riders who did 2 GT's (both on podium) + WC TTT, ITT and RR (2x on podium and 4th) so that makes it one of the best riders in this season. But you can't say the best, because it's missing the win. With a bit better judgment in tactics and a shade more luck he could've won at least 2 of them

For me the best rider was Valverde because he did 2 GT's in a row, while also contending for the win in 1, and actually winning the worlds straight after. Plus ofcourse a *** load of wins in the spring.

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:

What if Valverde wins Lombardia?
Then he takes it for me

Red Rick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah Nibali won all GT's + monuments like MSR and Lombardy.

Froome is more of a, sorry to say, 1 trick pony. His wins at GT's and stage races only. And he didn't even do a solid top 10 in a one day race that matters
Never mind solid top 10s, does he even have any top 10s in one day road races?
2007:
8th, Tour du Doubs (1.1)
2008:
3rd, Giro dell'Appennino (1.1)
2009:
4th, National Championships Great Britain R.R.
9th, GP Nobili Rubinetterie - Borgomanero (1.1)

As far as I can tell, none since then.

TRENDING THREADS