• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 177 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The eight-day Tour of Switzerland, which starts in Frauenfeld on Sunday, June 6th, will be the first race Dumoulin will start. After that, he will ride both the Dutch time trial championships (on June 16th in Emmen) and the Dutch road race championships (on June 20th at the VAM berg).
Dumoulin now wants to focus on the Olympic time trial in Tokyo which takes place on July 28th.

All-in for Tokyo ! :) Amazing news .

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
LOL @ the lack of enthusiasm on their part. "Back in the peloton. First race TdS. Read more here."

It's a good thing I think. If they now treat it like THE event they will only put on pressure. And he could still decide to quit again after all.

Anyway, really nice and surprising news. With this schedule he must have kept his shape quite well.

My first question would be if he wants to be a GC rider again, or ride like the guy he was before 2016? I wonder if that's what made him lose the will and joy. Anyway, great news. Very curious about where he stands though. Has he been riding a lot, or has he been sitting in the couch for months? I also wonder if covid lockdowns gave him the needed nudge.
That's also my question, I could see him no longer wanting to deal with the pressure/stress of having to ride for gc for 3 weeks. Of course that probably means taking a paycut, but he has been on a seven figure salary for multiple seasons, so I can't see money being a problem for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Zonneveld says it is clear that Dumoulin will only want to be a TT/Stage hunter anymore ('the rider he was in 2016'). I can imagine this to be true but I do wonder what his source on that is. Of course Dumoulin has to do what he wants to do but would be sad to give up an Indurain-type for another Tony Martin-type.

p.s.: Don't hate on me comparing Dumoulin to Indurain. I never watched Indurain okay they just seem similar.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Zonneveld says it is clear that Dumoulin will only want to be a TT/Stage hunter anymore ('the rider he was in 2016'). I can imagine this to be true but I do wonder what his source on that is. Of course Dumoulin has to do what he wants to do but would be sad to give up an Indurain-type for another Tony Martin-type.

p.s.: Don't hate on me comparing Dumoulin to Indurain. I never watched Indurain okay they just seem similar.
Won't stop the Dutch from asking about when he's gonna win the Tour every 5 minutes.

Figured this might happen. Should be great if just finds his love for the sport again. The problem with stagehunting would be being on the wrong team for that though

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Very happy with his return! But Tom as a stage hunter..... Did you see how much effort Mohoric did yesterday to prevent Mollema from joining the break? With Tom that will be even more so I think. He has just too much quality.

Most important is obviously for Tom to find his love for professional racing a again. Let us hope he succeeds in that.

TRENDING THREADS