• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Ok didn't realise it was steep in the end. However, the climb comes very early, so i excpect soft pedaling amonf the favs, so Tony should be fine here.

I hope for your sakes that they do soft pedal, otherwise Mellow Velo might be right, this might very well become the Tony Martin Broomwagon Thread!! :p

I do believe Tony has the capabilities to make a top 5-10 Tour at some point.
However, at this Tour, 10th would be a fantastic performance.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
You are not afraid of the fact that they go above 2000m 3 times???

I think that is worse for Martin than a steep climb of 5km

also I'm not convinced if he can do 3 weeks. he didn't show in the tour 2009 but I think he could be able too, just has to proove it yet

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
The problem with Tony Martin is that he will have to take his turn at the Cavendish train for long periods in at least 5 stages: 3rd, 5th, 7th, 11th & 15th. He may have mollycuddle Cavendish in stage 10 and 21 also. The problem with HTC is that they are so focused with the sprints and the TTT that they will sacrifice and destroy whatever miniscule chances that Tony has in the GC. Tony Martin would do better in a different team where he can be a joint leader with a better GC rider. I like him as a rider but unless he gets out of HTC he will never succeed with respect to GC in grand tours.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
The sky will be his limit.

PROFIL.gif

my god is this course tailor made for soler or what. also uran

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Tony Martin's official results are noteworthy--but nowhere near as notable as his leaked results.

The "big surprise" from Tony Martin ain't gonna be a Tour podium, boys.

boomcie said:
"Bayerische Reiter" is profiling himself as the German equivalent of ACF, with the difference that his expectations of a certain rider are even less realistic than ACF's. If you want an additional example of this kind of fanaticism: cf. El Pistolet - Gilbert.

It is great to have this breed of passionate people on the forum,
Really? I find it incredibly tiresome. I understand having favourite riders, but blind fanboyism is incredibly annoying.

hrotha said:
Really? I find it incredibly tiresome. I understand having favourite riders, but blind fanboyism is incredibly annoying.

indeed. hyping is fun from time to time even going a bit too far just for lulz. but constant hyping and hijacking every single thread with said hyping is really annoying

also posting on every race thread where said hyped rider isn't racing and even if he were he would have no chance of winning and calling the race boring(giro) or unimportant(vuelta, and the vuelta hasn't even started!!!) is just too much.

Parrulo said:
indeed. hyping is fun from time to time even going a bit too far just for lulz. but constant hyping and hijacking every single thread with said hyping is really annoying

also posting on every race thread where said hyped rider isn't racing and even if he were he would have no chance of winning and calling the race boring(giro) or unimportant(vuelta, and the vuelta hasn't even started!!!) is just too much.

To be fair the anti Giro and Vuelta trolling is very much part of what youd expect from a devoted Tony Martin fan. Martin himself has said (cant find the article, maybe someone remembers it) that only the Tour de France means anything.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah but that doesn't change the fact it's tailor made for him. I lost my believe but sitll deep down inside I have some hope. but it's minimal

it's tailor made for guys who like the long high altitude and not too steep climbs. so perfect for soler

Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah but that doesn't change the fact it's tailor made for him. I lost my believe but sitll deep down inside I have some hope. but it's minimal

it's tailor made for guys who like the long high altitude and not too steep climbs. so perfect for soler

Not to steep climbs. Oh what a shame Rujano isnt here.

Ive been hearing a lot about how the condor seems to like high altitude. Could be good for him then.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:

I'm also against the blind fanboyism. But admittedly sometimes they also strengthen the debate.

Quote from a while back:
boomcie said:
...The fact of the matter is that I dislike all blind fanboyism. I can't say I look upon Armstrong fans differently than I look upon Contador or Vino or Valverde fans. Or Sastre fans for that matter. Being a fan is very much OK until that fan starts vigorously and aggressively defending his/her idols. That, I don't like. Contador fans can be pretty damn annoying that way.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I dont have a problem with blind fanboyism (Wiggo to podium for sure :rolleyes:) but surely this should be the 'Tony Martin Panzerwagen Thread'?

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
To be fair the anti Giro and Vuelta trolling is very much part of what youd expect from a devoted Tony Martin fan. Martin himself has said (cant find the article, maybe someone remembers it) that only the Tour de France means anything.

But be fair, too, I wonder what is worse.
A Tony Martin fanboy, or the dozents of
"TonyMartincantclimbandIwillfeelgreatandbetheforumherohavingpartywithmymateswhenheisdroppedinthemountainsbythebestclimbersoftheworld"-posters, who troll this thread now and also mostly tend to overhype the Giro and hate+bash le Tour.

I figured, that there are 2 reasons for bashing and overhyping Giro (Vuelta a little bit, too):
- Lance Armstrong won le Tour 7 times in a row (haters)
- Anglophone forumites who have to compensate something and stand out

:D

Well about Tony's comment, he said something like that. And that is true for the majority of average public, TV viewers, riders and even MOST of (honest) hardcorefans.
Look:
- 99% of Italian riders dream about winning Giro or a Giro-stage
- 95% of the ALL other riders dream about winning le Tour or a stage
- 95% of ALL cyclingfans and riders would agree that le Tour is the most important race, while 99% of Italian racers and fans of course think so about the Giro

Cobblestoned said:
But be fair, too, I wonder what is worse.
A Tony Martin fanboy, or the dozents of "TonyMartincantclimbandIwillfeelgreatandbetheforumherohavingpartywithmy mateswhenheisdroppedinthemountainsbythebestclimbersoftheworld"-posters, who troll this thread now
Funny thing, no one (with the possible exception of Libertine) said anything bad about Martin until Bavarianrider popped up. Evans gets a lot of flak too. Something to think about, eh?

TRENDING THREADS