• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 147 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For the money Dumoulin would demand I doubt there would be many teams that could take him. Trek have signed Nibali, and Porte has another year on his contract. Don't know if Astana could afford him. Movistar will probably sign Mas. Michelton could probably sign him but they would have let the Yates bros go to do it probably. Not sure what their contract situation is. Think they both got extended.

Well considering how Sunweb was unable to give him proper mountain support for years I wouldn't be surprised if he would leave them. The handling of his knee injury obviously worsens the situation too. There are two main questions to ponder on:

1) How expensive breaking the contract is? What price has Doumolin have to pay should he leave now? He still has 2 or 3 years left of his contract.
2) Which teams needs him and could afford him (also considering the price mentioned in 1)?

As for 1 I have no idea but as far as I know Dumoulin's salary isn't that high (around 2 million €?) so the fee for breaking his contract is probably not that high either.

As for 2 I think Astana, Bahrain, INEOS, BORA, UAE, DD, Lotto, CCC and Katusha would consider signing him. From these teams I think Astana, Bahrain, INEOS, UAE and maybe Katusha could afford him. Astana has proper GC riders in Lopez and Fuglsang so I don't think they would offer a serious bid. So like it or not as I see it it's between Bahrain, INEOS and UAE.

As for INEOS they could definitely afford him but they don't really need him. However as Dumoulin is arguably the biggest threat to INEOS in the GCs they might sign him just to strengthen their position immensely. On the other hand Tom wouldn't go to INEOS in my opinion as he values success higher than money and with INEOS it's highly probable that he wouldn't be able to ride for the GC in the TDF for the next 1-2 years despite that it should be his main target from now on.

So I think Bahrain is the most likely option besides staying at Sunweb for one more year.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
well if you go by TT bike there isn't much choice.
ineos, Jumbo and Quick Step probably

Quick Step would make sense if he was riding the classics otherwise Ineos and Jumbo and maybe Astana. Not sure what is going on with Bahrein, they didn't want to extend Nibali.
Quick Step don't have the money. They're letting Mas go cause he's getting too expensive, buying Dumoulin out isn't something they'll do.

Could be Bahrein want Nibali to target the Tour and Nibali doesn't want to/Nibali asks too much money. Nibs probably makes more than Dumoulin even though he really shouldn't.

Red Rick said:
movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
well if you go by TT bike there isn't much choice.
ineos, Jumbo and Quick Step probably

Quick Step would make sense if he was riding the classics otherwise Ineos and Jumbo and maybe Astana. Not sure what is going on with Bahrein, they didn't want to extend Nibali.
Quick Step don't have the money. They're letting Mas go cause he's getting too expensive, buying Dumoulin out isn't something they'll do.

Could be Bahrein want Nibali to target the Tour and Nibali doesn't want to/Nibali asks too much money. Nibs probably makes more than Dumoulin even though he really shouldn't.
Lefevre doesn't want to overpay. Doesn't mean he doesn't have the money. He's always bitching about it, doesn't mean it's true. If Deceuninck wants to cross the border, it might be a good investment. Evenepoel could learn from him, and if they really want to keep Remco and nurish him into a GT rider, they need to prep the team anyway.

Winnen said:
jaylew said:
Winnen said:
A Dutch newspaper (AD) writes today that Tom is transferring tot Jumbo-Visma. Interesting move if it is true.
Source?

Source:
https://www.ad.nl/wielrennen/huwelijk-met-sunweb-strandt-dumoulin-op-weg-naar-jumbo-visma~a44874db/
They're mentioning a gentlemen's agreement with Sunweb. I have no idea why Sunweb would let Dumoulin go. Also no mention of if it's an immediate thing or for 2020.

Gonna guess Kruijswijk is the biggest loser in that exchange. Roglic only if they can't manage to share leadership

Red Rick said:
Winnen said:
jaylew said:
Winnen said:
A Dutch newspaper (AD) writes today that Tom is transferring tot Jumbo-Visma. Interesting move if it is true.
Source?

Source:
https://www.ad.nl/wielrennen/huwelijk-met-sunweb-strandt-dumoulin-op-weg-naar-jumbo-visma~a44874db/
They're mentioning a gentlemen's agreement with Sunweb. I have no idea why Sunweb would let Dumoulin go. Also no mention of if it's an immediate thing or for 2020.

Gonna guess Kruijswijk is the biggest loser in that exchange. Roglic only if they can't manage to share leadership
Roglic and Dumoulin would be a scary combination tho.. Add Kruijswijk, Bennett, WvA and De Plus to the mix and make it Team Ineos' biggest nightmare.

Re:

Winnen said:
Well... considering that Roglic (team car) pissing incident and weird tactics that team doesn't really ooze with professionalism :eek:
(provided that lack of professionalism is the reason Tom's leaving Sunweb)
But that team would look very impressive on the paper though.

Red Rick said:
Winnen said:
jaylew said:
Winnen said:
Source?

Source:

Still three grand tours to share but the Tour looks like co-leadership otherwise they become Movistar.........

TRENDING THREADS