• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Surprised we don't have a thread on the young lad.

Signed for Ineos as of March 2021 IIRC. Looking forward to seeing what he is going to do at Ineos.

This year he won the Baby Giro including 3 stages. One taking in the Mortirolo.

Last year he was on course for having a strong Tour de L'Avenir until a nasty crash. He also took a win the PR Juniors.

What sort of races he will be put in etc. LBL sort of rider?

Seems to be slowly building up his cross season for the worlds in late Jan.
In an interview with Het Nieuwsblad, over the next 3 years he says he will do at least 10 cross races a season (Which is a shame, as I'd like to see him fully focus on cross at least one season)
His objectives for the road are Strade Bianche and then Amstel, Fleche and Liege. Says he loves gravel atm but he is currently too light to compete in the cobbled classics but wants to do them at some point in the future....also no grand tour this year as after the ardennes his focus will turn to the XCO at the Olympics (his lap times were up with, if not faster than the elites at the U23 worlds) I'm sure he would have liked to do Yorkshire, but as that's been cancelled, I can see him coming back after the olympics to trying to win the Tour of Britain before starting cross again.

Last edited:
Pidcock is like a Swiss army knife, and i think i said some time in the past, that he is the only more versatile rider i can think of than van der Poel. The problem for pidcock however, is that i'm still not convinced he won't be jack of all trades, master of none. He climbs very well, but there are better climbers (he's only +/- 8 months younger than Pog i believe). He time trials well, but at the Euro U23 he didn't even make the podium. He's good at CX, but other than 2020 WCC, he is generally fighting for a spot between 5th and 10th (and so far this season not even that). He's also proved himself in MTB and on the track, but i'm not sure he'll be winner at an elite level.

I guess that's what's interesting about him. He's difficult to compare, also because he chose to compete in the U23 ranks for longer than the other big talents of his generation. So i'm wondering if he will truly pick one thing to excel at. I think he would be great at 1 week stageraces with an ITT and i would also like to see him at Fleche Wallonne.

Pidders? Seriously?

Is he going to follow the list of pathetic nicknames for Brit cyclists?
Froomey, G, Cav, Wiggo

Italy - Squalo
Spain - Bala, Pistolero, Purito

How about Leviathan of Leeds?
For God's sake we need something...
Well the Limpet from Leeds sounds more like an insult and the Chevin Chimney doesn't really fit, considering his hight.

Plus we have things like the Manx Missile for Cav and probably other for the others. Anyway it's more of a English language thing to refer to people colloquially by their surnames and abbreviate them or call them something like Wiggo or Smithy

Reactions: Sandisfan
Surprised we don't have a thread on the young lad.

Signed for Ineos as of March 2021 IIRC. Looking forward to seeing what he is going to do at Ineos.

This year he won the Baby Giro including 3 stages. One taking in the Mortirolo.

Last year he was on course for having a strong Tour de L'Avenir until a nasty crash. He also took a win the PR Juniors.

What sort of races he will be put in etc. LBL sort of rider?

I don't know if it really means anything but Remco = 171cm, 61kg. Pidcock = 170cm, 58kg.

Being so light you'd think he'd gravitate towards the Ardennes rather than the flat side of the classics and yet as you pointed out, like Pedersen, Stuyven and van Keirsbulck, he won Junior P-R, and like Hushovd, Teunissen, Phinney and Ganna he won U23 P-R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS