Tony Gallopin

Apr 11, 2009
2,067
0
0
About time there's a thread on him.

Riding really well at Tour of Oman.... Tactical nous attacking on a roundabout.

Prospects, potential.... Discuss?
 
Jan 24, 2013
354
0
0
It's hard to believe this guy hasn't won a race in two years. He is very versatile and also seems to have a good tactical sense despite not always being the strongest. And it was very clever for him to attack on the roundabout. He is a good sprinter out of a small group and is also good on hills and short climbs. It's just a shame that with Sagan around, he isn't winning that much since they're the same type of rider. I think he will be of good help to cancellara in the classics. Since gallopin isn't that well known, perhaps he can get into a breakaway in one of the classics and go for the win whilst the favourites mark eachother. With riders not that well known, the peleton often underestimate them. Like van summeren in roubaix.
 
Gallopin was very strong last year on the cobbles, he had some flat tires at bad moments else he could have gotten much better results. I think he will be Cancellara his super domestic.
 
Jan 24, 2013
354
0
0
Ruudz0r said:
Gallopin was very strong last year on the cobbles, he had some flat tires at bad moments else he could have gotten much better results. I think he will be Cancellara his super domestic.
True. I remember him attacking a couple of times in the classics. I think it was in E3 harelbeke where he had to wait behind with 10km to go because of a flat with bennati. He as well as Devolder will be of great use to cancellara.
 
Aug 16, 2011
9,595
0
0
trevim said:
I was thinking the other day that he's probably the only bright spot and revelation of the last few years of RadioShack-Nissan-Leopard-etc
I'd say Nizzolo is also a bit of a revelation for Radioshack, he's done very well with them.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,068
0
0
Very versatile rider. In the TdF he was climbing quite decently and last year he finished fifth on Green Mountain. Sadly for him Sagan is one level above him and everyone else...

But I agree I hope he will get some nice wins this season
 
Will be a good classics rider/puncheur. His uncle is also a DS, so he will probably move to wherever he goes. He needs to get out of Shack though.
France have some very good young riders coming through.
 
the asian said:
Will be a good classics rider/puncheur. His uncle is also a DS, so he will probably move to wherever he goes. He needs to get out of Shack though.
France have some very good young riders coming through.
Aside from the fact I believe "most' people should get out of shack, I am quite curious to know why you think he might do better elsewhere. The french young riders who are showing talents can do so anywhere in or outside of France. What is important for them is to have opportunities to showcase their talents in races with good coverage so the public at large get to know about them
 
Jan 24, 2013
354
0
0
I don't see why you think he should move out of radioshack. He is actually doing very well but missing on the win. And its not just him. All the riders in the team are in the same situation. I don't know why this is the case. But we'll wait and see in the classics. They have a strong squad and if Cancellara doesn't win at least one classic, its just going to be a repeat of last season for the team since their GC chances in the grand tours is not looking promising with Andy and Frank out and Kloden/horner getting too old.
 
Dedelou said:
Aside from the fact I believe "most' people should get out of shack, I am quite curious to know why you think he might do better elsewhere. The french young riders who are showing talents can do so anywhere in or outside of France. What is important for them is to have opportunities to showcase their talents in races with good coverage so the public at large get to know about them
That's the reason:p

I think Ronde/MSR will be his best bet at success in the spring classics and Shack have a reputation as team who don't care too much about the classics. They were forced to do so because Cancellara came with the merger.
FDJ is building a good team for the classics, He can be a good double punch with Bouhanni.
 
Jan 24, 2013
354
0
0
the asian said:
That's the reason:p

I think Ronde/MSR will be his best bet at success in the spring classics and Shack have a reputation as team who don't care too much about the classics. They were forced to do so because Cancellara came with the merger.
FDJ is building a good team for the classics, He can be a good double punch with Bouhanni.
Gallopin will succeed in some of the semi-classics if he goes on an attack because I think he isn't a very marked rider. And yes he might do well with bouhanni in FDJ but that team has too many of his type of riders.
If radioshack didn't care much about the classics then why did they bring in hondo and devolder? they could have signed some climbers for the grand tours. Kiserlovski isn't enough.
Their classics team is looking much better than their grand tour/stage race teams.
 
gruppeto993 said:
Gallopin will succeed in some of the semi-classics if he goes on an attack because I think he isn't a very marked rider. And yes he might do well with bouhanni in FDJ but that team has too many of his type of riders.
If radioshack didn't care much about the classics then why did they bring in hondo and devolder? they could have signed some climbers for the grand tours. Kiserlovski isn't enough.
Their classics team is looking much better than their grand tour/stage race teams.
That is becuse of Cancellara. If Fabian leaves at the end of the year as expected, they won't care too much about the classics. Hondo and Devolder are on their last legs too and have been clearly brought for the very short term.
Plus there is so much uncertainty about the team.
 
Aug 16, 2011
9,595
0
0
Bump. ;)

Fantastic Tour he's having. Bak said he did a recon of this stage so knew it well. Good thing he did, pretty much crushed it today.
 
Aug 4, 2010
9,234
0
0
Very good rider,a bit underestimated I think.His comeback after mechanical in Brabantse pijl was truly epic too:eek:

Congrats for today Tony:)
 
Nov 23, 2013
52
0
0
Tony Gallopin Discussion Thread

Not sure if he has a thread yet, sorry if he does. Super talented rider, fast enough to top ten a sprint in MSR and Worlds this year, good enough climber to finish 7th in hard Lombardia. Has also finished just outside top 20 in Liege and Flanders (in 2014 Flanders he finished with Stybar, Degenkolb and Sagan).

Loves the long distances, with 1 of his 7 wins coming in a race under 100 miles/160km. Here are his best results in some one-day races:

Worlds-6
MSR-9
Flanders-23
Liege-20
Lombardy-7
E3-6
San Sebastian-1
Amstel-6
FW-16

Also not afraid to risk it in an attack like he showed in PN, San Sebastian and TDF. How well can this guy do?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS