Tone deaf award of the month for Cadel

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
86TDFWinner said:
Agreed. Indurain acts as if he's immune to it, and talks to folks like they're stupid if they bring it up. Same w/Merckx, how either can comment on wanting the sport to be clean, when both have admitted it, is just lost on me. Glad LeMond has been shown to be a clean rider(probably the last "clean" TDF winner). Greg deserves MUCH praise for not caving into the masses and staying clean.


Again, just my opinion.
Yes, I would have thought Merckx had earned lifetime immunity.

But, he has acted like such an idiot, moreso than normal, with respect to Lance this past year he deserves to be stripped of at least one yellow just for that.

How can you be the greatest cyclist ever while protecting the greatest fraud ever?

It doesn't compute.

Dave.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
What Cadel was saying was that the long break after the TDF, that Lance often took, made him more fresh over the Winter going into the new season. Silly to use Lance's name but it was an innocent comparison.
gert wilders
free speech
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
86TDFWinner said:
Yes, Indurain, Merckx, Coppi, Evans, Fignon, everyone. Why should dopers reap the benefits of being in the record books alongside clean riders/winners? If its fair for them to strip Wonderboy, and Landis, etc, then ALL dopers should be stripped and banned as well. Just my opinion

Notice how no one talks about stripping/banning those gentlemen, wonder why that is?
damn good point.

good to strip floyd. strip them all.

at yellow rose
 
Mar 17, 2009
1,863
0
0
Dear Wiggo said:
He definitely has a sense of humour. And is far more intelligent than many give him credit, I believe.

Aussie humour tends to be understated / self-deprecating.
A former colleague of mine raced with him several years ago in Australia and found he was the antithesis of pretty much everything "Australian". Dour, humourless & antisocial.

At best it's a poor choice of words, at the other end of the scale it's something else.

Either way, as was mentioned up thread, he shouldn't look at a career in PR when he hangs up his wheels.
 
Mar 17, 2009
1,863
0
0
86TDFWinner said:
Yes, Indurain, Merckx, Coppi, Evans, Fignon, everyone. Why should dopers reap the benefits of being in the record books alongside clean riders/winners? If its fair for them to strip Wonderboy, and Landis, etc, then ALL dopers should be stripped and banned as well. Just my opinion

Notice how no one talks about stripping/banning those gentlemen, wonder why that is?
Coppi? By that measure we should start rescinding driving licences for people who drove over 70mph when the M1 opened in 1959, despite the speed limit only being brought into effect in 1965.
 
Feb 8, 2013
59
0
8,680
I respect that opinion, I'm a bit torn on it to be honest but it would probably be another minor deterrent.
With regards to Lance, they didn't strip him from before they proved his doping eg WC/SS/FW, though those wins are blatantly tainted.

86TDFWinner said:
Yes, Indurain, Merckx, Coppi, Evans, Fignon, everyone. Why should dopers reap the benefits of being in the record books alongside clean riders/winners? If its fair for them to strip Wonderboy, and Landis, etc, then ALL dopers should be stripped and banned as well. Just my opinion

Notice how no one talks about stripping/banning those gentlemen, wonder why that is?
 
ultimobici said:
Coppi? By that measure we should start rescinding driving licences for people who drove over 70mph when the M1 opened in 1959, despite the speed limit only being brought into effect in 1965.

Doesnt matter when they did it. Wonderboy did so for over a decade, and it took equally as long(or longef) to bust him. My point has been why should Wonderboy, and Landis be "stripped" and yet we somehow accept or "overlook" the others past indiscretions of the same thing? Is it because they're cycling "legends"? cycling is a sport of honor based on its foundation. Merckx/Indurain/Delgado/Evans etc., KNOWINGLY broke that honor, or merit system for their own sucesses, then come out and talk about wanting the sport to be "clean", yet somehow seem to conveniently forget they did the same thing, that's hypocrisy. You cant pick and choose who gets banned and who doesnt, it makes you, the system, and the sport less credible. Others will bring it up, how do you justify it for a few and not all? you cant.
 
ljpoyz said:
I respect that opinion, I'm a bit torn on it to be honest but it would probably be another minor deterrent.
With regards to Lance, they didn't strip him from before they proved his doping eg WC/SS/FW, though those wins are blatantly tainted.
Yes, but as of now my friend, they HAVE stripped Wonderboy of ALL TDF wins and results, due to his admission of doping. Yet, when anyone asks Indurain, or Merckx about if they did, they change the subject or(and Ive heard/read where they've said this to folks) they "dont want to get into that, not about me". Then how can either comment on something, they themselves took part in, yet refuse to address? They should be stripped too IMO. How do you clean up the sport, if you have some of the biggest named(and admitted) dopers still in the record books, claiming wins they didn't earn?
 
