• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hmm reading some other interview were he seems more downcast and less hopefull for the Tour. He really wanted to win the TT even if it was unreal, and he thinks he is further off form than he hoped to be. Also thinks recovery isn't fast enough, ike he could start the Tour but then with little chance of being in great form.

I think there is a very real chance that he might decide in a few weeks to skip the Tour alltogether

I don't see much upside to him starting the tour if his knee isn't 95% better -- ideally he'd be pain-free even if his overall form isn't there. TD is one of the few truly exceptional GT riders and it would be a shame if he came away from this season with zero results. Targeting the Vuelta might be a better idea....of course, having said that we know he can podium in 2 consecutive GTs, so...

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He felt a lot better today and wants to test himself tomorrow. Curious now. He will obviously not be good enough to contend with the best, but if he sticks relatively close it would be a good sign
Will he try to attack and go for a stagewin, or does he want to stick with Yates and co and see if he can follow them?

I mean, he's far enough in GC to attack. But going in a break or solo, might not give him the answers he's looking for.

Re:

Leinster said:
If he goes in the break and finishes before the gc group, that will give him all the answers he could possibly be looking for.

I don't see how. Winning from a breakaway doesn't mean you are ready to follow GC guys. Or should Alaphilippe assume he can go for GC now? That's what i meant. I'm sure he'd be happy with the win, and it would give him a confidence boost, but he'd still not know how he'd fare among GC competitors.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Both options are open. If the situation arises he'll try to go in the break. But if that doesn't work out he might try and hang with the gc men

Ok, thanks.

If he goes to the Tour without cleaning out that knee

SjZVKt884u37GqiuLGetVxkFcCa1PimCk7-Za3ygzw4.gif

jmdirt said:
glassmoon said:
wheresmybrakes said:
He needs to get the knee sorted and stuff the Tour if needs be.
imho until that splinter remains in his knee the irritation will be coming back...
This^. When I read about the splinter I was very surprised that they hadn't taken care of it.
They should have unless it is deep and requires surgery which would keep him out of TDF. Sp maybe other considerations than medical.

Sunweb seems also clueless to what to do. They want to sent them on altitude camp but at the same time they don't know what to do about the splinter.

I think they gambled and lost. They could've removed the splinter, allowed some rest, done TdSuisse and a short altitude camp. Which is not ideal, but surely better than doing Dauphine with a splinter, hope for the best, and then sent him on a long altitude camp.

Now it seems to me 90% he isn't going to do the Tour. And if he is, he'll be in no TDF winning form. Heck, even top 10 would be hard. And Dumo doesn't ride for top 10's.
So Sunweb's handling of this case might just have cost him a large part of the summer. Pretty stupid