• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tone deaf award of the month for Cadel

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Evans should feel lucky he's made a career out of cycling and he never had to rely on marketing/PR for a living ... he would not last long.

I think it was an honest gaff of a statement. You can read into that all sorts of other things (complacency or even acceptance/participation in doping, etc) ... regardless, it was pretty dumb.

Hey, perhaps he and Wiggo are going to try to out stupid one another in press statements this year? Perhaps it is a new training technique for winning le Tour?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
So perhaps he thinks that Lance's comeback was inspiring even though he was a doper and he can take something from the comeback apart from doping. No idea what he could be thinking about.

did so much for so many

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Or Cunego's.

This is not, I think, meant to be a veiled admission. If it is, it's handled in a very tactless way, especially as it would draw the implication that he is still doping and that Lance is still something to be imitated. That would be stupid beyond belief. Because even if he is suggesting that he hasn't always been squeaky clean, then there are ways to do it that do much less PR damage than deliberately conflating yourself with a guy now seen as the biggest fraud in this and potentially any sport and whose public image is now toxic to the point where people have to put on Hazmat suits to defend him.

Cunego? When was that?

Thanks

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Hands up if you think Evans never doped?

Noone?

Right then. WTF is there left to talk about.

If only the extremely patriotic, small island dwellers would grace us the same brevity when it comes to Wiggins et al.

Actually, I had rather hoped he'd been more or less clean, although his Ferrarri link was a red flag. More to the point, I was hoping if he had doped, he wasn't now. Hope, no more, no less.

p.s. if you ask for a show of hands, its an idea to give people some time to respond.

So, fancy taking the one trick pony stuff back to the wiggins threads? Stick on subject, and all that?

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
He definitely has a sense of humour. And is far more intelligent than many give him credit, I believe.

Aussie humour tends to be understated / self-deprecating.

Indeed, the subtle stylings of Dame Edna, Paul Hogan and Kevin 'Bl00dy' wilson.... :rolleyes:

Mad Elephant Man said:
The obvious implication of his comment is that he is going to dope like mad this year to win the tour. The only reason he would say that is if wants to be caught so I find it hard to believe he deliberately implied that.

So perhaps he thinks that Lance's comeback was inspiring even though he was a doper and he can take something from the comeback apart from doping. No idea what he could be thinking about.

Or maybe he is implying because he is clean he will not come back. The only way to possibly comeback is to dope and he fail because he won't.
Perhaps he and BMC know he has no chance of coming back (doped or clean) and TVG is being prepared in private to be the leader. Evans is going to be the public face of BMC pretending to go to the Tour as leader with the hope of winning to keep pressure off TVG. In the race he will work for TVG.

Still not sure what your saying after a re read

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think many cyclists (especially pre BP) don't think of cyclists in terms of doping or not doping after a while. It is their job and after a while like anything they become sanitised to the environment and, in this case, to the doping (regardless if they are using PEDs or not). There are always a few brave enough to stick their head out of the parapet once in a while but once they get shot down then it further affirms the others view - it is better not to get involved.

So from many a cyclists perspective I get the impression that the doping angle is not something that really is at the forefront of their mind. If you do dope then you convince yourself that it is probably ok. If you don't, well, what can you really do in the long run.

With that in mind I think Evans is just looking at it from a purely pragmatic point of few i.e. This rider was injured and then came back to win. Doping does not really enter into his mind because it is something he has learned to live with.

I really don't think it gives an insight into whether he is doping but more how he (And much of the peloton) view doping. In a matter of fact way...

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Unlike everyone else, I had no idea what Jaja's break was for, so I went looking.

Apparently he had a stack when a copper leaned out at the finish of a stage. So I kept on reading, and thought this was ... telling. And reminded me of a couple of other teams, too.

In the 1990s he dominated Spanish stage races. Jalabert and Alex Zülle were a constant threat to other teams in the Vuelta a España, taking turns winning stages, the overall classification and the points jersey. The strength of ONCE, with domestiques such as Johan Bruyneel and Neil Stephens, meant they were able to keep a rein from start to finish.

Small, small world.

Innit?

martinvickers said:
Actually, I had rather hoped he'd been more or less clean, although his Ferrarri link was a red flag. More to the point, I was hoping if he had doped, he wasn't now. Hope, no more, no less.

p.s. if you ask for a show of hands, its an idea to give people some time to respond.

So, fancy taking the one trick pony stuff back to the wiggins threads? Stick on subject, and all that?

I get what you're saying, but if he cheated before, that still makes him a cheater & all it takes is once to ruin a career. That calls into question his tour victory imo. I think he should be stripped of the win and banned, if he(and its almost a certainty he did) doped.

Just my opinion anyways.

Do you believe all dopers should be stripped of all their careers wins irrespective of when they're proven to have doped?

86TDFWinner said:
I get what you're saying, but if he cheated before, that still makes him a cheater & all it takes is once to ruin a career. That calls into question his tour victory imo. I think he should be stripped of the win and banned, if he(and its almost a certainty he did) doped.

Just my opinion anyways.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Since when was Cadel not tone deaf? OK, 2011 was a relatively gaff-free year, but I"m beginning to see that as the exception to the rule.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
What Cadel was saying was that the long break after the TDF, that Lance often took, made him more fresh over the Winter going into the new season. Silly to use Lance's name but it was an innocent comparison.

ljpoyz said:
Do you believe all dopers should be stripped of all their careers wins irrespective of when they're proven to have doped?

Yes, Indurain, Merckx, Coppi, Evans(if doped)Fignon, everyone(who doped). Why should dopers reap the benefits of being in the record books alongside clean riders/winners? If its fair for them to strip Wonderboy, and Landis, etc, then ALL dopers should be stripped and banned as well. Just my opinion

Notice how no one talks about stripping/banning those gentlemen, wonder why that is?

D-Queued said:
Yes.

Especially when they treat us all like idiots.

Dave.

Agreed. Indurain acts as if he's immune to it, and talks to folks like they're stupid if they bring it up. Same w/Merckx, how either can comment on wanting the sport to be clean, when both have admitted it, is just lost on me. Glad LeMond has been shown to be a clean rider(probably the last "clean" TDF winner). Greg deserves MUCH praise for not caving into the masses and staying clean.

Again, just my opinion.