Feb 8, 2013
59
0
8,680
I agree with your sentiments, although I tend to think it would be an impossible task to accurately decided who was doping in the past to remove the results (unless it is believed the winners of all major races received "help").

Lance's TDFs were removed after the reasoned decision, before his admission, but I get your point, he is just one of many.

86TDFWinner said:
Yes, but as of now my friend, they HAVE stripped Wonderboy of ALL TDF wins and results, due to his admission of doping. Yet, when anyone asks Indurain, or Merckx about if they did, they change the subject or(and Ive heard/read where they've said this to folks) they "dont want to get into that, not about me". Then how can either comment on something, they themselves took part in, yet refuse to address? They should be stripped too IMO. How do you clean up the sport, if you have some of the biggest named(and admitted) dopers still in the record books, claiming wins they didn't earn?
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
rata de sentina said:
Evans says some pretty cryptic things and is very difficult to 'read'. Hard to know just what he is one about sometimes.
Lol.

Does anyone have a link to the interview? Pretty stupid remarks by Cadel if you ask me.
 
Jul 17, 2012
5,303
0
0
86TDFWinner said:
Doesnt matter when they did it. Wonderboy did so for over a decade, and it took equally as long(or longef) to bust him. My point has been why should Wonderboy, and Landis be "stripped" and yet we somehow accept or "overlook" the others past indiscretions of the same thing? Is it because they're cycling "legends"? cycling is a sport of honor based on its foundation. Merckx/Indurain/Delgado/Evans etc., KNOWINGLY broke that honor, or merit system for their own sucesses, then come out and talk about wanting the sport to be "clean", yet somehow seem to conveniently forget they did the same thing, that's hypocrisy. You cant pick and choose who gets banned and who doesnt, it makes you, the system, and the sport less credible. Others will bring it up, how do you justify it for a few and not all? you cant.
His point was it was against the rules/illegal when Coppi was taking La Bomba. Amphetamine and Cocaine were far more prevalent through out society and used as pick me up. There was lots of it around post-war too.

They starting banning PEDs like amphetamine in the mid-1960s, Anquetil was deeply unimpressed but the necessity was brought home by Simpson's death on the Mt Ventoux. Anecdotally it seems Simpson was using the drug almost constantly, recreationally as well.

Always loved that quote from Coppi. He was asked if he took 'la bomba' and replied 'when I need it'. The journalist asks him 'and when is that?' to which he says 'all the time'.
 
Dec 27, 2010
6,674
0
0
Ferminal said:
Talking about his 1+1.
Surely if you want to dope and win the Tour, LA is a good role model?
That was still when his career was over though.
 
Sep 24, 2012
46
0
0
martinvickers said:
Cadel recently did an interview after the tour of oman, it's on the front of this site, and in it he came out with this gem.



Seriously, Cadel? Seriously?

I know some of the Wiggins and Froome interviews send people bananas around here, and sometimes rightfully so, lets be honest, but this, this takes some beating for sheer tone deafness, surely?
OH jesus I saw this as well and just shook my head.

Almost as big a clanger as Hushovd's the other day (from CN):
"When asked if he had ever doped, the Norwegian replied, “The only thing I can say is that I know that I'm sitting here with a clear conscience. Meanwhile, people who have doped said the same thing before, but in my head, and here I have it safe and fine,” pointing to his heart."

What!?? "here I have it safe and fine"?? Seriously, Thor? Seriously? Yes or f#%#g no?
 
auscyclefan94 said:
What Cadel was saying was that the long break after the TDF, that Lance often took, made him more fresh over the Winter going into the new season. Silly to use Lance's name but it was an innocent comparison.
That would make sense if only Armstrong was mentioned, but he referenced Jalabert too. And Jaja only took a break and came back stronger after that 1994 crash, which suggests the reference to Armstrong also goes along the same lines, especially since Evans was allegedly dealing with health problems in 2012 too.
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
hrotha said:
And Jaja only took a break and came back stronger after that 1994 crash
Or like Toni Rominger, isn't he Cadel's agent, who came back strong after his hay fever.

When it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, well, you fill in the blanks.
 
