• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting. I guess that Thomas comes across as a reasonably likeable guy. It's the 'believeability' of his transformation I suppose that irks people.

Also interesting because you have spoken of your desire for Dumoulin to be allowed to attack on maybe the last half a dozen stages!
Nibali and Zomegnan weren't there.

I rooted for Dumoulin in 2017 Giro but haven't rooted for Dumo over Nibs since.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Nibali and Zomegnan weren't there.

I rooted for Dumoulin in 2017 Giro but haven't rooted for Dumo over Nibs since.

Speaking of Nibs, I think that the biggest challenge for this forum is going to be when he retires. I thought that Contador's loss was big, but I think this will be another step up from that (partly because Nibali still racing helped to ease the pain of Contador retiring for a lot of fans); so many of the major contributors on these boards hold him so close to their hearts, that I think a lot of interest (and posts, which come from many of the best posters) could be lost after he retires.

Then again, there are always new cyclists to adopt as heroes and villains, and along with that, new forum members.

Reactions: Red Rick
Speaking of Nibs, I think that the biggest challenge for this forum is going to be when he retires. I thought that Contador's loss was big, but I think this will be another step up from that (partly because Nibali still racing helped to ease the pain of Contador retiring for a lot of fans); so many of the major contributors on these boards hold him so close to their hearts, that I think a lot of interest (and posts, which come from many of the best posters) could be lost after he retires.

Then again, there are always new cyclists to adopt as heroes and villains, and along with that, new forum members.
Yeah it'll be sad. Nibs and Contador have had their different charms in a way that makes me appreciate both even more.

But the post-Nibs era doesn't register with me nearly as much as the impending end of the Big 4 in tennis. That is gonna wretch some noggins

Yeah it'll be sad. Nibs and Contador have had their different charms in a way that makes me appreciate both even more.

But the post-Nibs era doesn't register with me nearly as much as the impending end of the Big 4 in tennis. That is gonna wretch some noggins
Sinner + Musetti era incoming :cool:

Back to Dumo, I think he lost a serious shot at a top5 with his antics in the first mountain stages. He might still win the ITT though.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick

Well, that era probably should have ended a long time ago! (And it did if you discount Murray)

So you - and they - have done very well.

If Dominic can defeat Rafa at Roland Garros then that might officially do it.

Youngster Kuss is only 4 years younger i believe, and i doubt Kuss will ever be a GT contender. Don't expect van Aert to take that step anytime soon either, maybe in a few years in case he 'd have won the classics he'd have liked to win. And even then. Foss is no GT material. Bennett clearly isn't either, Kruijswijk is a lot older, De Plus is moving away.

So it's only Roglic for the next 2 or 3 years, and that means he would always ride at least one GT as an undisputed leader, if he so chooses. Also, i think what we've seen from Roglic this TDF, is the best we'll ever see him, which is not the case for Dumoulin.
this, I think based on his construction he has no chance in TTs

I can't really think of any young gun that will be ready for that role in the near future, that isn't tied up already. Unless you're talking about guys like Lopez or Yates?

If he improves a bit, and Roglic isn't as good as this year (which is likely, because i don't think he'll ever be this good again) i could easily see him go toe to toe with Roglic and share leadership.
based on what ? He has improved every year since turning pro, I dd bet he will be even better, if you buy your first bike at 22 there is still a lot of untapped potential

Sinner + Musetti era incoming :cool:

Back to Dumo, I think he lost a serious shot at a top5 with his antics in the first mountain stages. He might still win the ITT though.
Yeah maybe he lost a shot at the top 5, but he probably lost 90 seconds max unnecessarily? It's weird how massive the gaps in GC are further down while they're actually really small in the top 7 or so.

Still, I favor Roglic and maybe even Van Aert if he goes for it in the ITT over Dumoulin. Roglic' disappointing ITTs have been when he was fading in GTs or due to clear reason (2018), now he's still flying and Dumoulin isn't in top form.

I just really like to take it slow on young tennis player hype these days lol though Musetti played some great tennis

based on what ? He has improved every year since turning pro, I dd bet he will be even better, if you buy your first bike at 22 there is still a lot of untapped potential
There is a limit to what your body can do, regardless of when you bought your first bike and regardless of having made constant progress in the past. He had been a trained athlete before cycling, he didn't start from zero. He'll be 31 next year. He was extremely good this year compared to last year and compared to other top contenders. I can't see him doing better than this year. That's simply what i think.

There is a limit to what your body can do, regardless of when you bought your first bike and regardless of having made constant progress in the past. He had been a trained athlete before cycling, he didn't start from zero. He'll be 31 next year. He was extremely good this year compared to last year and compared to other top contenders. I can't see him doing better than this year. That's simply what i think.
I guess we will see... the training betwen the 2 sports is completely different

So the schedule for Dumo after the Tour is

• Worlds ITT
  • Worlds RR
  • AGR
  • Vuelta a España

They were always thinking about doing the double with Dumoulin cause he's lacked so much racing, but they're also gonna evaluate depending on his freshness, but as he's been getting better throughout the Tour, he's probably gonna be fine to do both.

Roglic won't do a 2nd GT this year.

Reactions: Luthor

So the schedule for Dumo after the Tour is

• Worlds ITT
  • Worlds RR
  • AGR
  • Vuelta a España
They were always thinking about doing the double with Dumoulin cause he's lacked so much racing, but they're also gonna evaluate depending on his freshness, but as he's been getting better throughout the Tour, he's probably gonna be fine to do both.

Roglic won't do a 2nd GT this year.

I wonder if Rogla will be tempted to do the RvV, because if he doesn't he basically only has 4 one day races left to the season. Tom will do the Vuelta, though there are A LOT of MTFs again this year. Tourmalet, Angliru, Ancares and many others. Seems more of a Carapaz kind of route. I do not think Froome will do anything. Movistar will also be dangerous.

TRENDING THREADS