• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 145 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lexman said:
I read in a sportspaper that even if he can start he won't be in any way able to compete for the GC at the TdF?

I've read nothing to suggest that he can't start the Tour. Riding his bike the next day after the procedure seems a bit stupid, but the fact that he was able to do it, suggests that it's not that bad and he merely needs a bit more recovery time off the bike.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
HelloDolly said:
Leinster said:
Is Matthews set for a serious run at a 2nd green jersey? Because I can’t see Sunweb getting anything worthwhile out of the Tour otherwise.

Stage hunting and Green are possibilities

Stage hunting is.

Green is not (unless Sagan abandons - and yes, I know he beat him today but that happens too rarely).
Without a deep dive into the parcours, Bling is a better climber, so normally you would expect there to be a few intermediate sprints available to him that won’t be to Sagan (certainly not on his California climbing form this year). Also, with van Aert in as a wild card, I feel like there could be a few contenders snatching points from him here and there. The chance is there for a middle-ground sprinter with good breakaway chops to gather up points on stages where we would normally presume that only Sagan could.

roundabout said:
Lexman said:
I read in a sportspaper that even if he can start he won't be in any way able to compete for the GC at the TdF?

I've read nothing to suggest that he can't start the Tour. Riding his bike the next day after the procedure seems a bit stupid, but the fact that he was able to do it, suggests that it's not that bad and he merely needs a bit more recovery time off the bike.
It sounds like he can start the Tour all right, but there’s a big difference between chugging around, contesting a TT or a break stage here and there, and finishing top 50, and actually going for Yellow in Paris. And skipping a training camp in mid-June is not a good foundation for a proper crack at the TdF GC.

tobydawq said:
HelloDolly said:
Leinster said:
Is Matthews set for a serious run at a 2nd green jersey? Because I can’t see Sunweb getting anything worthwhile out of the Tour otherwise.

Stage hunting is.

Green is not (unless Sagan abandons - and yes, I know he beat him today but that happens too rarely).

Getting over the mountain sin the last week is key and Matthew I fancy more for this
Plus Matthews i also very consistent ...it maybe difficult but indeed possible
Plus Matthews can win stages ...which should appease sponsors if Dumoulin cant make it

Leinster said:
tobydawq said:
HelloDolly said:
Leinster said:

Stage hunting is.

Without a deep dive into the parcours, Bling is a better climber, so normally you would expect there to be a few intermediate sprints available to him that won’t be to Sagan (certainly not on his California climbing form this year). Also, with van Aert in as a wild card, I feel like there could be a few contenders snatching points from him here and there. The chance is there for a middle-ground sprinter with good breakaway chops to gather up points on stages where we would normally presume that only Sagan could.

Well, the problem is that Sagan climbed better than Matthews on the second stage of Tour de Suisse and always climbs well and recovers excellently in the Tour (last year, just before his crash, he managed to be among the last 25 in the favourites group on the short stage with the grid start and he finally seems to have refound his climbing legs). Most importantly, he is almost in the top three in the bunch sprints where the big points are, which Matthews only very rarely manages to be - sometimes he even misses the top 10.

Therefore, we may think that Matthews has a theoretical chance, but in reality, the competition will be closed in a week as it always is.