Jul 9, 2010
127
0
0
86TDFWinner said:
Doesnt matter when they did it.
Yes, it does matter. Doping became an organized event in the 80-ies, and EPO/blooddoping was a gamechanger. Before the 80-ies, it was a level playing field. If A and B were equally capable when clean, they remained their equals when doped. With EPO/blooddoping, that's no longer true. What's more, you'd have to be pretty stupid to die from the old dope (Simpson died from a combination of speed, alcohol, and dehydration). EPO has already killed tens of riders, who knows how many died from blooddoping. That's where the differences are.
 
I may be in a minority of one here, but here goes.:eek:

Cadel raced against Lance & others

He knows that whatever cheating Lance got up to, he was still a formidable opponent; one he could learn from, with necessarity having to cheat himself.

The trouble is, whenever Lances name comes up, everyone goes into the red zone. Same as USPS, yet there is a lot that can be learnt from their way of riding that has little or nothing to do with doping.

In this case, Cadel was talking about his need for a proper break and the benefit that has done him (and others before). I don´t have a problem with that, and I like the way Cadel speaks from his heart in an unfiltered way. These guys are cyclists: they are not trained in media/politics.

Overall, we need more honest openness from our cyclists; and less PR bull**** or omerta.

There: got that off my chest!;)
 
Dec 13, 2012
1,859
0
0
coinneach said:
I may be in a minority of one here, but here goes.:eek:

Cadel raced against Lance & others

He knows that whatever cheating Lance got up to, he was still a formidable opponent; one he could learn from, with necessarity having to cheat himself.

The trouble is, whenever Lances name comes up, everyone goes into the red zone. Same as USPS, yet there is a lot that can be learnt from their way of riding that has little or nothing to do with doping.

In this case, Cadel was talking about his need for a proper break and the benefit that has done him (and others before). I don´t have a problem with that, and I like the way Cadel speaks from his heart in an unfiltered way. These guys are cyclists: they are not trained in media/politics.

Overall, we need more honest openness from our cyclists; and less PR bull**** or omerta.

There: got that off my chest!;)
Of course their way of riding had everything to do with doping!
 
arjanh said:
Yes, it does matter. Doping became an organized event in the 80-ies, and EPO/blooddoping was a gamechanger. Before the 80-ies, it was a level playing field. If A and B were equally capable when clean, they remained their equals when doped. With EPO/blooddoping, that's no longer true. What's more, you'd have to be pretty stupid to die from the old dope (Simpson died from a combination of speed, alcohol, and dehydration). EPO has already killed tens of riders, who knows how many died from blooddoping. That's where the differences are.
Then how come Indurain and Delgado get a "pass", BOTH won in the 80's and 90's timeframe you mentioned? not out of the question to strip Indurain of his 5 considering what we now know(& he's basically admitted to). IMO, neither Delgado, nor especially Indurain should be allowed to keep their titles, again my opinion.
 
86TDFWinner said:
Then how come Indurain and Delgado get a "pass", BOTH won in the 80's and 90's timeframe you mentioned? not out of the question to strip Indurain of his 5 considering what we now know(& he's basically admitted to). IMO, neither Delgado, nor especially Indurain should be allowed to keep their titles, again my opinion.
If you start doing that without any regard to the rules about SOL and proven offenses, it does become the witchhunt Armstrong was complaining about.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
coinneach said:
I may be in a minority of one here, but here goes.:eek:

Cadel raced against Lance & others

He knows that whatever cheating Lance got up to, he was still a formidable opponent; one he could learn from, with necessarity having to cheat himself.

The trouble is, whenever Lances name comes up, everyone goes into the red zone. Same as USPS, yet there is a lot that can be learnt from their way of riding that has little or nothing to do with doping.

In this case, Cadel was talking about his need for a proper break and the benefit that has done him (and others before). I don´t have a problem with that, and I like the way Cadel speaks from his heart in an unfiltered way. These guys are cyclists: they are not trained in media/politics.

Overall, we need more honest openness from our cyclists; and less PR bull**** or omerta.

There: got that off my chest!;)
Yeah, Armstrong had a 'proper' break, he had cancer, that really aids recovery:rolleyes:

He could've compared his break to LeMonds, he could've picked other less known dopers if he didn't want to go for LeMond, but to quote the biggest doper and Jalabert was stupid and if he was speaking from the heart and honestly it shows he has no problems with dopers
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
hrotha said:
If you start doing that without any regard to the rules about SOL and proven offenses, it does become the witchhunt Armstrong was complaining about.
They could always 'do a Bjarne'.

Spill the beans. Nothing more. Just say, 'hey, I used EPO, HGH, Testo, PFC, insuline and I am ashamed on having done it'.

Redemption for the masses.
Benotti69 said:
He could've compared his break to LeMonds
Sharp B69.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS