• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 167 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Judging by his interview, I think Dumo is gonna do a bike switch too. Basically implied the only advantage of not switching is not having to stress about the bike change. Has no idea where he's at in the ITT.

He seemed really happy for his Kragh winning today and for Sunweb doing a good Tour. Said he didn't leave there on a good note but it wasn't due to the riders.
He didn't switch for his world title, did he? IIRC, he was one of the few.

What is the record for bike switches in TTs? At WT/WC level anyway; I imagine there isn't a huge sample size, but it feels to me like, in general, the ones who have opted for the bike change have come off worse, than just sticking to one bike and maintaining your rhythm on it.

Obviously, this won't apply to WvA, for whom a bike change every lap will come as second nature.

Reactions: Big Doopie
He didn't switch for his world title, did he? IIRC, he was one of the few.

What is the record for bike switches in TTs? At WT/WC level anyway; I imagine there isn't a huge sample size, but it feels to me like, in general, the ones who have opted for the bike change have come off worse, than just sticking to one bike and maintaining your rhythm on it.

Obviously, this won't apply to WvA, for whom a bike change every lap will come as second nature.
IIRC of the top finishers in Bergen only Roglic did a bike change. And they had a mandatory position for the bike change.

I basically expect everyon who matters to do a bike change tomorrow

2013 Froome used a bike change to beat Contador, who did not do a bike change, in a Tour TT. https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/23347837
Ah. I remembered that the other way around for some reason.

It's worth noting, that that bike change was in the opposite direction. Froome finished the climb, and changed for the descent, Tomorrow's will be changing to a lighter bike at the foot of the climb. I'd think it would be harder to get a rhythm back going from the bottom, up, than it would be from the top going down.

I wonder where the bike change would be, because it's a straight road to start the climb and the first hairpin is quite far from the start

Like Quintana in the Grappa MTT, a bit into the climb:
View: https://youtu.be/MZmArIPnTOg?t=5767

That's just about where it gets steep after 9 km:
stage-19-profile.jpg

Last edited:
Good performance today. 1st non-alien.

All jokes aside. I think he looks good for the world ITT. No joke. If he rests well.

agreed he will be in the mix for the world tt. Is WVA doing the TT or focusing on the RR.
Other than Tom obviously Dennis will be a huge threat. Ganna will be difficult to beat if he can tranlsate hia T-A form to a longer TT (questionable given his skill set but very possible). Also difficult the level of those using TA like warm up races for the world/Giro and those coming from the Tour, who whilst being fatigued will be carrying the Tour form.

Very interesting interview with Dutch TV after the paris stage today. He said that he was close to quitting the sport with the long time off.

He said that in yesterdays TT he was pushing world championship watts, and that there is no way he would get close to pogacar, still gave a pretty shocked look considering the gap to Pogi.

That just cements to me how huge the Pogacar performance was yesterday.

Very interesting interview with Dutch TV after the paris stage today. He said that he was close to quitting the sport with the long time off.

He said that in yesterdays TT he was pushing world championship watts, and that there is no way he would get close to pogacar, still gave a pretty shocked look considering the gap to Pogi.

That just cements to me how huge the Pogacar performance was yesterday.
When did he imply he was close to quitting?

"Dumoulin rode similar values to his winning Bergen Worlds TT ride yesterday (still lost 1:20). Says reaching that level is impossible for him. If this is new normal, he's never going to win another TT"

That confirms what Zeeman was saying with Rogla having the same watts on the flat part as he did in the Vuelta TT last year (okay, the climb this year was worse, but still) which probably means simmilar to what he did when he was 2nd behind Tom in Bergen 2017. But Pogačar was just three steps ahead.

Reactions: JosephK
"Dumoulin rode similar values to his winning Bergen Worlds TT ride yesterday (still lost 1:20). Says reaching that level is impossible for him. If this is new normal, he's never going to win another TT"

He's such a melodramatic bore. There was one guy who beat him yesterday and now 'he's never going to win another TT'.

The reason he might not win another one, is because he's so mentally fragile, not to do with his watts.

He's such a melodramatic bore. There was one guy who beat him yesterday and now 'he's never going to win another TT'.

The reason he might not win another one, is because he's so mentally fragile, not to do with his watts.
He finished the race, so he's officially mentally strong now.

Unlike 2019 when he was extremely mentally fragile in his knee after he was mentally crashed down by mental Pucchio

TRENDING THREADS