• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tone deaf award of the month for Cadel

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ShrubberyBlue said:
Only dopers want to be like other dopers

Careful with this kind of name calling. Sure, the athlete has a role in doping, but the sport's administration has a far bigger role.

Knowing what we know now thanks to Ashenden's feud with the UCI, coupled with the "Index of Suspicion" list where Armstrong and Evans get the same score, is enough for me to conclude Evans has a doping program. It doesn't look as good as Froome's though!

Evans, like Landis or Ullrich and unlike an Armstrong seems to keep the doping to himself.

martin, you are totally correct, it IS the tone deaf award of the month...unless someone else says something even more stupid....which in cycling is a distinct possibility lol.

I (like most of us I suppose) have been very annoyed and somewhat bewildered at the almost complete lack of comment from the main players of the peleton regarding Armstrongs conviction and then confession on #DOPRAH. Especially Evans as the senior statesman. Extremely disappointed in fact.

I don't know the context of this particular comment, but it doesn't really matter. To merely allude to Armstrong returning to cycling post cancer let alone as a better rider is the most ludicrous stupid moronic comment possible given both aspects were only achieved by the greatest team based systematic doping program in cycling history. Orchestrated by Armstrong himself.

This lack of comprehension, and complete silence on #DOPRAH, is worrying at best

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Hands up if you think Evans never doped?

Noone?

Right then. WTF is there left to talk about.

If only the extremely patriotic, small island dwellers would grace us the same brevity when it comes to Wiggins et al.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:

Noone?

If only the extremely patriotic, small island dwellers would grace us the same brevity when it comes to Wiggins et al.

careful you don't hurt yourself making those leaps of logic....

Dear Wiggo said:

Noone?

There is at least one out there somewhere. Unfortunately. But, your point is well taken.

Evans is a dope.

If he weren't on PEDs, he could audition as the poster child for Reefer Madness. He doesn't even need to be in an addled state to qualify. And, of course Wiggo and Phelps are ahead in that race.

Dave.

Ferminal said:
People don't look at Ullrich's veiled admission as a stupid comment.

Or Cunego's.

This is not, I think, meant to be a veiled admission. If it is, it's handled in a very tactless way, especially as it would draw the implication that he is still doping and that Lance is still something to be imitated. That would be stupid beyond belief. Because even if he is suggesting that he hasn't always been squeaky clean, then there are ways to do it that do much less PR damage than deliberately conflating yourself with a guy now seen as the biggest fraud in this and potentially any sport and whose public image is now toxic to the point where people have to put on Hazmat suits to defend him.

Yeh I agree I doubt it was intended it just came out like that. I still think though that unless he actually is clean, the words have a fair amount of truth in them. Don't think there's an actual fallout to it though considering Farrand didn't even call him out on it in the article. A bit of a brouhaha on twitter and forums isn't anything new.

Dear Wiggo said:
He definitely has a sense of humour. And is far more intelligent than many give him credit, I believe.

Aussie humour tends to be understated / self-deprecating.

Yes not much humour on here. Either Evans just grabbed those two names without thinking which was unfortunate or he was baiting a few people to see if it was picked up. At the time I though it was odd but if he had said Contador and Vino would the effect have been any diffferent ?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
movingtarget said:
Yes not much humour on here. Either Evans just grabbed those two names without thinking which was unfortunate or he was baiting a few people to see if it was picked up. At the time I though it was odd but if he had said Contador and Vino would the effect have been any diffferent ?

Personally WISH he had have said Wiggins and Froome.

:eek:

Would have produced a singularity here though, so probably good he didn't.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
The obvious implication of his comment is that he is going to dope like mad this year to win the tour. The only reason he would say that is if wants to be caught so I find it hard to believe he deliberately implied that.

So perhaps he thinks that Lance's comeback was inspiring even though he was a doper and he can take something from the comeback apart from doping. No idea what he could be thinking about.

Or maybe he is implying because he is clean he will not come back. The only way to possibly comeback is to dope and he fail because he won't.
Perhaps he and BMC know he has no chance of coming back (doped or clean) and TVG is being prepared in private to be the leader. Evans is going to be the public face of BMC pretending to go to the Tour as leader with the hope of winning to keep pressure off TVG. In the race he will work for TVG.

movingtarget said:
...Evans just grabbed those two names without thinking which was unfortunate or he was baiting a few people to see if it was picked up...

Dear Wiggo said:
Personally WISH he had have said Wiggins and Froome. :eek:

Now that you mention it the comment now makes perfect sense :D

"Cycling is very intense and so some time away gives you perspective and lets you reflect about how you do your job, how you handle the physical and the mental approach, all the factors that go into your performance. The new energy helps you go back and make thinks better. Guys like Sir Wiggo and Froomie came back as better riders after they took a break.

I hope the same happens to me."

TRENDING THREADS